Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-19-2019, 03:40 PM

Default 17 cleaning rod

A few years back I bought a carbon 17 cleaning rod at cabelas, maybe 10 years ago, knurled aluminum handle, cap comes off bottom of handle, and has a storage area. Rod has bearings and spins. I looked up on the inter net and could not find one like it. Thought maybe a tipton but they do not have the same type of handle. Getting old and can't remember things like I use to. Anybody think they know what I have? I think I paid 37 dollars, may have been ten years ago.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
A few years back I bought a carbon 17 cleaning rod at cabelas, maybe 10 years ago, knurled aluminum handle, cap comes off bottom of handle, and has a storage area. Rod has bearings and spins. I looked up on the inter net and could not find one like it. Thought maybe a tipton but they do not have the same type of handle. Getting old and can't remember things like I use to. Anybody think they know what I have? I think I paid 37 dollars, may have been ten years ago.
Pro shot cleaning rods are what I use. Not sure what you've got there.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:59 PM

Yup, I have a Pro Shot uncoated SS cleaning rod in most calibers, including a 17. I used to work with exotic composite materials, and have had too many broken pieces of fibers stuck into my fingers to use a carbon rod by choice.

I think Kleen-Bore made some coated 17 rods for air guns, but I didn't like them. Too flexible.

Last edited by TinMan; 08-19-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:12 PM

The cleaning rod I use for my .17 & .20 cals is a Gunslick CF rod. I've had it for quite a few years and never had any problems with it, but I also use good quality bore guides that help prevent the rod from bowing so maybe that has attributed to my good luck with the small CF rod.

But, to be honest, until a couple months ago when there was a thread that talked about people breaking their small caliber CF cleaning rods, I never really thought about mine breaking. Now that it has been brought up, I'll likely look into getting a good quality SS cleaning rod for my .17's and 20's.

As for which cleaning rod the OP is talking about, I'm not sure I've ever heard of one that fits his description.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:29 PM

I have Pro-shot and Tipton rods. SS in pro=shot and carbon in the tipton, never have gave me any issues. but then again I don't force either or abuse them, so don't fear bending or having shattering, as some say their rods have done.
as to the brand you have, never saw one with a storage area in handle. Others to have the spin bearings on the grip, so rod is able to turn when working in the bores.
I just bought a 17 caliber Hoppe's rod and it seems to be a good one also.
Just some thoughts. Bill K
Old 08-19-2019, 04:33 PM

Pulled out an older brownells book and found its a pro-tec carbon fiber rod. No name on it lucky they had a good picture in the book.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:42 PM

The old brownells book has new marked beside the item in the book, Pro tec may not be in business anymore , can not find anything on their products.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:13 PM

Default ProTec rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
Pulled out an older brownells book and found its a pro-tec carbon fiber rod. No name on it lucky they had a good picture in the book.
I have one of those too. Nice rod - came with 17 caliber, 22 caliber and pistol rods in a set. Nice aluminum handle with two sets of bearings and storage for brushes etc in the handle. I think I got it at an NRA show / convention in St Louis quite a few years back.

The only references I can find on the net are around 15 years old.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 08-19-2019, 06:26 PM

Recently purchased a 17 cal Montana Extreme rod. Very nicely made and available in longer lengths. Every 17 cal rode I found was to short and resulted in having to raise the handle to get it past the stock which resulted in a bow--not good. The only problem with the 17 cal longer rod, other than price, is that it becomes rather "whippy" and you need to be careful not to bend end it.
Bob
Old 08-19-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Acker View Post
Recently purchased a 17 cal Montana Extreme rod.
I don't have any of their cleaning rods but I've been using more and more of their products and I like their stuff a lot.