Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 12-08-2014, 09:42 PM

Default Copper strip jacket video

Saw this on You tube this afternoon. I make these with power, but started with hand tools like these years ago. I like jacket making - once you figure out the subtleties you can make damn near anything you want.

Guy is supposed to have the next part up by weeks end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IK0HFbr0uY
Old 12-08-2014, 11:19 PM

Pretty cool. I have a DVD from Corbin with a very similar video. Power is the way to go though I think. Did it speed up the process for you?
Old 12-08-2014, 11:39 PM

Not really much. But it is less tiring! The units with power feed make the cup/blank process faster. But the rest is the same. Strip set ups are great for personal use. But for commercial use I use them for impossible to find jackets or special stuff for calibers over 30. I have made some heavier than normal wall 17 and 20 for special hunting bullets for guys. A fairly thick jacket and the pure copper can be pretty wicked. But the labor makes them pricey.

Corbin makes it sound like ONLY his copper strip will work in his jacket makers - but my first unit it was one of his that made 1" discs, and I used his copper, commercial grade .032, and .049, and I'd bet in one of the BIG hand presses I could have done .062 also. I also got a bunch of metal strip from a guy in Indiana and it was about.035 and made beautiful jackets. I think he does himself a mis-justice when he makes the strip cutters sound too limited and complicated.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:42 PM

I agree. I think he figures you will think it is too much work to find it elsewhere and just buy it from him for more money. I can't complain about his equipment though it has all worked really well for me.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:23 AM

Yea I like it too! But I nearly passed on this part of the hobby because he made it sound so limited and difficult. And in the end it is butt simple and works with dang near any materials. I used beer cans once just to see. Glad I tried it. It's a bit pricey to set up from him though today. But nice thing the makers and draws work on any press hydro included. So you don't have to start over to trade up.

They aren't really that hard make either. I made a couple of units that blank and cup in one operation on the power press for a guy in AZ a couple years ago. The draws are easy built too, but time consuming, because the punch to die fit is tight and you have to make an alignment system to keep it all concentric. But in all not really too hard. Easier than a point form die for sure!!!!!
Old 12-12-2014, 02:19 AM

Default copper strip

I use a power press to make my jackets. A lot less work than by hand.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:47 PM

Agreed. Me too, But not everyone has or can afford power. And it is nice to know how to do them by hand. And a guys can still make a good pile in a day by hand.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:18 PM

Be wary of the guy in the video. I may be and I hope I am wrong, but he sounds just like a guy that is in trouble with the law for taking money and not sending product.