Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-02-2021, 07:32 PM

Default Ruger #1 218 Bee

Anyone have any experience with this rifle/round? If so, what kind of accuracy did you get?
Thanks
Old 03-02-2021, 07:39 PM

My best accuracy in the #1B, 26" bl. was with 40gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips using Lil'Gun powder & Federal 205's.
Once I got the pressures up, and had done some 'accurizing' work on the rifle, bedding, relieving the forend action touching at the rear & 1/4 rib touching the front of the action, it gave me best of 1/4" (.250") at 100meters (109yds).
Average was consistently under 1/2" with all 40gr.Hornady Vmax. and Barnes HP Varminators, except for the lead tipped, Speers.
I shot a lot of gophers with that rifle.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:18 AM

I have a Ruger 1S in 218 Bee. I load Hornady brass with Lil Gun powder and 40Gr Nosler Varmageddons. I haven't had a chance to shoot it much, they closed my club then I moved back home. I have a range that I can use when the weather cooperates. From the little bit of shooting with this fine rifle, I will not change a thing with it or my load. I am waiting for sage rat season!
Bill
Old 03-03-2021, 03:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

i have a 1rs with a 22" barrel and it shoots just like Daryl's though the velocities are lower.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:56 AM

Default I bought a bunch of ammo at Gart Bros...

Before I even had a .218 Bee, 50 round boxes of the WW 46 grain hp were $10 and some change.I thought it was a good price so I bought all that they had.
Later on my enabler at the LGS told me of a beautiful 1S in .218 Bee that had come in from an estate sale, so I bought it.The WW load is not the fastest but it killed pd’s well.Gary W has gotten some amazing speeds with 40s and LilL Gun
from his 26” number one.I would not hesitate to buy it Dale.
Some people say a Ruger1 won’t shoot but I have always been lucky with mine.
Matt
Old 03-03-2021, 05:24 PM
Supporting Member

I have two #1s. Both shoot respectable groups but the 17 killer bee customized very nicely by the Original owner Micheal L.

My 218 Bee new from factory shot awesome windage-wise but serious vertical stringing. Like Matt said I got amazing velocities and the groups got smaller as the velocity got higher

A great combo, I’d buy it
Old 03-03-2021, 05:43 PM

I meant to put in my post, about AA1680. That powder also shot well, but maxed out long before Lil'Gun did, so the speeds were reduced, but - it still produced well over 3,000fps with 40gr. bullets - 3,250fps, just checked.
I had switched to Lil'Gun after only a little bedding work and never went back to 1680.
Further, I adjusted my FL sizer(Hornady) so it only sized 3/16" of the case neck. this left a double shoulder on the case, the regular one and one on the neck itself. I am sure this helped with accuracy. As well, it
greatly reduced the amount the cases were worked every time they were loaded. I loaded them 14 times (500cases) before annealing them the first time. They never did need length trimming - go figure. MY Ruger
apparently has a long neck in the chamber. One of my best friends has it right now. He loves it.

Last edited by Daryl; 03-03-2021 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:05 AM
Supporting Member

I have been working on my own small cartridge based on 223 brass with about the same internal capacity as the Bee or maybe more like a Mashburn Bee, and have tried several powders besides LG and 1680. FWIW, I found that Shooters World SBR SOCOM is about the best for full case/good performance and Blackout is just a little faster than 1680 so should give a bit more performance. So, if you have some of these or can get some they are worth a try. Also, just as a comparison, I am FF'ing my brass with 14.5 grs of Alliant 300MP for 3250fps with 40 gr bullet.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:10 PM
Supporting Member

I had a Ruger #3 that had been re-barrelled to 218 Bee and restocked with no barrel band. Beautiful gun. It had a Canjar Trigger and the hanger had been drilled and tapped for a pressure screw. With Lil'Gun and 40 grain Vmax it would do well under a half inch consistently.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:27 PM
Supporting Member

I've had a Ruger #1B in 218 Bee for years.. All I ever did to it was put a scope on it, work up a good load for it, and start shooting it. It never needed any "accuracy enancements" that you read so much about on the internet concerning Ruger #1 rifles.

I considered having it redone as a 218 Mashburn Bee maybe 10-12 years ago, but a trip up north to NE Wyoming to visit my wife's kin folks, which always includes a trip over to First Stop Guns in Rapid City SD, solved my problem. They gave me a pass to their basement, and I picked out the best of the litter of three, IIRC, Cooper MT Varmints that they had in boxes down there.

I now shoot both, and I like both for different reasons. Neither will leave the stable while I'm still in control of the corral gate......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine