Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-26-2018, 03:40 PM
Supporting Member

Shows what I know, DUH . Great score Ric, nice piece for sure. I'm like that guy said he can turn a Purdey into a JC Higgins in about 3 trades .
Old 12-26-2018, 03:53 PM

Not a hard choice for me.............the 54 action is the one to have in my opinion.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
I'm like that guy said he can turn a Purdey into a JC Higgins in about 3 trades .
No, I can't do that, Doug (), but years ago I turned my first .22 rifle, a Mossberg Model 182K into a Beretta BL-3 12ga. O/U in three trades. One stop along the way was a nice Browning Auto-5 that I wish I had kept, but like a short-sighted dolt, let it go for the Beretta.

I outfitted that Beretta in a nice Italian leather fitted case with brass hardware and a presentation plaque and presented it to my favorite nephew for his 21st birthday a few years ago. (He's my rat shootin' buddy also) It is now one of his most cherished possessions he tells me.

But a JC Higgins into a Purdey.........
Old 12-26-2018, 04:19 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for all the great reply's guys! I'm going to get one of the HB classics heading this way today. Range report to follow, stay tuned!

Aaron
Old 12-26-2018, 06:04 PM

1730 Annie in 22 Hornet
1710 HB in 22LR
2013 in 22 LR
Also had a 64MPR stainless

All shot well

Last edited by Herb in Pa; 12-26-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:36 AM
Supporting Member

Aaron I'll lay long odds ya love it !!! My personal favorite model even though others mileage may vary. Do keep us posted as to how it treats ya. If it's anything less than stellar I'll be amazed .
Old 12-27-2018, 11:18 AM

Default You guys are killin me......

Like Aaron I knew how well Annie’s shot,but I have been untempted so far.....
Since I don’t yet own a 17 Hornady Hornet yet Doug’s post and link has got me thinking
Sure wish I got one of those neat pistols when they were around
Matt
Old 12-27-2018, 01:34 PM
Supporting Member

Default Anschutz magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstowater View Post
I've shot a 1422 sporter (54 action) for a number of years. Really nice gun as are all Anschutz guns. Acquired a 1517 more recently and has become my rimfire cartridge on some of the prairie dog trips. Very accurate rifle and saw a bunch of use last summer as we got into a whole lot of uneducated prairie dogs. Only drawback that I don't like is the 4 round magazines, but that is because I am too used to 5 round mags. Mine is the sporter version and my FIL picked one up in a varmint profile. I do like the wide fore end for using on sandbags. For those prices, I would pick one of the Anschutz 17s instead of the CZ 17s. After shooting the Anschutz, I sold the 452 that I had in the 17HMR.
Anschutz North America have single shot adapters available for $22 . I bought one and never use a magazine since.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:38 PM
Supporting Member

I own a number of Anschutz rifles and am a big Anschutz fan. Being left handed the selection is a little more limited but for target and varmint guns a RH can work too, if the model I want is not made in LH. As far as the 22 RF, 22 Hornet you would be hard pressed to find a better gun, either as a sporter or a Target model.

When it comes to the 17 HMR, I am not as impressed with the Anschutz. I do a lot of gopher shooting so I go through a pile of 17 HMR ammo. I have had Savage, Marlin, CZ x 3, and 2 Anschutz. The Savage I sold after 30,000 rounds and it still shot under an inch at 100, the marlin after 20,000, my buddy is still shooting it ten years later, and the first CZ after 30,000; they both still shot under an inch. The second CZ has about 15,000 rounds through it and the last CZ is still new. The Anschutz has about 5,000 rounds through it, I sold the first one after about 8,000 rounds as the gun was starting to show signs of groups opening up.

The CZs are every bit as accurate as the Anschutz, half the price (not that that is a real big consideration when you are going through this amount of ammo) and the CZ Barrels last way better. The Savage, Marlin and CZs all shoot about the same accuracy wise. The Anschutz were both in about the same league. With the 17 HMR the limiting factor in accuracy is the ammunition, not the gun. No matter how well built the gun and barrel, they will not be more accurate than the ammo is capable of. There is no equivalent to Eley Tenex in 17 HMR.

I will sell the LH Anschutz and keep using the LH CZ 452 because I can get 30,000 rounds out of one, and still sell it knowing that it is shooting under 1 MOA.

Just my advice based on a bit of time spent with them.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-27-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:14 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I own a number of Anschutz rifles and am a big Anschutz fan. Being left handed the selection is a little more limited but for target and varmint guns a RH can work too, if the model I want is not made in LH. As far as the 22 RF, 22 Hornet you would be hard pressed to find a better gun, either as a sporter or a Target model.

When it comes to the 17 HMR, I am not as impressed with the Anschutz. I do a lot of gopher shooting so I go through a pile of 17 HMR ammo. I have had Savage, Marlin, CZ x 3, and 2 Anschutz. The Savage I sold after 30,000 rounds and it still shot under an inch at 100, the marlin after 20,000, my buddy is still shooting it ten years later, and the first CZ after 30,000; they both still shot under an inch. The second CZ has about 15,000 rounds through it and the last CZ is still new. The Anschutz has about 5,000 rounds through it, I sold the first one after about 8,000 rounds as the gun was starting to show signs of groups opening up.

The CZs are every bit as accurate as the Anschutz, half the price (not that that is a real big consideration when you are going through this amount of ammo) and the CZ Barrels last way better. The Savage, Marlin and CZs all shoot about the same accuracy wise. The Anschutz were both in about the same league. With the 17 HMR the limiting factor in accuracy is the ammunition, not the gun. No matter how well built the gun and barrel, they will not be more accurate than the ammo is capable of. There is no equivalent to Eley Tenex in 17 HMR.

I will sell the LH Anschutz and keep using the LH CZ 452 because I can get 30,000 rounds out of one, and still sell it knowing that it is shooting under 1 MOA.

Just my advice based on a bit of time spent with them.
And, IMO, its very good advice. I've played with various assorted Annies over the years and I've never found one that I fell in love with. One gripe of mine is that like a lot of European firearms, they design a decent looking rifle and then they put a strap iron trigger guard on it. UGH.....

If you have to have one, hold out for awhile while you look for a 64 action. Again, JMO.....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine