Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-04-2019, 07:50 PM
Supporting Member

Default 6X45 (6-223Rem)

Thinking about building one of these and was going to do it on a Sako A1 sporter. Looking at a dummy round, the bullet has to be seated mighty deep to work in the magazine. Has anyone here done one of these, and what action do you think would be best? Also, if you have done one on a Sako or other similarly short action, how did it work out and do you have any advice before I make a final commitment on this rifle? I thought it would be a nice little rifle for a young hunter on whitetail deer loading 90-95 gr bullets.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:25 PM

Default 6/45

I had one built on a Rem 700 SA many years ago. I was shooting lighter bullets in it, 70 grain. Gun functioned well and was very accurate. Just lost interest in it.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Thinking about building one of these and was going to do it on a Sako A1 sporter. Looking at a dummy round, the bullet has to be seated mighty deep to work in the magazine. Has anyone here done one of these, and what action do you think would be best? Also, if you have done one on a Sako or other similarly short action, how did it work out and do you have any advice before I make a final commitment on this rifle? I thought it would be a nice little rifle for a young hunter on whitetail deer loading 90-95 gr bullets.
Sherm --- you want to answer this one or shall I? It will give you a chance to tell a story about a PITA customer. I just built one on Sako L46 action. I decided to blow it out and make it a 6x45AI. Next time would just do a 6TCU and achieve about same thing.

For hunting the 6mm bullets will be in 80-85 gr bullets (typical selection used for 243 Winchester). Let me be honest with you..unless you are looking for a vintage caliber there are more popular rounds available that you can also buy ammo off the shelf in a pinch. If you are shooting inside of 250 yards then the easiest answer is 300 Blackout shooting 110gr-130gr bullets for hunting, Recoil is minimal and perfect for a mini-mauser action. 18' barrel achieves full burn and 2,400fps. This is about same as a 7.62x39 velocity, but with better selection of bullets with it being .308" diameter as opposed to the AK round being .311".

If you would like a vintage then the 6x45 is very nice round and everybody loves them. The only risk is 6x45 and 223 are so similar in size/appearance that you just have to male effort to keep separate.

Don't know why insists on rotating the photo upside down... some days you can't win. From Left to right: 223 (55gr Vmax), 6x45 (58gr Vmax), 6x45AI (80gr Berger), 300BO (110gr Barnes TAC-TX)

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 10-04-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:49 PM
Supporting Member

Several years ago I had a 6x250 rifle built on a Rem 700 action and a Douglas barrel. Some people might thing that I now have a 6MM CM, but I have had the rifle longer than the CM has been around.

Anyway........it shoots the 75-80 grain 6MM bullets extremely well.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-05-2019, 02:54 AM

I'm building something similar but on the AR platform and it has similar mag length restrictions. (2.26 nominally and 2.315 with specialty mags) I made an improved wildcat that has the same body diameter as the .223 AI but with a 30' shoulder and slightly shorter neck than the 6x45 and .150" shorter over all case length.

However like you mentioned 6x45 in these mag length restrictions limit bullet selection to the sub 85gr bullets. I wanted a fun long range plinker that I could shoot with less recoil/money than my .260/.308 yet offer similar external ballistics. With these new ultra high bc bullets what it lacks in velocity it will pick up by bucking the wind.

here is a hydro formed case next to a .223. This little guy is holding a 105gr pill inside.

I've compared 6x45 to my cat in QL and there is a few gr. more "useable" case capacity than the 6x45. not to mention the ogive would be inside the case neck on the 6x45 vs mine.

This is more an exercise of trying something different. I actually spec'd the reamer for a full 1.75" length case and with the bullet seated so the boat tail is at the shoulder transition (2.6+ COAL) However I don't have the money for a donor rifle yet and Piecing together an AR is a cake walk for me. Already have the blanks so only cost me a Extension and spun one up, then already had extra parts to build another upper.

Here is the bullet seating length that I spec'd the reamer out at. There long!

End goal is a Howa MINI with DBM for mags that will fit these long boogers. QL predicts 2600 ft/sec from the full length cartridge with 105's and 24" tube and 2400 from a 14" -.150" 2.3" COAL AR.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 10-05-2019 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:49 AM

All I can add is get a 1-8 or faster twist barrel.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

have owned several 6x45 and one 6x47 over the years. one in a l461, another in ar-15 and one in a mini Mauser. shot more than one whitetail deer with them
using an 80 gr single shot pistol bullet. none ran more than 10 yards after shot.

the 80 gr blitz king act just like the 80 gr ssp bullet as they are designed to open at lower velocities and acts like the tougher big game bullets would from a 243 or 6mm. as to twist pick your own, I personally like a 1-10 or 1-9. a 100 gr bullet is wasted in a 6x45, not enough powder capacity, seated deep and the bullet may be a little to tough for the 6x45 velocities.
if you use the mini or a1 sako make sure you get a chamber reamer with a short throat to match the oal of the 6x45.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies, will be glad to have any others. I have purchased a Brux 1-8 barrel and a zero freebore reamer. Was planning to use 90 BT in it probably with AA2200. Won't that bullet work well at ~2700 fps MV?

Oso Polaris, I agree that the 300BLK would be a good choice also, but I already have one of those, killed my last deer with it. Looking to do something a little different ya know.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:43 AM

Talking

Edward, no harm no foul. Theres also a story of somebody sending a empty gun case.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:26 PM
Supporting Member

-bcb

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 10-05-2019 at 10:19 PM.