Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-12-2019, 08:35 PM

Default Browning 1885 in 22 Hornet

Both of you and the others have some fine looking rifles there. Thanks all for sharing the photo's. Bill K
Old 01-13-2019, 04:05 PM

Getting all fired up again on rats. I'm guessing our 4 year hiatus has to stop. That should have let the rats replenish in our old stomping grounds.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:20 PM

Elalto, great looking rifles.

Thanks Bill K.........glad you enjoyed the pics. Sure is nice to look at rifles, I know I really enjoy it.

Doug, thanks! Very cool "Killer Bee" and your new Browning Hornet is a sweetheart. I'm sure you'll be pleased with yours. I like the grain on your new hornet stock very much. "Starburst" as I call it. Very cool figure.

My rifle stock looks much better in person, as I'm sure yours does as well. It's difficult to do them justice with pics sometimes. I was very pleased when mine arrived, as it's condition and stock figure was much enhanced once I had it in hand. The pictures provided prior to me purchasing mine were less than stellar.

Daryl..........bring on the "spring". I'm excited to venture off and find new territory. Give my usual hits a bit of a break. In any event, ground dwelling vermin will be in trouble here real soon.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:43 AM
Supporting Member

Austin I've discovered over the years that my photo skills (or definite lack there of), leave every firearm I take pictures of looking better in person.
Foxhunter always use to take photos that had to be comparable to the real thing cause they looked so good, he's real gifted at it.
In person or not that rifle of yours is really special. Is yours a new rifle? Serial number tells me mine was made in 1995, the year they came out I think. Sure looks newer then that however, it was either used very little or was seriously cared for.
I'm with ya on spring, can't get here to soon even though we've had a real mild winter compared to most. Long ways from over though so only time will tell.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
Austin I've discovered over the years that my photo skills (or definite lack there of), leave every firearm I take pictures of looking better in person.
Foxhunter always use to take photos that had to be comparable to the real thing cause they looked so good, he's real gifted at it.
In person or not that rifle of yours is really special. Is yours a new rifle? Serial number tells me mine was made in 1995, the year they came out I think. Sure looks newer then that however, it was either used very little or was seriously cared for.
I'm with ya on spring, can't get here to soon even though we've had a real mild winter compared to most. Long ways from over though so only time will tell.
Mines also like new but made in 1995 as well. How cool!!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Supporting Member

Austin my rifle took a little trip to the Gun Doctor today , a bit slow for him now what with big game season over and gophers still in their hidy-holes till spring. So I sat there drank coffee and talked fishing hunting and basic bored guy stuff while he tweaked mine's trigger, he's a top hand, heavy into bench rest shooting now. He worked at a shop before he started his own where they did warranty work on the Brownings and a number of others. This evening I dry-fired a 10 shot string and the electric trigger pull gauge informed me the average of the 10 was 1lb 7oz, very little variance between pulls, zero creep and crisp as the proverbial icicle, I'm grinning .
I told him I got that new Bushnell elite 4500 4X16X40 and the said bring it in here and I'll stick it on for ya.
He also turned me on to an old Bob Hope line that'd be "WAY" before your time cause it's even before mine. Way off topic but I found it funny. Click on this link then watch the short video clip. It's probably inappropriate (definitely political and keeps with the stupid zombie topic), if a moderator thinks it should go I'll be glad to disappear it .
You Tube so there's a lotta off color junk with it but all I watched was the short Bob Hope clip, he use to do shows in the Nam, Korea and WWII, quite a guy. A true Patriot!

https://www.google.com/search?client...31.3v0uz-k2GK8

I'm getting a bad case of gopher brain but it's 5 degrees out there right now so it's time to reload cause we got a while yet before the rat smackage begins. To much outta me, must be all that coffee today .
Old 01-15-2019, 01:55 PM

Default Browning 1885 in 22 Hornet

I remember that movie Doug. Shows my age.. Heavens he said it right, even back then. Hope was a fine man and it did much for the troops during WWII & Korea. A great entertainer and he brought along some fine ladies to cheer up the boys especially. Bill K
Old 01-15-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
Austin my rifle took a little trip to the Gun Doctor today, a bit slow for him now what with big game season over and gophers still in their hidy-holes till spring. So I sat there drank coffee and talked fishing hunting and basic bored guy stuff while he tweaked mine's trigger, he's a top hand, heavy into bench rest shooting now. He worked at a shop before he started his own where they did warranty work on the Brownings and a number of others. This evening I dry-fired a 10 shot string and the electric trigger pull gauge informed me the average of the 10 was 1lb 7oz, very little variance between pulls, zero creep and crisp as the proverbial icicle, I'm grinning.
I told him I got that new Bushnell elite 4500 4X16X40 and the said bring it in here and I'll stick it on for ya.
He also turned me on to an old Bob Hope line that'd be "WAY" before your time cause it's even before mine. Way off topic but I found it funny. Click on this link then watch the short video clip. It's probably inappropriate (definitely political and keeps with the stupid zombie topic), if a moderator thinks it should go I'll be glad to disappear it .
You Tube so there's a lotta off color junk with it but all I watched was the short Bob Hope clip, he use to do shows in the Nam, Korea and WWII, quite a guy. A true Patriot!

https://www.google.com/search?client...31.3v0uz-k2GK8

I'm getting a bad case of gopher brain but it's 5 degrees out there right now so it's time to reload cause we got a while yet before the rat smackage begins. To much outta me, must be all that coffee today .

Thanks for the youtube link Doug. Good stuff........"you mean like democrats".

Glad you got your rifle trigger tweaked on, sounds sweet. Mine is pulling 2.75lbs crisp after adjusting the "factory adjustment screw", but I wouldn't mind a pull closer to yours. Nobody around here I trust to work on it, cept maybe myself.....maybe. Might pull out the parts and send off to Lee Shaver, but it's pretty dang nice actually, even at 2.75. I'll probably just shoot it as is this spring and get the trigger tweaked if I deem necessary.

Mild winter here as well, even still, good riddance.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:56 PM

I finally had a chance to shoot my new to me Browning 1885 22 Hornet. I took my Ruger #1 22 Hornet for comparison. I wanted to see if the 1885 would shoot as well. No problem! They both shoot great and I am a very happy camper. I have some cracked ribs so it was a bit uncomfortable shooting from the bench until I saw how well the 1885 shoots. Sage rats are hereby put on notice.. I am coming for you! I ordered my 1885 about an hour before seeing this post, I was salivating until it arrived. I will have to see if I can take some pictures later.
Bill
Old 01-25-2019, 11:49 PM
Supporting Member

Please do on the pictures Bill and I hope the ribs get better soon!