Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 PM

I live here in Cali, and hunt fairly often in the preservation zone. I like my .17's but for now have switched to .20 VarTarg for the bigger bunnies (jacks) and am using the Nosler lead free bullets which are yielding spectacular results on the jacks and Yotes, with superb accuracy. I just found the .17's to be a bit weak for my preference. When out of state, I still use my .17's and they are still a favorite, but just not enough oomph in lead free for anything above squirrels and cotties.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:20 PM
Supporting Member

Default Nosler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeport View Post
I live here in Cali, and hunt fairly often in the preservation zone. I like my .17's but for now have switched to .20 VarTarg for the bigger bunnies (jacks) and am using the Nosler lead free bullets which are yielding spectacular results on the jacks and Yotes, with superb accuracy. I just found the .17's to be a bit weak for my preference. When out of state, I still use my .17's and they are still a favorite, but just not enough oomph in lead free for anything above squirrels and cotties.

Bridgeport, are those the 32gr lead free ballistic tips that you are using? If so I was curious what twist barrel you were using those in. I bought a couple of boxes of them, but they seem very long for the caliber, was thinking they might need a faster twist.

Thanks,
Drew
Old 08-09-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh View Post
Bridgeport, are those the 32gr lead free ballistic tips that you are using? If so I was curious what twist barrel you were using those in. I bought a couple of boxes of them, but they seem very long for the caliber, was thinking they might need a faster twist.

Thanks,
Drew
Not Bridgeport, but am interesting in his twist also. My one shooting partner and I both use the lead free Nosler, tipped, and both have 1/11 twist bores and they work just fine, accuracy is real good and the damage to critters is fantastic. Bill K
Old 08-10-2018, 12:09 AM

What if you use regular bullets? Are there cops roaming the forest that accost you and cut open your ammo?
Old 08-10-2018, 12:14 AM

Default 15.5 NTX 17 caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
What if you use regular bullets? Are there cops roaming the forest that accost you and cut open your ammo?
Not as of yet, but the fish and game wardens, will more than likely start checking for lead free rifle/handgun ammo, when the full lead free law goes into effect in California July-2019. They check now for lead free shotshell ammo in all areas where it is required.

And if you have not heard yet, to show how crazy California politicians are, they have now passed law/s controlling plastic straws and the use of them in stores/shops. But dope is more legal to use and they even condone it and make money on marijane sales now. Bill K
Old 08-10-2018, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the tip Bill. Never heard of this company before. Product looks good. Ordered 200 of the 18 grainers.

Jordan
Old 08-10-2018, 04:05 PM

Default 15.5 NTX 17 Caliber

Ran five of the Lehigh through the 17 Fire Ball this morning, with the same load as I use with my 20 grain Midsouth Varmint nightmares. They average 4130. The Lehighs averaged 4117. So not bad at all. And the grouping at 100 yards was right at 1/2to 3/4 inch. With POI slightly lower and left of my POI with the Midsouth bullets. So they will work, will load some more and see how they do further out and on some critters. Bill K ( Photo posted in my Album. The aim point of this target is the small hole in the top )

Last edited by Bill K; 08-10-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:20 AM

I e-mailed them too. Hopefully market pressure is sufficient to induce them to sell the 15.5 grain bullet.