Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-06-2019, 02:45 PM

Default Berger .20 cal. 55 grain bullets

Just a reminder: Berger has decided to do one run of these bullets each year. The only retailer you can order them from is Graf and Sons. Grafs is taking orders right now. I suspect (but am not sure) that Berger is going to do their production run sometime this month because when I talked to Berger they said they would be doing one production run per year in September. Once that run is sold out, there will be no more for another year. So.....CALL GRAFS AND GET YOUR ORDER IN NOW!!

Jordan
Old 09-06-2019, 05:02 PM

Stan Taylor has the entire setup to make your own for sale.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...-dies.3984578/
Old 09-07-2019, 02:47 AM

Location: Blasted hellish frozen Northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota

I am both butt ignorant and intrigued. We have a .204 Ruger rifle, for which the factory ammo and reloading projectiles we have on hand have nowhere NEAR that projectile weight/SD.

What cartridge/twist rate is such a projectile meant for?
Old 09-07-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert2368 View Post
I am both butt ignorant and intrigued. We have a .204 Ruger rifle, for which the factory ammo and reloading projectiles we have on hand have nowhere NEAR that projectile weight/SD.

The 55gr berger is the most amazing 20cal bullet I've ever used. They are amazing in a 204 ruger and flat ridiculous in a 20 dasher.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert2368 View Post

Berger recommends a 7 twist barrel. As for what it's meant for pick any one of the 20 cal wildcats. My 20 Extreme loved those things
Old 09-07-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
The 55gr berger is the most amazing 20cal bullet I've ever used. They are amazing in a 204 ruger and flat ridiculous in a 20 dasher.
And they're SuperDuper crazy awesome in my 8tw 20-250!
Old 09-07-2019, 10:01 AM

Default Welcome aboard Bert!

I shoot them in my 20 Dasher and love them,but since the original scare when Berger decided to discontinue them I have started to look at other options from the custom makers.There was such an out cry from the small caliber shooters Berger decided to do a once a year run,which is what a lot of us thought would be prudent and now appreciate.I think I will buy some just to show my support and build my reserves up
As far as your 204 it is probably a 12 twist and will best be served with the various 32 grain bullets,definitely the 40 Berger and the 39 Sierra BK,and perhaps the 40 VMax would work.Berger has a really cool twist calculator on their site that shows what twists work the best for all the different bullet weights.
Hold on to your wallet as the great folks here are very willing and able to help you spend money and really get deep into this sport
VolDoc made a pd kill with this bullet out of a 20BR beyond 1000 yards which is documented over on 6BR.com,great story.If you have a Savage, a bolt head and barrel and dies wouldn’t be that much to get into shooting these wonderful bullets
Matt

Last edited by 17VLD; 09-07-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:10 PM

My suggestion is to buy enough to burn out your barrel. Often with calls and letter writing campaigns companies find out that your lucky to get 10-20% of the sales people promise to buy. Everybody here will probably order 2000, but many who called emailed won't buy a box. If they don't sell this time, they might not make them next time. The Dasher would be interesting.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:48 PM

I can assure you, you dont need a 7 twist to shoot the 55's.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:54 PM

For the 50 grn and higher 20 caliber bullets a 1/7 twist is the way to go.
As for a decent supply, either stock up when Berger has them out or give someone like Badger Bob ( posts here) a call for his bullet line. They and sweet and good bullets and in higher weights. Bill K ( last ph # I had on Bob was 307-784-7852)