Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-28-2016, 01:35 AM

Larry's right on track.

I made my .22 TCM using a .223 Rem barrel shortened and rethreaded, but needed to rent a reamer to get it to work. Both the base and shoulder area needed to have a little metal removed. It was a quick and easy job, but necessary.

Sicero's also right. All this yields a lot of farting around with little gain. Question is, though, if it weren't for that insatiable desire we have to fart around and develop "something different," what caliber would we all be shooting and probably be getting bored with?

Last edited by dungheap; 07-28-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
I believe it was a shortened 221 FB die. Larry
Thanks for that info Larry. I ordered a 221 Fireball die set to see if I can duplicate the Short cartridge case. One other question -- there was mention of using a 22 magnum barrel for testing. Do you know if that testing was ever done with that barrel? I've chambered a 22 magnum barrel (1:14 twist) in 5.7X28 FN and It shot very accurately with a variety of light bullets with the best being the 40gr V-max and wondered if the .223 Short tests were ever documented.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 07-28-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:31 PM

Been so long ago I don't remember much about the first GM barrel I made up, I do know they had some excellent results with it, then I made up the takeoff Remington barrel using their newly made 22 short reamer, it was a sporter contour and I think it is what is on the test Savage now. I believe the first person doing the barrel testing work was involved in a very serious motorcycle accident which slowed the test process down a lot and disrupted the documentation some. Larry
Old 07-29-2016, 11:24 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
Been so long ago I don't remember much about the first GM barrel I made up, I do know they had some excellent results with it, then I made up the takeoff Remington barrel using their newly made 22 short reamer, it was a sporter contour and I think it is what is on the test Savage now. I believe the first person doing the barrel testing work was involved in a very serious motorcycle accident which slowed the test process down a lot and disrupted the documentation some. Larry
I hope all is ok with the person involved with the motorcycle accident. Was it maybe a fellow named Brian?

I tried to locate a reamer at PTG and found none so I e-mailed them with no reply yet. I really appreciate all the info you've given me and I hope that at some point I may be able to build a .223 Short rifle myself.

Thanks,
Charlie (Boomer)
Old 07-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Supporting Member

Default 22 TCM Brass

A friend of mine made me aware of this brass being available. He's attempting to "mentor" me on getting barrel for T/C G2 I have and shoot a 22TCM. I'm weakening some but am still holding tuff. Maybe tomorrow that could change. But anyhow, here's the site for those that don't want to go through the hassle of making it. Jim

http://sleepinggiantbrass.com/22tcm%20ss%20tumbled
Old 07-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Supporting Member

Also check out Ammo Supply Warehouse for TCM brass OR loaded ammo. With the proper head stamp, not from .223.

www.AmmoSupplyWarehouse.com
Old 07-31-2016, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member

Default Here is a short 17 Remington. Can't be done??

Short 17 remington, Made from 21fb brass. Have never had to resize and shoot around 500 every year we go PD n.
I had this rifle in 05 or whenever we all went to Wyoming for 2nd PD shoot.

Next is a 204 Ruger made from 223 brass
Next is a 223 and last a 204 Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.

Last edited by sicero; 07-31-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:54 PM

I bought a bag of formed brass from sleepinggiantbrass.com for the 14TCM and it has been excellent. Price was right too. Larry
Old 08-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Supporting Member

I've been thinking about what you guys have said about the 22 TCM and comparing it with what I'd have to do do to get the .223 Short done and feel the 22 TCM kind of wins out. For the .223 Short I'd need a reamer made -- I contacted PTG and they don't seem to know anything about the .223 Short cartridge and said they could make me one if I supplied the info. The next thing would be the FL die for the Short would need to be modified. With the 22 TCM I can get the die set ready to go and brass already formed. I've contacted a couple of Smiths and I can get a barrel made easy since they have the reamer.

I have a 22 Reed Express and love that round and the rifle that shoots it but I wanted another small cartridge case that was a bit easier to form and the fact that I can buy already formed brass was the clincher. With the setup I'm working on I won't be limited to the original 22 TCM commercial round COL and will be able to load just about any bullet up to maybe 50gr and be able to do light loads up to hot loads since this will be in a manually operated AR with no gas system -- to start with.

Thanks guys for show me the way to go,
22_boomer (charlie)
Old 08-03-2016, 03:35 PM
Supporting Member

I asked a few questions and got an email reply. Come to find out the 22 TCM is "proprietary" (I had to look it up to get the actual meaning) so a reamer can't be made from the print specs. Reamer and dies will have to come from a dummy round. Just a little different measurement will get the job done.