Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Noob with swage question

Hi.

I want to make .224 plinking and varmint bullets from 22lr casings. I'll buy some jackets for my hunting loads, but for the vamrint/plinking loads I want to keep it cheap.

Anyone use the reloading press dies for 22lr casing to make .224 bullets? What press are you using them in? Would it be ideal to get a reloading press for each step so I wouldn't have to change dies? I'd like to make 5-6K my first year.

Or should I just buy the Walnut hill press and dies? Will it be faster than using a reloading press? In the future, If I'd like to make more bullets a year would the Walnut hill be better for that kind of volume?

I appreciate your help and insight.

Thanks!

Last edited by cervelo; 11-29-2007 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:43 AM
Supporting Member

I've never made bullets from .22 RF cases. But for my 6mm bullets I make i use a dedicated RCBS press for each of the three steps. keeps the die adjustments the same that way. If you plan to make that many bullets you may want to invest in a good set of Neimi or Blackburn dies along with quality presses. But your investment will be north of $3K. You could do it with Corbin dies and a single press a fair amount less expensive

Michael
Old 11-29-2007, 06:28 PM

Default "Big Green!"

Mr. Huntington, Fred, got his start making dies on machine tools in the back of his parents laundry (-??-). These dies permitted the user to swage bullets out of fired rimfire jackets... Post WW II. Then his customers demanded a press of adequate strength... His company? "Rock Chucker Bullet Swage." It has grown and been "sold out" and we know it today by initials... RCBS ...

Has anyone? MANY!.

Two other gents got started together in Lincoln, NE... They made bullets out of fired rimfire cases, post WW II. Then they went their separate ways. You may have heard the names... Joyce Honady moved down the road to Grand Island, NE where the company still resides (died, plane crash, circa 1991). His wife is mayor of "G.I.". The other man moved to the Pacific Northwest. Vern Speer was his name...

Then there was a Mr. Sisk, (Ray???) of Texas. Made and sold by mail bullets made from rimfire jackets... Retired with the GCA of 1968...

Can you? I don't know, but it has been done. Many, many times.

Today's expert/leader is Mr. Dave Corbin with several books on his web site for review and free download (sans pictures). [ corbins.com ] His brother, Richard, is in the business too. I think you mention him. rceco.com

The one other thing I would add from reading the remarks of these people. You will need to keep velocity below about 3200. .222 Remington? Great. .22/250? Not so great... enjoy, luck...