Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-12-2020, 05:16 PM

Default Leupold Custom Shop......

Well I was running a fixed 20X Leupold on a big bore rifle and it just didn't hold up. So I'm planning on sending it into Leupold for Service and figured while it was there I would replace the fine crosshair reticle with a fine crosshair with DOT reticle. I really like the dot reticle. BUT.....the customer service representative told me on the phone that the Custom Shop is shut down and IF they open back up it wouldn't be until the second half of the year. And costs are going to go UP!!!!! What is going on with Leupold??? Does anyone have any insight to this. I hope they aren't in trouble financially. The scary part to all of this was him saing "IF". Like maybe the custom shop may never open again. YIKES!!!!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:40 PM

Don't know anything about Leupold, but Nikon announced a couple of months ago that they were stopping making rifle scopes, but will keep making binoculars. There are issues in the camera market also, so maybe optics companies are experiencing tough markets and times.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Don't know anything about Leupold, but Nikon announced a couple of months ago that they were stopping making rifle scopes, but will keep making binoculars. There are issues in the camera market also, so maybe optics companies are experiencing tough markets and times.
The rifle scope niche for Nikon is such a small market segment for them I am not surprised they would get out of it. I have been an avid photographer for years and have always shot Nikon gear bodies and lenses. They make very high quality camera bodies and lenses.

That being said, I have always put Leupold glass on my rifles and have only had one problem, and that was taken care of under warranty without any cost to me except shipping to get the scope back to them. I have not heard anything about their custom shop not being open but I believe that department is where all of the CDS dial work is done if I am not mistaken.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:54 AM

I believe Nikon is simply virtue signaling by getting away from shooting and blood sport to appease their birding and photography customer base.

- DAA
Old 02-13-2020, 01:40 PM

Good point, maybe they are just drinking the Kool-Aid from Bloomberg and the rest of the New York Liberals.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
I believe Nikon is simply virtue signaling by getting away from shooting and blood sport to appease their birding and photography customer base.

- DAA
Why do you believe that? Any facts that led you to that opinion?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:11 PM

Just the reports I read and one I heard on the news on the radio.

Here's just one, I read several like it at the time.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/ge...e-riflescopes/

A quote from that one:

"...is completely about internal politics rather than consumer preference. They are trying to expand binocular sales in Europe and association with guns causes problems ins some types of shops over there. Additionally, there is just no domestic - as in Japanese domestic - support for being part of the blood sports."

- DAA
Old 02-14-2020, 02:50 PM

In reading the article, it would seem to me that their reason, is the Japanese owner/management are more following the anti-hunt/animal right thinking. No dead animal photo's, etc. is the main reason for dropping the hunting line of optics directly. Scopes are used on weapons to kill animals. Binos and such are used by hunters, but they don't directly attach to make the final kill, like the scope does. Weird reasoning, I think, but then again the anti-hunt/kill thoughts in some people brains is out of wrack anyway. Bill K

we can just happy others don't fall for this and will still offer hunters products we want, use and like.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:15 PM

Also, Nikon has had some soft camera sales lately, especially for the mirrorless DSLRs. They brought out a bunch of new high end (pro market) cameras and new, bigger lens diameters, and it taking some time for them to get all the assortment of lenses into the market. I have had Nikon cameras, both film and digital, since the mid 70's but the new ones are way out of my prices range. It is very expense to change systems between brands or compatibilities.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
In reading the article, it would seem to me that their reason, is the Japanese owner/management are more following the anti-hunt/animal right thinking. No dead animal photo's, etc. is the main reason for dropping the hunting line of optics directly. Scopes are used on weapons to kill animals. Binos and such are used by hunters, but they don't directly attach to make the final kill, like the scope does. Weird reasoning, I think, but then again the anti-hunt/kill thoughts in some people brains is out of wrack anyway. Bill K

we can just happy others don't fall for this and will still offer hunters products we want, use and like.
From a country that still hunts whales for "research", cuts the fins off of sharks and throws them back and will stuff anything in their maws if they believe it will help their libido.