Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-15-2019, 09:18 AM
Supporting Member

Default Boyd's Prarie Hunter & CZ 527 American

Anyone gone this way as a stock replacement on their CZ, would like to know if you were happy.

Yes I broke my original stock

Thanks
Johno
Old 02-15-2019, 01:54 PM

I've had good luck with boyds. Their inlets are not always perfect, but it's wood, and easy to modify. All of my boyds stocks got the aluminum/epoxy treatment and work well. I've heard their ripple laminate (not sure what they call it) has a lot of stress in it and also tends to break out in little chunks in the inlet area. If you're not afraid to work with wood some, then their regular laminates or walnut should do what you want.

What happened to the original stock? Could it just be glued back together or repaired?
Old 02-15-2019, 02:19 PM

I'm not a huge fan of wood but I put a Boyd's on the CZ 527 204 I recently sold and it turned out really well. I don't exactly remember which model I went with but I know it was in their Coyote Laminate and it was a nice looking setup.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:20 PM

Boyds has the worst customer service you can find. However, I have 3 of their stocks on rifles now and like all three.

If you have any questions regarding Boyds stocks don't expect them to answer the phone, return your calls or emails. Customer service there just stinks.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 PM
Supporting Member

Being down here in Australia quality is the thing its not easy to just sort a problem out.

The original stock is certainly deceased. at the moment I have the the barreled action in a CZ carbine stock works ok but does lokk a little with that stock being 2" shorter

Johno
Old 02-16-2019, 03:00 PM
Supporting Member

I’ve found the people at Boyds to be pretty good to work with.

When I enquired about buying some left hand stocks for CZ’s a couple of years back, they stated they did not have any lefty’s patterned yet. They asked if I was interested in sending my rifles in so they could make their patterns, and I did.

My rifles were returned, each with a no-cost stock of my choice!

I’ve bought a number of stocks from them since, and in each case I’ve had very good success with a quality product.

I used the Pro-Varmint on my CZ527, but have no experience with the prarie hunter.

MQ1
Old 02-16-2019, 03:18 PM

Default Boyd's Praire Hunter & CZ 527 American

I must add into this that I have 3 Boyd's laminated stocks, they all went in with very, very little work in the bedding area, or none at all.
And in talking with them on a couple of occasions, found them to be very helpful and pleasant to deal with. Bill K
Old 02-16-2019, 03:41 PM

The three stocks I have are very well made and it took minor fitting for the barreled action to drop in.

In July 2018 I started trying to contact Boyds since I had some questions on 2 different stocks they have. I called many times and left many messages and emails. They never responded. I stopped trying to get in touch with them in November 2018.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:53 PM

Default Boyd;s Prairie Hunter

I guess that does occur and it is too bad it does rear it's head at times. Sure can turn a guy off, for sure. Bill K