Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-19-2017, 02:48 PM
Supporting Member

Default Powder measures (again)

I am starting to load for pistols again after a long time away, but would like to have a measure that will handle my small capacity rifle cases as well. The bulk of my varmint cases are 20 grain and under charges. Does anyone have experience with the Redding 10X pistol measure or even better has anyone compared the Harrels schutzen measure to one side by side? I have a Harrels BR measure, and I tried the schutzen measure several years ago to see if the smaller per click change made any difference for the loads I was using at the time ( it didn't but now I need a smaller capacity).
Thanks,
Drew
Old 10-19-2017, 03:46 PM

I bet either one would serve you equally well. I really believe the difference in repeatability would be nil, possibly none. If you have the bucks and appreciate aesthetics, one of the two sure is easy to look at.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:45 PM

I have a 10X and use it for my Hornet and Fireball. It throws 1680 accurate enough that I don't bother weighing.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:27 AM
Supporting Member

Dillon 550 for just about anything, depending on powder bar, plus it's fast ( after it's adjusted ). Maintain a consistent rythym for accurate metering. Tom.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:02 AM

Drew, Take a look at the Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure. It uses drums and has both small and large drums to accommodate various powder levels. The drums can be changed out so that you can have a dedicated drum for a particular load. My good friend has Harrells, and BR-3 and 30, etc. Said if he had it all to do over he would get the Lee.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:55 AM

I have the Harrell's Pistol/Schutzen that I have owned for 10+ years. I have a Charge Master, but, find it slow for loading small charge loads.

I use the Harrell with a .17 cal drop tube (standard accessory available) and for N-120 and the newer CFR-BLK it is functionally a perfect match. I swear the CFE BLK meters at the 3 clicks for 1/10 measure that the Harrell advertises. I confirm by dropping 6 - 10 charges and weighing them with the Charge master scale. I then divide by 6. Move 3 clicks and repeat. The divided number shows a change of .1 grain.

This allows me to really play with the .17 hornets tuning. In the Harrell Pistol measure, with the CFE BLK and the N 120 it is amazing.

With charges for SR 4759, all bets are off. It just becomes another "kernel chopper". Then I use the charge master.

my 2 cents.
rch
Old 10-24-2017, 03:55 PM

Big,bad unruly stick powders, I use my old Belding and Mull.
Small grained extruded, H322 etc I use my BR3. It will work on most pistol type loads AS long as it is not a minute load for say bullseye.
Little loads, I have an old Pacific/Hornady measure with a small insert for pistol. It works pretty good for most small doses of fast burning powder. It will throw a fit and bind up with some flake powder. Take it apart and wipe down with alcohol and a light dusting of graphite and it is good to go.

Powder measures are one thing I have seen get over looked a lot when it comes to cleaning. Just takes a second and I use a cleaner such as alcohol that flashes off real quick and does not leave any residue.
Jeff