Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Supporting Member

I got my samples this week and wikll try them in my 6 BR. They look great and thanks. Good luck in your new business.

mike
Old 12-12-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmthtr in Green Bay View Post
I got my samples this week and wikll try them in my 6 BR. They look great and thanks. Good luck in your new business.

mike
Same here; Don's operation is top notch all the way down to the packaging, including a dessicant packet in the container.

Mike
Old 01-23-2009, 10:04 PM

Default They shoot great

I received my samples from Don and loaded up some ammo. Here are the results:

Stolle Panda/6mm PPC.

66.7 Precisoin Ballistics FBOT 26 grains N133, 7.5, 2.165 OAL = .241
66.7 Precision Ballistics BTOT 26 grains N133, 7.5, 2.172 OAL = .087

I gave Don a call and gave him my impressions and thanked him for the samples.

I have loaded up some more ammo but I have been unable to get to the range again. Maybe tomorrow if the rain/snow holds off. If the boat tails continue to shoot that good I will be placing a large order.

Darn good bullets.

Mike.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:57 PM

Default nice web site

very nice web site. what are you using to countersink you meplates.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:07 AM

Cool

I use the Montour County Rifles Meplat Uniforming Tool to uniform and countersink my bullets. The MCRifles tool is unique among other meplat uniformers because it does not use a Delrin insert to hold the bullet. Instead it features a caliber-specific seat for the bullet's ogive, precisely milled in the stainless tool body. The hole's diameter is milled specifically for only 6mm; accordingly it achieves a very precise fit. One of the drawbacks of other tools that employ a Delrin (plastic) insert is inconsistent bullet seating pressure arising from the natural "give" of plastic verses stainless steel. Because stainless steel is harder than copper, it sometimes puts a minor mark on the shaft, but this does not effect accuracy. When you order meplat uniforming, I remove 0.002" from the tip, which pushes small burrs inside of the hollow point. I then use the center de-burring tool to remove these burrs and an even countersink is left in their place. This removes any inconsistencies in your bullet’s meplat, which produces better results, particularly at longer ranges. The deburring tool is part of their set up and the tip is extremely delicate, I have broken three of them and have four on my shelf as back-ups. Doing this is not the most fun thing to do and takes five times as long as making the bullet in the first place, but if shooters want it done and don't have the tool or want to do it I will be happy to do it. There is actually a marked decrease in the vertical component of your groups out past 300 yards. Of course wind and mirage never go away!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 AM

I know I started making 66.7gr 6mm bullets and passed out around 3,000 of them free to Saubier readers, but in case you haven't been on my website recently, I now am also making 66gr, 68gr, 74gr, 80gr, 88gr, 90gr and 95gr 6mm bullets, in both flat base or boat tail base. I still have about 17,000 cores that will make the 66.7gr bullets, but when those are gone I will likely not carry that bullet any longer.

My die maker, Dave Detsch, is working on a set of VLD dies for me and I sent him some Berger 105s and 108s as well as Sierra 107s to use for the general pattern. Should come out with around a 15 ogive, a very deep boat tail and a 0.030" meplat. I hope to see those dies this summer sometime. If they make bullets anywhere near as good as the above named ones, I will be very pleased. Feel free to visit my site anytime!

http://PrecisionBallisticsLLC.com
Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 AM

Bunghole

Can you export to Australia??

What other calibers and weights are you planning on in the future

a 6.5 cal around the weight of 120-125 grain with the BC of the 144 Lapua FMJBT would be great for the 6.5x47 crowd.

Waht about something in .30 cal light weight for us 30 BR shooters?

thanks
P
Old 05-06-2009, 06:13 AM

Pat have you taken too many of your Meds today, first that post about your dead accountant on AV then your screwing up someones forum name. You've got me roflmao!
Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 AM

is it too late to edit my original post???

sorry for the typo

P
Old 05-06-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre6br View Post
Bunghole

Can you export to Australia??

What other calibers and weights are you planning on in the future

a 6.5 cal around the weight of 120-125 grain with the BC of the 144 Lapua FMJBT would be great for the 6.5x47 crowd.

Waht about something in .30 cal light weight for us 30 BR shooters?

thanks
P
I wondered who would be first to augment my moniker, and you won! No worries Mate.

So far I've had no trouble going east to England and Norway. I'm pretty sure there are no restrictions going down under. If Customs doesn't give us any grief it should be alright. Shipping might be stiff though. May I suggest you drop me a private message with your shipping information and let me send you some free samples and see if that mine canary gets to you OK. If you like my pills then place an order. If not, no worries.

BTW, I just figured out exactly what would be needed for anyone who wanted to directly wire me the money rather than both of us giving a big chunk to the credit card companies and PayPal for fees. That's how the guys in the U.K. are doing it for 3000 74gr bullets, and it looks good all around.

With carbide dies, it would cost me $4000.00-$5000.00 for each caliber addition. I'm still getting over the shock of my $49,000 start-up costs in 2008, so it might be a while until I branch out. I currently go 6mm 66gr-95gr with the real expectation of adding up to 108 this summer. I have J4 jackets to go to 115gr but not sure I'll get any orders for those. If I add a caliber the next one would be 6.5, and my guess would be that may come in 2-3 years. Right now I have zero plans for doing anything larger than 6.5 because I am getting arthritis in my shoulders and other joints and to make each bullet requires cutting the core, forming (squirting) the core, seating the core, and pointing the bullet up (I left out LOTS of other steps) so there are three presses and a cutter to do for each bullet I can tell you that 6mm are large enough for all that manual swaging! The .30s would be best done on an automatic system, or done by young football players in training.

If you want me to try getting some bullet samples to you email me your info and the weight and style you'd like and it will cost you nothing.

Cheers!

BUGhole