Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2019, 03:17 AM

I have a few short 20s. 17" 20br and a couple 18" 20 javelina imp. I use the exact same powders as a full length rifle would.

Aaron
Old 01-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
Having had a 223AI and 22-250AI...none would feed reliably as a repeater. This was from standard Rem 700 BDL magazine. The only way I ever got them to feed was out of straight line magazines...stagger feed magazines just never fed good for me.
I currently have 3 AI chambered repeaters, a 223, 22-250, and 260, and have had zero problems with any of them . . . although, the 223AI and 260AI are fed by center-feed magazines. The 22-250AI is a BDL mag set up and has never given me any problems feeding but am shooting 80 SMK and 62 TSX bullets, both rather long bullets, so perhaps that helps. The new .20 caliber build will also utilize a center-fed magazine - an HS Precision gen 2.

I'm getting the impression that my barrel length target of 18" might be borderline for this round, and perhaps I should think about at least a 20" or go with a 20 practical chambering in the 18" concept.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoillug View Post
I currently have 3 AI chambered repeaters, a 223, 22-250, and 260, and have had zero problems with any of them . . . although, the 223AI and 260AI are fed by center-feed magazines. The 22-250AI is a BDL mag set up and has never given me any problems feeding but am shooting 80 SMK and 62 TSX bullets, both rather long bullets, so perhaps that helps. The new .20 caliber build will also utilize a center-fed magazine - an HS Precision gen 2.

I'm getting the impression that my barrel length target of 18" might be borderline for this round, and perhaps I should think about at least a 20" or go with a 20 practical chambering in the 18" concept.
Yes, as I stated, centerfeed magazines are the most reliable.
I certainly did not mean to imply that an AI would NOT feed, just that sometimes out of stagger-feed design magazine assemblies, people encounter problems with "reliable" feeding...key word being "reliable". A google search on this will reveal some "often" encountered issues. Sometimes a person doesn't encounter any problems.
Also, as you stated, the longer bullets can help a bunch as they guide the cartridge into the chamber before the cartridge leaves the feed lips totally.
I was just suggesting to the OP that he "might" encounter a feeding problem as can "sometimes" be the case with AI cartridges. Just giving him some information to research and think about.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:25 PM

I hear people talk about Ack Imp rounds not feeding very well a fair amount so I suppose there must be something to it, but my 223AI is built on a Rem 700 that originally was a standard BDL setup but I switched it over to a HS Prec. det. mag setup when HS Prec. first came out with them for the 223 size rounds and it feed perfectly as a 223AI, regardless of if it was a Rem BDL or HS Prec DM system and pretty much all I've ever shot in mine is the 53gr Vmax.

I often hear about how a 6-284 doesn't feed very well too, but mine is a standard Rem BDL setup and it has never given me a single feeding problem
Old 01-09-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoillug View Post
As I said before, I like short barreled setups, especially, when you're shooting one suppressed. If your gun was already a 20-223AI and you'd been shooting it awhile and were now looking to shorten the barrel to 18in. I'd say heck ya, go for it, the only thing you'll lose is velocity, but so what, not like a coyote or varmint is going to know the difference.

But, if you are starting with a fresh build, I'd recommend a straight 20-223 AKA 20 Practical or 20-222 because out of a 18in. barrel, they'll shoot pretty much the same, but the others will do it with less powder and no fireforming.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:55 AM

I have a 16.5” 204 that I run the 55 Berger’s out of.

It didn’t lose near the velocity I thought it would, maybe heavy bullets have something to do with that, I don’t know. The load I use is fairly warm but safe in my rifle. Brass life is not a concern for me as it’s strcitly a calling rifle. I most likely will change out brass every season anyway.

With the suppressor on there it’s like carrying a rifle with a 22” barrel. Very easy to handle and carry.

It’s deadly on coyotes to 352 yards for sure. And rings steel very well to 500.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:39 PM

I had an 18" barrel on a Savage action chambered 20 Extreme and it shoots pretty good. A buddy liked is so much he insisted I sell it to him. The 20 Extreme is a 222 Rem case slightly shortened and necked to .204

I was looking for a youth model, synthetic stock rifle to build on as it was for my late wife who was sick at the time and didn't have the strength to hold my Rem heavy barrel 20 Extreme but wanted to be able to shoot the yotes that came in the yard when the mares were foaling. So I put a fluted 10 twist Benchmark barrel on it at 18" to see what I would get. It only needed to be accurate to 150 yards max - the important thing was weight. Stuck a straight four power scope on it and it was as light as I could get it. Sadly her disease progressed rapidly just after I got it built and she never did shoot it.

This gun shot pretty good (minute of coyote) to 150 yards with the 40 grain V-Max and H4198 but opened up after that. Velocity on those 40's was around 3200 fps. Not enough spin to reliably shoot the 55 grain Bergers with the 10 twist. I pondered the accuracy issue for a while after she passed and decided the stock was the issue. I am not a fan of plastic stocks so it really didn't take long for me to decide. Stuck a Boyd's thumbhole varminter stock on it, bedded it and lights out difference! It will hit a 4" gong at 300 yards 10 out of 10 times, at 400 I was hitting 8 out of 10. Never did shoot for groups at those distances, figured hitting the 4" square equalled a dead yote anyway. A better shooter or better loader might improve on that yet but those distances aren't needed at it's new home. Last winter my buddy shot 75 coyotes off his bait pile that is 157 yards from his house with that gun.

So my experience with short barrels has been good. I didn't try any different powders or bullets as I came upon a good load the first try. Other than trying the 55's and they didn't work. Good luck with your project
Old 01-11-2019, 03:40 PM

Thanks guys! After much thought and soul searching, I think I am going to stick with an 18" tube but go with the 20 practical chambering on this build. This gives me an excuse to perhaps plan for the 20-223AI in more of a longer barrel bench shooter.