Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-09-2019, 02:57 PM
Supporting Member

For me, the best custom barrel is the one I can get the quickest when I want/need one. With today's barrel making technology, it's hard to get a bad one.

We all have our personal favorites for a multitude of reasons, but in reality, any of the more commonly used barrel makers will make us smile 99% of the time.

And +1 on the stainless comment.................

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-09-2019, 03:56 PM

Recently chambered a Muller 1-11 in .20 Practical, can't shoot less than the .3s with VV133 and any bullet I've used.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20 caliber barrels

Very pleased with my Pac Nor 11 twist. A 20 Practical.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
Recently chambered a Muller 1-11 in .20 Practical, can't shoot less than the .3s with VV133 and any bullet I've used.
I have a new build chambered in 20 VarTarg using a Mullerworks barrel coming soon. Seems like I have been waiting an eternity for it. I just might be heartbroken if it is not a shooter and the only reason is my barrel choice.
I hope in your case the limiting factor turns out to be something other than the barrel.

hemi
Old 02-06-2019, 02:58 AM

I really do not know the real answer to the original query, we have a lot of fine barrel makers here in the states, just pick one.

All can make hummers and garden stakes............pick someone that is widely known to stand behind their product. I personally choose makers that support the benchrest circles, just my own choice. Listening to those guys talk late at night at a shoot..................good enough is not in their vocabulary.

I tend to buy locally in my home state. Just the way it is with me. Not to say that I have not ordered in many fine barrels from other makers. All are first rate pieces; a barrel goes a long ways in the final result.......a great privilege and freedom we have.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:35 PM

I have a McGowen 1-11 and an Shilen 1-10 and both shoot bugholes. The only thing I can add is get a 1-11 or 1-10 twist, so you know all of the 39-40 grain bullets will be happy.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:15 PM

Default Best 20 Cak barrel?

Take you pick from any number of barrel makers out there, everyone has their own ideas on which is best.
Any good maker's barrel will work fine for you, all you need to do is find the load, bullet, etc. that works best for you and the one you install. But do go with a 1/11 or 1/10 twist and a 3 groove if they have it. Bill K
Old 02-06-2019, 04:33 PM

Default 20 cal barrels

I have a Kreiger chambered in 20 vt, and a Lila in 204 Ruger. Both are excellent accuracy wise.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:35 PM

Default My go to barrel maker is

Bob Jury out of Red Deer Alberta. Custom built to your specification. I have two 20 cal barrels from him that both shoot lights out great. Both were ordered with an 8 twist to shoot the 55 grain Bergers (sadly discontinued now) but don't lose anything for accuracy with the 40 grain. If I were ..... no that's not right, not if - when I build another 20 cal it'll be a Jury barrel with a slower twist, maybe 10. That should be fine for a 40 grain bullet.
I have six Jury barrels of various calibers and all are good shooters. The last I heard he has about a four week period for shipping.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:27 PM

I have 2 Pacnor barrels that I have on my 20Tac AR's. Both of them are 1:11 twist. One is 20" and the other is 24". They were chambered by Whiteoak Arms and shoot amazing!
I have another 20Tac barrel that is currently on its way back from the gunsmith. This one is a 22" 1:11 twist CarbonSix barrel. I can report back this summer after I am able to put some rounds through it.
I also have a Shilen 20Tac barrel that is 22" 1:11 twist that shoots amazing on a Savage.