Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-19-2019, 12:24 PM

Default 220 swift 40 gr bullets

Anyone have experience shooting coyotes worth 40 grain bullets out of a 230 swift?
Any powder or load recommendations !
Old 02-19-2019, 01:55 PM

No experience, but I know that the Sierra 40gr HP Varminter is designed for 22-250 speeds, and it has a pretty tough jacket. It does ricochet pretty easily on hard ground, so be careful. I don't shoot 40gr's in my Swift. I stick with 55gr VMAX in mine. They are very explosive at Swift speeds, even on PDs, even at 500+ yds. If you are trying to save fur, but kill coyotes, you might try the 55gr Sierra HP Gamekings. They are hunting bullets, not varmint bullets.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:47 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
No experience, but I know that the Sierra 40gr HP Varminter is designed for 22-250 speeds, and it has a pretty tough jacket. It does ricochet pretty easily on hard ground, so be careful. I don't shoot 40gr's in my Swift. I stick with 55gr VMAX in mine. They are very explosive at Swift speeds, even on PDs, even at 500+ yds. If you are trying to save fur, but kill coyotes, you might try the 55gr Sierra HP Gamekings. They are hunting bullets, not varmint bullets.

IMO, good advice on the 55 Grain Sierra Gammekings.

Any of the other lead tipped ~55 grain spitzer-style bullets make for good coyote bullets at higher velocities. I have used the Sierra 52 Gr. BTHP on coyotes for years. They are listed by Sierra as a target bullet, but they hold together very well at 22-250 velocities so they would work for you in the Swift also.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-19-2019, 03:10 PM

As stated above, I have a load worked up using the Sierra 55 gr HPBT (#1390) and it is my absolute, without fail, "go to" bullet and load every day on every hunt! Does that reflect how much I like this bullet? LOL

I load it using IMR 4064 at 3865 fps (not that "hot" by Swift standards) and I even had Leupold make me a CDS dial specifically for this load. It is extremely accurate and very fur friendly.

Now, I have also shot a lot of other bullets over the years (been shooting the Swift and reloading for it since the late 1970's) and the other load I will shoot that is an absolute screamer and also accurate is the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade using AA2700. The load I am shooting with it chronographs at over 4300 fps.

I have shot 40 gr Nosler BT's but have experience splashes with them on coyotes so I quit using them out of both my 220 Swift and 222 Remington.

You can save yourself a lot of time at the reloading bench and go straight to the Sierra 55 gr HPBT.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:15 PM

I used to use 40 gr Nosler BT in mine before the barrel gave up the ghost. It'll blow big holes in coyotes. I don't recall the exact load of H414 anymore; but it was zinging them out there at 4200 fps! Interestingly, they shot 3/4" groups at 100 AND 300 yards. I always figured at that velocity, they had not "gone to sleep" yet at 100 yards.

I've shot the 52 gr Sierras BCB refers to, but those things really ricochet! I won't hunt with those at all. When I was doing a lot of coyote hunting, there were cattle and infrastructure in the area; risking a ricochet was something I could not afford to do!

That 40 gr. combo is a lot of fun in a 220 Swift! All you need to do is get fur in the scope and DRT! The 40 gr BT is what I use in the 223 as well. Great crow & coyote load!

Last edited by ben lurkin; 02-19-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Supporting Member

I've used the 52 grain BTHP for years in 22-250 rifles and I've never had a problem with them ricocheting any more than any other bullet I've used. I wouldn't use them and a few other good fur saving coyote bullets in smaller and slower cased 22 cartridges so they might be a problem there...?

In addition, I've never hunted coyotes where there are cattle and infrastructure in the way, and I've never shot at anything if I didn't know where the bullet might end up if I missed my target.............. (As in always have an unobstructed shot with a good backstop visible or don't take the shot...........)

In fairness, any bullet known to man will ricochet occasionally. That is just a known part of the game we play............ So play it safely and you'll be fine.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-19-2019, 06:51 PM

Years ago, a friend of mine needed loads for his .22-250 for coyotes to save hides.

I loaded him 50gr. Blitz bullets, loaded to 3,800fps with the express orders not to shoot one on the shoulder. They shot with sub 1/2" accuracy & not a single exit, but totally pulped them inside with instant kills. He said head-on shots were best as all the frags, etc were no where near the hide. Broadside shots left large red splotches on the hide both sides. Entrance holes were .22 size without any splashes.

Light loads, 50gr. Sierra Blitz or 50gr. SX Hornadys would be my choice and slow them down to 3,600fps to 3,800fps. With a smooth, clean bore, the might not explode prematurely. His Ruger handled the Blitz without trouble at 3,800fps.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:00 PM

Added info: the 50 Blitz shoots similarly in a 223 Rem without blowing up at 3675fps.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:10 PM

Default 220 swift 40gr bullets

Not out of a swift, the forty grain v-max's drop coyotes with entrance hole hard to find and no exit, inside sound like gel on coyotes. Have shot several with that bullet out of a 22-250. In fact if you go to my album/photo side above in community. you will see one I am holding up, that was shot with that setup, should work in your swift also. ( photo with me in the black/camo vest standing) Bill K
Old 02-19-2019, 08:37 PM
Supporting Member

Default Swift pills

I also use the 52 BTHP out of my big 22's, including std and AI Swift's. Most of my shots are 300 yds+ and the terminal performance of the heavier 52 trump's the speed of the 40. Flip side is I'm shooting pigs not Coyotes. Speeds I'm shooting are around 37-3800 fps.