Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Supporting Member

Default 222 Rifle Built "One Piece At A Time"

A while ago I saw a used factory Remington 700 BDL Sporter barrel in .222 for sale. I have had good experiences with the seller/gunsmith who had bore scoped and inspected it. I got the bright idea that, with it, I could build a nice walking varmint rifle. So I bought the used barrel from the gunsmith. I then found a new 700 action from a seller on another forum. I ordered a reamer from PT&G with .024" freebore as recommended by Dave Kiff. I sent the action and reamer to the gunsmith who turned back the barrel, reamed it with the new reamer, re-crowned it and installed it on the action. I found a good used 700 trigger from one fellow and then a 700 BDL stock from another. After receiving the barreled action back I began assembly. I used standard Weaver 35 & 36 bases and Burris Signature Zee rings. I took advantage of the sale that Nikon is running and got a Monarch 4-16x42 scope. After assembling it all I took it to the range and it shoots very well. First day out it was able to group SPSX 50 grainers in less than 1" groups. The project reminded me of the Johnny Cash song. Plus it is done just in time for chuck season!

Peter.

Last edited by PeterS; 07-30-2017 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Better picture
Old 03-10-2012, 12:43 AM

Default Lunch Box 700

Read your thread with great interest. Sounds like a very difficult way to end up with a 700 BDL, unless your reamer was in some wild and crazy chambering. "Jus' sayin'."
Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Supporting Member

No, not all that special I guess, just a project that was fun to do that will provide me with a Rem 700 Sporter, which I like and am familiar with, and one with a reasonable freebore (.024 leade) and tight factory neck (.251). It is not that easy to find one of these lately and if you can, they are not cheap. The resulting accuracy was a gamble but that seems to have worked out quite well. Before I go shooting with it again I may improve the trigger and try a different powder. Just a winter project done the hard way. Kind of like building a street rod .

Peter.

Last edited by PeterS; 03-17-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM

Default "Special"

Maybe it's me, reminiscing, but the "special" inside a 700 in Triple Duece will outlive me and many others.

As my my ID name would indicate, Remmy 700s, 722s, 725s are all items that have had, and will be part of my life and memories, regardless of if they are here or gone. SO MANY.......should have stayed here at "home" with me.

I think "rifle A.D.D" is a well founded, and "contagious" disease (???) but one I have a whale of a lot of fun with.

The 222 is one Ive had, still love the snot out of it.....and never ever is there a deal on come up that I don't do a double take on.

Yep, "new and improved" is all fine and good. Love the technology of rounds and powders, barrels....wow!

That said, and I doubt like thunder that this is "news" to many here, there is MORE TO a rifle and round than simple mathmatics.

I cannot even begin to count the number of fine Remington bolt action rifles Ive owned. I barely remember all the calibers, but in 222 alone there have been over a dozen.....and I'll bet lunch I own another someday.

My "new" love affair with the mini mauser CZ 527 is REALLY new and I'll own a 222 Full Stock when the stars align.

If I could find a 222 in one of the VERY few Custom shop Model Sevens in Full stock......it would still be in a higher prioritized catagory (AND price... )

All the yammering above is me just doing so but at least one here knows EXACTLY why you have, love to own and shoot a 700 in 222 Rem.

By building it, piece by piece, you just added to the personal sense of accomplishment when shooting it, IMHO.

NICE JOB!

God Bless

Last edited by Remmynut; 03-19-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

I think it's sweet!

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 07-30-2017, 12:57 AM
Supporting Member

Default Target Results

Had some time last weekend to do some more testing and adjust a new scope. H4198 with Hornady SPSX 50gr bullets set .010 off. Not a bad 4 shot group prone from a bipod @ 100yds.

Last edited by PeterS; 07-30-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Supporting Member

Congrats on your build. Sounds like you had lots of fun.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:42 PM

20.5 grains of H4198 is the diet of choice for my Sako's . I use the 50 Vmax, but need to try the SX. 1/2" with the L461 Varmint is the norm.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:09 AM
Supporting Member

Peter

Try some 40 gr V-max, and report !

I used to shoot a lot of 50gr. SPSX's, until I threw a few 40 gr V-maxes down the tube, of my 700 ADL .222.

Jim