Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 10-24-2018, 06:41 PM

Default What do you use your 20-222 for???

As I've mentioned in one of the 20-222 threads, I have a 20-222 build in the works. Mine will be wearing a Hart 11tw #4 finished at 26 inches. I'm thinking I'll likely shoot the Berger 35 grainers the most because I've heard they work pretty good on coyotes and that'll be what this little gun gets used for the most. For ground squirrels or PD's, I'll likely work up a load with the 32gr Vmax as they tend to give good aerial affects and generally have a high splat factor.

Kinda curious what the rest of you 20-222 shooters use yours for and what bullet you prefer and why. Not looking for a debate on which bullet is best or anything like that so please keep that in mind. Being new to the 20-222 I'm just curious what folks use theirs for.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:59 PM

I have had mine for around 6 years now, it is the one that I grab out of the safe most times, it just works. I have shot everything available out here in my patch of country, rabbits, hares, foxes, cats, a couple of dogs, hundreds of roos, wild goats, feral pigs and fallow deer. Very few need a second shot and if they do it is because I failed and not the rifle/cartridge combination.
I just use 32gn Zmax projectiles these days, mainly because of the price of them compared to others, but also because they are just as accurate in my rifle as anything else I have tried. Getting on towards 3000 shots thru the tube now, which is a Pacnor 1-11 Super match grade. I have a spare barrel already threaded and chambered for when this one goes off.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:37 AM

Default What do you use your 20-222 for ??

Camel: Have you given the Midsouth Shooters Varmint nightmares a go? I understand the Nosler made the 34 grain HP, cup and core bullet especially for the commercial hunters in Aus for shooting roos, etc.
I have shot them in all my 20 calibers, even some in the 17 cal and they shoot very well, will hold their own with a worked up load, with the z or v-max bullets. Midsouth and Midway have them a very good prices, per 500.
They are also available from Nosler, as Shots and Midwayusa as Dogtown.
Just a thought and wondering, if you had. Bill K
Old 10-25-2018, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Camel: Have you given the Midsouth Shooters Varmint nightmares a go? I understand the Nosler made the 34 grain HP, cup and core bullet especially for the commercial hunters in Aus for shooting roos, etc.
I have shot them in all my 20 calibers, even some in the 17 cal and they shoot very well, will hold their own with a worked up load, with the z or v-max bullets. Midsouth and Midway have them a very good prices, per 500.
I thought they discontinued the Shots? I have four boxes of them but haven't been able to find any more. Maybe no one is importing them now..... it sucks up here some times

To the OP. I use mine mostly for coyotes and gophers if I can get out to a buddy's farm. Sadly (well not really they are destructive critters) right where I live the gophers don't like the soil/clay. I originally used 55 grain Berger for yotes but have gone to the 40 grain. They shoot as good as the 55's but are about $15 a box cheaper. With the fast twist I can't go lighter than that, the 35's keyhole and I don't think lighter than that would make it to the target

Last edited by Grey_Wolf; 10-25-2018 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:54 AM

Default What do you use your 20-222 for ???

I have not checked Noslers site ( Shooting Pro Shop) lately, but last I did they still had them.
However Midsouth and Midway still carry them, in their lineup, under the names they each use. I will keep shooting them, as long as I can, as they work well and are cheap, until next year june-2019 when I have to go to non-lead, all the way in commie Kalifornia, to save the Condor. Bill K
Old 10-25-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I have not checked Noslers site ( Shooting Pro Shop) lately, but last I did they still had them.
However Midsouth and Midway still carry them, in their lineup, under the names they each use. I will keep shooting them, as long as I can, as they work well and are cheap, until next year june-2019 when I have to go to non-lead, all the way in commie Kalifornia, to save the Condor. Bill K
I looked at Nosler's site and they do not list the Shots
Old 10-27-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:

G'day Bill, no mate, haven't tried them, I don't believe they are available here, and I haven't tried looking for them, but with the Hornady Zmax being so cheap and available and just working perfectly, I will stick with them, I have 4 or more thousand of them on hand, they don't have a best before date, and don't go moldy.
I started using Nosler BT 32gners when I first built the rifle, they shot very well as did the 32gn Vmax, they all shot into the same group of approx 1/2 inch, but as the latter two are nearly twice as pricy and the Zmax, well, you can guess why I stick with the Zmax
Took the 20 out last night on a roo cull, the boss and I needed some dog tucker, I shot 7 for 8 shots, first one missed but to me being a bit rusty and rushing, all the roos were shot at the butt of the ear out to a max range of 240yds, there was almost no bone to cut through when removing the heads. They just work so well.

Last edited by camel; 10-27-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:08 PM

Just a little more on the use of projectiles for professional kangaroo shooting using a 20 calibre, the accepted code of practice limits the projectiles to 40gn weight or above, so I don't know about the legalities of using those 34gn weight bullets. I am pretty sure that this is for 204 Ruger, I have no idea on legalities of the use of wildcats for pro shooting.
I don't know how the authorities will know what weight you use, unless one of the NPWS rangers goes with you in the vehicle, and I am pretty sure that won't happen, as I doubt there is any professional roo shooter who would want one of those bastards in the vehicle with them.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:21 AM

32 gr zmax for me mostly paper until I find a coyote. Have yet to try to the dogtown bullets in mine but in everything else I've shot them in they are very accurate. And cheap
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 11-05-2018, 12:15 AM

Hi guys,
I'm a fur hunter and have been very pleased with the one I had built a cple months ago. I'm getting great accuracy using LT-30 and berger 35's in a 12 twist Hart. Every Coyote has went down with a single shot.
This hunting load is getting me 3825 fps with a 24" barrel. Very pleased.

Mike for Wyoming