Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2019, 05:50 AM
Supporting Member

Considering I bought it originally in about 95 for $4,800.00, "Wholesale, I was in the Auto business", then I maintained the bee-jees out of it, that aside.
$10,829.00 for the crate engine, transmission, Air Conditioner redone to the new ozone friendly gas and some other stuff.
$11,000.00 even for the body, paint, Diamond plate tool box and top of bed protector, bed liner etc. $2,560.00 for suspension , shocks and what not and about $2200.00 for polished alloy wheels and tires. I come up with $26,589.00 plus a $2,100.00ish sound system and I get $28,689.00. All fluids have been changed and for all wants and purposes for my needs and some hobby factor of the old hot-rod days it's dang sure not something you can buy new off the showroom.
Keep in mind that As the man said, "When your going to New York ya don't get off in Chicago". The engine and stuff it from the GM Performance group so this could a been done quite nicely for a lot less. That said a guy buying one of the tricked out 89 pickups ya see going through the line at "Barret Jackson" would spit on this.
Oh, I forgot to mention that the interior was completely redone buy the best guy anywhere near here, headliner, new carpeting, seats built to my physical issues, bad back and whatnot. Did I mention the transfer case gone through and updated.
My beloved Bride did this for me. She said "Every time we get a new car you give me the keys, it's time you got a new truck". To each his own but I wanted this instead of a new one so there it is. Coulda knocked the $8689.00ish off a this without to much trouble and still had a nice outfit but this is the last truck I'll ever buy I imagine so as I said. "When you're going to New York ya don't get off in Chicago".
As to what I saved off a new one, I'm not sure. I'd guess $12,000.00 to $20,000.00. Just think 20VarTarg, you were 5 years old and learning how to ride a bicycle when that truck rolled off the assembly line. Now you're a young man with most a your life ahead of ya and that truck as well as my dumb butt are both getting overhauled piece at a time .
If ya do decide to get one put together make dang sure they are the real deal, not all mechanics know "Come" from "Sic-Em". Engine, and Tranny have a 3 year 100,000 mile Warranty. I'll for sure do the time a heck of a long time before the miles. The Guy that did the work I've known since 1980, he really knows his stuff and he's honest, can't ask for more.
Keep me posted if ya put one together, next best thing to buying something is watching someone else buy something .
I think I just wrote a book .
Old 09-10-2019, 11:40 AM

Default Nice work Doug!

When we first talked about this I never imagined how well it would turn out.
Well sir I think you really have some kind of vision,it is dang nice.
I know why they call Chicago the “Windy City”cause you didn’t stop at all you blew by going way over 120mph
Matt
Old 09-10-2019, 12:48 PM
Supporting Member

Doug the old gal came out beautiful. Congratulations, I know you're gong to enjoy her.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:38 PM

Just think 20VarTarg, you were 5 years old and learning how to ride a bicycle when that truck rolled off the assembly line. Now you're a young man with most a your life ahead of ya and that truck as well as my dumb butt are both getting overhauled piece at a time

It's hard to believe I was only 5 then. But I remember this style truck fondly. My father had one back in the day. Gun rack hanging in the back window. He left is Remington 788 chambered in 222 in that rack on a hot summer day and the plastic melted into the stock. I "borrowed" that rifle from him about 4 years ago and when he got it back the stock was all redone on her. He couldn't believe it. Still one of his favorite rifles. Killed many many woodchucks with that rifle throughout the years. Here in Ohio the trucks rot out pretty quick with all the salt on the roads. I'm sure there are still some survivors out there. I may still be a young man compared to some on here but I will tell you one thing, some days it doesn't feel like it. I hope someday I can do something like this Doug.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Sounds like you blew hell out of that planned $12,500.

Sure looks nice though, hope you don't take it out and wreck it now.

Doug: here's a serious question. How much will your insurance company
insure it for now that's it like new again?

I've often wondered as there's a lot of old vehicles around here that have
been rebuilt to fancy rides.
Thanks.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 09-12-2019 at 03:48 AM. Reason: etc
Old 09-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Supporting Member

George I called my insurance company and asked my agent how much to insure that 1989 truck for $28,000.00 instead of the $1500.00 it probably books for. As to $12500.00 it was kind of a guess, "oops!" guessed wrong !
She says says she'll call me back, she does and says it it'll "save me" about $20.00 something on our complete policy every 6 months. I Says "save?" yupper "Saves me money"!
Seems because I have a completely clean record, don't drive much all helps but the Big ONE! It's an antique! Over 25 years, (this ones, 30) so it's an antique much like myself and As long as I'm not driving it a lot it saves me money, go figure! Permanent plates so no tags ever again and and it saves me money on insurance even though it's full everything and low deductibles. Maybe if I build a couple more they'll pay me to drive it . Surprised heck outta me .
Old 09-13-2019, 04:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

That sure don't tell me much.

Ok, if it saves you money, guess that's ok.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-13-2019, 01:15 PM

As I recall, most states that have antique plates put an annual miles driven limit, like 3000 or 5000 miles. Might want to check that out if that is an issue. .

Last edited by TinMan; 09-14-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:01 PM

Sweet ride Doug! Turned out great.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:25 PM
Supporting Member

Yesterday it went to Helena and the sound system was finished. 120 Watt Sub-Woofer, 4 speakers and a fairly basic (by choice) Cd Alpine Receiver, Bluetooth etc. The old rock and roller and country westerner and blues guy and what not came out in me. So I went a little farther then I was thinking .
Years back before they were talking about Federal Prisons and such I downloaded a couple thousand old songs off "Lime-Wire, Kaza and what not. I have all those old tunes on my smarter then me phone and it'll bluetooth that music through that receiver and really rock the house. It was pretty much the final step on that truck, gotta have tunes .
The amount of technology any more really boggles my mind.