Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-17-2019, 08:58 PM
Supporting Member

I've spent the last few days in Wyoming "splashing" coyotes and today I ventured north to Missoula, MT to visit my sister for a few days. I took a rest break today a bit south of Missoula on the way there, and I stumbled onto five boxes of the Hornady 25 grain HP bullets to haul home............

And the icing on the cake, I met a guy who invited me to go coyote hunting with him Saturday morning on his ranch. He is interested in 17 caliber rifles but has never owned one or shot one............. Maybe a new convert in the making.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-18-2019, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
How do the tanners shoot?

Aaron
Not had a chance to load any. I had quite a supply of the 25's and wanted to shoot them up before going to the Tanners. Nice looking bullet.

I have located a good supply of the 25 grain HPs so I am going to buy 15 to 20 boxes as a back up. Don't shoot as many of the 17s as I use to with the 204 and 20VT in the options.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:55 AM
Supporting Member

As we all know, if they say they are gone they are gone . It happens from time to time and it makes a strong case for stocking up on the products you like a lot.
Ya might check out the top left .172 cal 20 grain Varmint Nightmare X-Treme bullets. I bought some to fire-form a bunch of cases on gophers with in a .17 Hornet and they seemed to be a real decent bullet if your rifle agrees, mine did. Looks a lot like those .17 Caliber .172 Diameter 20 Grain Flat Base HP Varmageddon's. but who knows? Someone makes em for Midsouth.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...-point-172-dia

I've had a couple rifles shoot real well with em and the price gotta make ya happy, $8.99 a 100 plus freight.
If ya "need" a 25 grainer that 17 Caliber .172 Diameter 20 Grain Flat Base HP Varmageddon 250 Count
115-29066 | Nosler at $31.58 might be an option.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:18 PM

[. Looks a lot like those .17 Caliber .172 Diameter 20 Grain Flat Base HP Varmageddon's. but who knows? Someone makes em for Midsouth.

Doug: Those Varmint Nightmares that Midsouth shooters and Midwayusa sell under VM or Dogtown bullets are in fact made for them by Nosler. They are the cup and core bullet Nosler calls shots. I shoot thousands of them in my 17 & 20, with a few of the 224 one's and they shoot very and accurately in my rifles. And they do do a number on our little rats, chucks, rabbit and even coyotes. Bill K
Old 01-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Supporting Member

Just about any hollow point 17 caliber bullet will work for coyotes. For years, dating back to the 1970's, the 25 grain Hornady HP has been my favorite for anything bigger than a pd, so I have a good supply on hand to get me thru life.......now boosted with 500 extra.

If you look around in your haunts, I bet you'll find some for the next month or so until the availability issue becomes wide spread knowledge. As someone said, the 17 market is small..........

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:02 PM

Is this the bullet? Don't shoot the messenger. I don't set nor have any control over the price of anything at this or any other vendor.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...6WTz_l%3DChart
Old 01-18-2019, 03:33 PM

Default Horady discontinues # 1710

That is it. However the price for them is better with either Midwayusa or Midsouth Shooters. I usually get the better price, per 500 (which I buy in bulk) with Midsouth Shooter. Check them out. Bill K
Old 01-18-2019, 04:58 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
Is this the bullet? Don't shoot the messenger. I don't set nor have any control over the price of anything at this or any other vendor.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...6WTz_l%3DChart
Yes. that is the bullet that Hornady has discontinued.

-BCB

Old 01-18-2019, 06:09 PM

I thought about buying a supply of them then realized when they are gone I will be in the same position. Gonna try the Bergers. Reminds of a time when Berkley stopped making Blk/blu 4inch power worms, I bought a ton of them and ended up giving most of them away to other guys who were obsessed about them...

I can't imagine there not being a 25gr HP .172 by some company down the road...

I'm glad I mentioned it as some of you fellas can stock up before they are all bought up...
Old 01-18-2019, 07:53 PM

I have a couple hundred or so. The Vmax on the other hand I have a bunch, so I guess I won't ever know what I missed out on.

A good excuse to spend some money on some custom bullets and see what they are like compared to mass produced.
Jeff