Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-08-2019, 10:39 PM

Guys,
Sorry I read Harold's reply wrong. Soft brass? Tight chamber? What to do?
Scott
Old 10-08-2019, 10:57 PM

Bill alot of guys who shoot Lapua brass in there VT have there reamers made a little bigger at the .200 line because the Lapua is a little larger there and can be problematic after a few firings especially the bolt " click"
Old 10-08-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Sherm View Post
Bill alot of guys who shoot Lapua brass in there VT have there reamers made a little bigger at the .200 line because the Lapua is a little larger there and can be problematic after a few firings especially the bolt " click"
I see. But then again could that be caused by to high a pressure being used with the Lapua brass ? Sounds like maybe that brass is softer than I thought Lapua was, and therefore being pushed oversize after numerous firing. Yes or No ?
Old 10-08-2019, 11:58 PM
Supporting Member

I, and many Cooper 20VT rifle owners have chambers tight enough that virgin 221 fireball Lapua brass necked to 20VT will not chamber. The diameter at the .200" being too large. FL resizing does not fix the Lapua brass issue, for my rifle.

The neck diameter is ok, but I turned the neck ( luckily only made 1 pc of brass) before realizing they won't chamber. I checked a handfull of Lapua brass and they all are too big.

I believe, as stated above, a custom reamer is needed in 20vt for those wanting to use Lapua brass. Coopers reamer is min spec'd, it seems. My Sako-20vt chambers the one piece I formed of Lapua brass....
Old 10-09-2019, 12:01 AM

I dont think it's an over pressure issue more of a sizing issue the brass working with said chamber. Any brass will become problematic if its ran hot and grow around the web.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:23 AM

Could you just run the brass through a small base sizing die? I had to do this to some Lapua 6 creedmoor base that I shot in a factory savage and then used it in a custom 6 creedmoor with tighter tolerances. This worked great for me. No more bolt click after one pass through the small base die.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:34 AM

I guess I will just have to obtain a 100 of Lapua's 221 fb brass, work it down to my 20 SCC and see what occurs. I am not from MO but I guess I have the "Show me" attitude. Bill K

Note... I checked a couple sites for brass purchase. $80.00 per 100-- whew. so just to test some, I will not pay that much, when I have hundreds of good 221fb brass, Nosler, lc to use. Now if someone would sell me about 3 pieces, I would buy it to check out...

Last edited by Bill K; 10-09-2019 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:56 AM
Supporting Member

Has anyone checked the internal volume of the Lapua 221 brass versus Remington 221 brass, for example?

I know that in larger calibers, the Lapua brass has less internal volume than other comparable brass such as WW or Remington.

Just thinking and guessing..........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-09-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Lapua 221 FB brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I guess I will just have to obtain a 100 of Lapua's 221 fb brass, work it down to my 20 SCC and see what occurs. I am not from MO but I guess I have the "Show me" attitude. Bill K

Note... I checked a couple sites for brass purchase. $80.00 per 100-- whew. so just to test some, I will not pay that much, when I have hundreds of good 221fb brass, Nosler, lc to use. Now if someone would sell me about 3 pieces, I would buy it to check out...
Bill,
Send me your mailing address and I will mail you three pieces.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 10-09-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklong View Post
Could you just run the brass through a small base sizing die? I had to do this to some Lapua 6 creedmoor base that I shot in a factory savage and then used it in a custom 6 creedmoor with tighter tolerances. This worked great for me. No more bolt click after one pass through the small base die.
I'm sure you could, dont see any problem.