Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-17-2018, 08:14 PM
Supporting Member

Default project

I'm assuming that if you're going to rechamber this project then re-threading is in your skill set. Do it right, cut off all the threads, re-thread and take the old chamber out. If your going to this much effort don't half ass it. I would also take a little off the muzzle and re-crown. That rifle was made in the days of 3pc rods and no bore guides. Otherwise you'll end up with a minute of pie plate 221fb, good for shooting turtles at 25ft and of course rowing a canoe. If it's worth doing its worth doing right.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:58 PM

I spoke to a Gunsmith I know and he pulled us the Chamber Diagrams for both cartridges and he said we have to cut 0.2773 off the threads and cut the Chamber does this sound right to you guys
Old 01-21-2018, 05:24 PM

Default Good advice

I'd do what Chuck said--if you can. If you take off the entire chamber and all the threads you can ensure the chamber is true to the bore, tenon is threaded true, etc. If not, any/all issues with concentricity, etc. during original manufacture will likely remain with the rechamber.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:07 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
I spoke to a Gunsmith I know and he pulled us the Chamber Diagrams for both cartridges and he said we have to cut 0.2773 off the threads and cut the Chamber does this sound right to you guys
Going your route is definitely cheaper, but if you want good results for your money, I'd definitely listen closely to what Chuck and George are telling you above. Taking short-cuts doesn't erase any factory manufacturing issue that might exist.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine