Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-22-2018, 10:16 PM

Johno - I loaded .22 Hornet for a friend with a Contender who was getting poor results with the data readily available.

I ended up using the same loads (worked up first) in it as I was using in my CZ, however his velocities were just about 100fps lower than mine.

It shot at and under 1/2" with the 40gr. Vmax and 40gr. Ballistic tips. Best were with the 40gr. HP's by Sierra and Barnes Varminators along with VLC's.

Those 40gr. VLC's are bug-hole makers in my .22 Sako L1 as well. Down to my last 300 or so.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:37 PM

Something a little different, I have a Savage 24 that's a 22 Hornet over 12ga. I had my smith work the trigger over, but without changing the hammer spring there was only so much he could do. The trigger is terribly heavy (6+ lbs? if I recall correctly) but with handloads of Sierra 40gr HP over littlegun I can keep them under an inch all day long from the bench. Being able to load the bullets long enough to touch the lands is an advantage of the break opens IMO. This was my primary predator gun when I ran lights at night. I killed a lot of reds and even some coyotes with that combo for a lot of years. Every once in a while I'll still leave the thermal equipment home and go after fox with this combo just for pure fun.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:18 AM
Supporting Member

Many thanks for all the tips, talking to a friend over here he has a Bergara take down single shot in 222 rem, he showed me some targets and I was really surprised just how accurate this fairly cheap rifle is.

Wish the did the hornet but a 222 would be fine. I do little shooting now just some pest destruction around the farm so thinking of selling all my other rifles I might now look into this Spanish rifle in 222 with a 308 barrel for anything bigger this set up would certainly see me out

Johno

Last edited by johno; 07-23-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
Many thanks for all the tips, talking to a friend over here he has a Bergara take down single shot in 222 rem, he showed me some targets and I was really surprised just how accurate this fairly cheap rifle is.

Wish the did the hornet but a 222 would be fine. I do little shooting now just some pest destruction around the farm so thinking of selling all my other rifles I might now look into this Spanish rifle in 222 with a 308 barrel for anything bigger this set up would certainly see me out

Johno
Hi Johno,
I’m waiting on a Bergara B13 with thumbhole stock.
It will do for the bit of foxing I still do, and, deer hunting with heavier bullets, if I ever get to go again!
I decided on one of these to see if it will be okay for stubbing...that would get round any calibers not available from factory.
Hope you’re doin’ okay,Ken.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Supporting Member

Ken look forward to hearing about how it works for you, can you get extra barrels for it in the UK?

Johno
Old 07-23-2018, 03:29 PM

I kind of wish the new Henry single shot was offered in .22H.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:58 PM
Supporting Member

I bought the grandson an NEF in 22 K Hornet from a member here and after we found the right combination it shoots under 1 MOA all day long - ok he is turning 13 now but it still outlasts him. Since then I have had a few other Break overs done in centerfire calibers. Second best is the newest, a 357 Max done switch barrel on a 30-30 frame. I have all the parts to try it myself with a 44 mag, just dragging my feet and my shop doesn't have AC so I see it being a fall/winter job, but then hunting gets in the way LOL.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:57 PM

Custom H&R rifles or T/C Contender and Encores will easily do 1/2" groups at 100 yds. on a bad day! A good day is often under 1/4"...
Old 07-24-2018, 11:45 PM
Supporting Member

Just did a google search on the Henry, what a nice looking rifle the testing at 100 yds with three different bullet weights was very good I thought for a break action rifle, really impressed.

Would also love to see a hornet or maybe 218 bee

Johno
Old 07-25-2018, 12:10 AM

Default TC

Been shooting Contenders since the 70's. Shot about every caliber that TC ever chambered them in. I have ONLY seven left now and all but one are wildcats. Calibers include (17AH, 17/222 Rem,20 Tactical, 223 Rem, 223 AI, 219 Wasp and 6.5 Bullberry IMP) All are custom barrels, two Bullberry and seven OTT. The one that isn't a wildcat is a step up barrel. ALL shoot better than I can. The Grandkids and I have a rack in the back yard, only 75 yards which is the limit of my current range. The rack hold 4 dum-dum suckers on each side and 1 in the middle. We shoot side by side and the first to the middle sucker wins. One twist though you can't hit the sucker you have too cut the stick on the center one to win. Grankids LOVE Them and so does PaPa
A ball to watch the hit in the scope and the lack of recoil does teach the Grandkids good shooting habits
Safe shooting
Doug