Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-27-2021, 12:58 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded......this has really got me thinking too much! Maybe I need two twenty caliber rifles? The 204 makes a lot of sense as RareBear points out, most powder capacity, off the shelf dies, no case forming, etc., so I think the 204 is in the bag for sure, but a 20/222 Ackley Improved is gettting my attention as well. As good an excuse as any for another gun in the safe, eh?

Back to the 204, the goal for the project is a 400 yd smackdown coyote rifle....with as flat trajectory as possible. With regard to bullet weight and BC, what is going to be the best combination? I have been into 17 Rems and 17 Ackely Hornets, but never delved into the 20's until now. I don't need to re-invent anything, and am sure I can rely on the vast knowledge base here on the forum as to what bullet to build the barrel around. Heaviest as reasonably possible for the 204 case, and what twist to correspond with it for the best accuracy and flattest trajectory. It may just be that the 40gr Vmax and the 39gr Sierra are optimal for the 204, and if so, that's fine. Just wondering if the 45 and 50 gr bullets are overly heavy for the powder capacity of the 204 case? Anyway, I would like to hear what you all have to say on that. I'll tackle the 20/222 AI thing a little later....
Thanks so much,
Steve
Old 01-27-2021, 01:18 PM

Default 204

I like the Berger 35 grain in my 204 for coyotes. But my shots tend to be under 250 yards.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:03 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20 cal ???

Do you have any Redding type s bushing dies on hand for 223 ? Ackley ?
Old 01-27-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock ranger View Post
Do you have any Redding type s bushing dies on hand for 223 ? Ackley ?
No I do not....do you have the dies or are you looking for them?
Old 01-27-2021, 04:25 PM

The .223 bushing dies are what you use for the Practical. I am guessing that he thought if you already had them, all you would need are a couple of bushings. There are no bad choices here. Throw a dart. The .204 is probably the cheapest, followed by the .20P. The .222, .223 and .204 cases will all feed well in a repeater, which I assume you want, for a coyote rifle. If you have a set budget you need to look at the price of dies. Your bound to loose cases and for "me" if I loose a case I would prefer the .223 case as I have thousands to loose, not something that took extra time and effort beyond normal prep. And yes, you will "need" to build at least 2 more guns, to find "just the right" rifle.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:40 PM

Default Your plan sounds very good...

Steve,
The idea of the 204 first sounds great.Dan C who designed the 20Duster is a brilliant mind when it come to small calibers,you my perhaps remember the Killer Bee series as well as the 17Predator that he came up with.All exemplary examples of neat small calibers.I am pretty sure Greg Tannel has the reamer for the Duster still,Greg is the guy when it comes to building accurate model 700s.
He builds a lot of tooling most accuracy gunsmith use these days.My thought would be to get an action to Greg and get in line,order a barrel or use the one you have and talk with him about getting the 20 Duster built,it may take a year but in the mean time you could get a factory 204 to get acquainted with and have fun,Greg won’t need to get paid till it’s done either.The Duster case has less body taper than the standard 222 but more than an Ackley,I think it was done that way to feed a bit better in a repeating rifle.I have two pd rifles and a coyote rig in the Duster and really like them.Not to add to your thought process on what to build,but Ray H may have some thought about a 20Javelina improved that may suit you as well
Matt

Last edited by 17VLD; 01-28-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:53 PM

Matt, talked to Greg a few weeks ago, he's 3 yrs out and not taking any orders at all. 11 yrs ago he built me three 17 Ackley Hornets on CZ actions....1/8" guns off the bench, so I know what Greg can do. Talked to Kevin Weaver last night, and he also comes highly recommended here on the forum, and we're discussing which two to build at this point. I think a 204 is first up, and then i need to find a donor action for the 222-223 case for the smaller 20 cal.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Steve
Old 01-28-2021, 12:58 PM
Supporting Member

Matt you're right about Dan, sure miss his inputs to this site. I stole Dan's idea and had my 20 Jav Imp ran in .160 deeper to make my 20 Duster. The 20 Duster is my "big" 20, it'll handle everything I need a 20 cal to do. I do have the BR and PPC Imp just in case though. For any of these 20 cal wildcats, check out John Whidden for custom dies. He makes a quality product and reasonable compared to some companys..
Old 01-28-2021, 01:07 PM

Default Crap

I knew Greg has a great following but had no idea he was 3 years out.
He must be aiming towards retirement if he is not taking anymore work in too.
Kevin is a very good gun smith too.He built my 17 Bobcat on a 700Rem and he does a lot of work for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation people.Kevin has lots of custom reamers too.Good luck Steve,you are well on your way and it sounds like you are gonna have some distant dead dogs in your future
Matt
Old 01-28-2021, 01:13 PM

Default Ray...

I miss Dan too.
A lot.
Although this type of thread is what Saubiers is all about and love to stoke the fire in the minds of like minded small caliber guys and gals.
You know what this thread needs is a picture or two of the 20 Javelina imp next to a 20Duster.
Matt