Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-12-2019, 02:16 AM
Supporting Member

Default 5mm rem rimfire magnum question

Well we are not going to see the new ammo down here so just thought i'd run an idea, now if its a stupid idea so be it

22 mag ammo can be bought at a good price, is it an option to pull the bullets and get a die made to match the 5mm rem neck and shoulder, run the cases and re use the powder?

I know there are both the Craig and Shroeder options but these are still difficult to obtain down here though I think from ready the later would be the best way to go. So if anyone is getting out of the centre fire model please let me know

Appreciate any ideas

Johno
Old 01-12-2019, 02:36 AM
Supporting Member

In my opinion, it wouldn't be worth it and would probably not work. The 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum is a slightly fatter round, with a larger rim (closer to the 17WSM).

If you will be using custom dies, go with the Craig, or Schroeder conversions. Is there a reason they cannot be sent to you from the USA, along with some brass?

Last edited by Eric Mayer; 01-12-2019 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:30 AM
Supporting Member

I think there is no problem with that Eric, James Calhoon sends dies & cases all the time.

If you have a lead on on the Schroeder set shoot me a pm please.

I about 30 rounds of old rem ammo I set up an old 6X Weaver on the rifle and took it out this morning, two shots at 50 yds to get on target then three shots into a single clover leaf hole. This darn thing has really got me in, I bought off a fella here who bought it new in 1973 and has fired less than 150 rounds

Johno
Old 01-12-2019, 02:28 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

John, sell the 5mm and with the money you get invest in 22 mag ammo. The reload 5mm is a big pain in the A$$!!! And you get no real performance over the hot 22 Magnums! Like they say been there done that!👍
Old 01-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Supporting Member

Already have the 22 mag & the 221 f.b. mate

It was an impulse buy but I think its a great round, I need stop with the impulse buying I reckon

Johno
Old 01-12-2019, 10:13 PM
Supporting Member

Yeah, those impulse buys'll getcha. Haven't even shot the Anschutz 54 and today I bought a very nice shiny bore 1886 Trapdoor. Got a few to sell.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 PM
Supporting Member

Unfortunately this is not a place to call out for help in avoiding these impulse buys, think these boys are more the problem than the solution

Johno
Old 01-13-2019, 12:24 AM
Supporting Member

If I get a chance, I will call Schroeder this week (if not, it will be after the 28th). While I'm at SHOT, I'll check with Aguila if anyone over there is looking to import the new 5mm ammo that was just released.

I've got Craig dies and a Contender Carbine barrel (just threaded it), so if I ever want to go that route, it would not be too difficult.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:39 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks Eric really appreciate you contacting Shroeder as i'm totally deaf and he does'nt show an email address.

Ive had a reply from Aguila and they don't have an aussie distributor but would really like to find one, ive emailed several companies and they are just not interested I don't understand why as there is a lot of chat on our forums about the great range of ammo offered

Johno
Old 01-17-2019, 08:21 PM
Supporting Member

As an update for anyone who was following this. I spoke with Mr. Schroeder and he is still selling everything you need to convert your 591/592, or get set-up for a Contender. This includes dies, brass, his own bullets and misc other tools. It's always an interesting chat when I call him. He's got a lot going on still, so he's keeping busy!

Steve Schroeder
619-423-3523 (PST)