Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-24-2016, 09:37 AM

Default Nosler .17 cal. bullets

Does anyone have any experience with the two Nosler bullets? My shots are often super close and rarely over 100 yds and I have an equal chance at a coyote, a bobcat, or a red/grey fox showing up and hoping for no splash and no exit and no tracking. I'm using a .17 Remington and have had good luck with 25 gr Rem HP ....so far, but would like to try the Nosler that's closest to my coveted stash of Berger 25 and 30 Target Match HP's no longer made or the Rem. HP 25

http://www.nosler.com/varmageddon-ammunition

The video on the page is NOT encouraging

Last edited by dimecovers3; 12-24-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:39 PM
Supporting Member

The hp is a better fur saver than the plastic tipped version, but neither one was designed for fur hunting and saving fur...........

"...........hoping for no splash and no exit and no tracking" is being highly optimistic with either bullet at 17 Rem velocities inside of 100 yards.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 12-24-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Supporting Member

What BCB said. V Max will tear em up real good. I use Hornadys FBHP's but still get a splash once in awhile. But when I put it where it's supposed to be I get a nice Fur. I too shoot 100 and under.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
What BCB said. V Max will tear em up real good. I use Hornadys FBHP's but still get a splash once in awhile. But when I put it where it's supposed to be I get a nice Fur. I too shoot 100 and under.
What Stevo said..........

For years I've used nothing but the Hornady 25 grain HP and/or the 25 grain plated HP from Remington. The Hornady bullet is still readily available and I have a good supply of the Rem bullet from years ago.

I've tried others but those two bullets seem to perform best for me....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-24-2016, 02:34 PM

Default Nosler .17 cal bullets

Up close and personal like that with the 17 Rem, either of those bullets will open them up real good. Sudden death, but not very good chance for fur salvage. Bill K
Old 12-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17 cal Nosler

My issue with the Noslers is accuracy. In fact not including what I would call premium bullets ie Berger, Nagle and some customs none of the mentioned bullets shoot well in my 17rems except that Rem factory 25gr HP. I have a small stash of them and if your diligent they show up now and then. Those that were a little more astute than me gobbled them up so I hang around looking for the leftovers. Like the others I've never shot a thin skinned animal with a 17 Rem that didn't make a mess, others have but I haven't. But to be fair most of my targets are 75 to 150 lbs and I'm not a fur hunter.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:25 PM

The Remington is a good fur bullet. I've actually shot two coyotes head on in the chest and the entrance hole was literally a pin prick of blood. There was no actual visible "hole" as I guess the hide stretched back over it. Both were under 50 yards calling. Insides did not sound so good though when I lifted them by the tail.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:36 PM

There are 2 lots of the Remington bullets on gunbroker.