Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Board Sponsor

We have the brass in stock as well as the ammunition.
The longer bullets work best for hunting (in my opinion) I like the 200g LRN I run both GC and PB depending on speed for most of my shooting. Cast with WW +2% Sn it makes for a great hunting bullet. You can run just about anything up to about 220g. I have a fast twist (conversion barrel) that runs the 280g RN quite well, but it is a handful so it is not one you shoot a lot of, but it knocks the heck out of the steel. You can run the little 125g for mild shots for those with recoil sensitivity, and hot for varmints if you like. Just like most 35 calibers it is quite versatile.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 01-10-2018, 02:33 AM

As always generous folks at Saubier!

Dungheap, I most likely will never go above 158gr bullets but thank you none the less

reed1911, I can take the easy way out and order some cases from you but I really want to enjoy the process and the tinkering.

From what I gander it will be almost like the way I size 243 to 6.5 creedmoor. Trim a lot off the parent case being the 30/30 case then sending it into the 357 Herrett FLS die to expand the mouth and gently work the shoulder back then removing it from the die and into the pistol vice versa over and over until I get a good latch up.

I did form 22 Hornet brass into 17 HH brass and annealed the necks with great success. Will it be any harder than that process? And can I fire form them with a case full of trailboss and the 110gr Sierras? How much pressure will it take to form properly?

Another question is, will I be doing any damage to the hinge pin or latch if you will by running the 357 Herrett? Will it make the action sloppy and ruin it for the .221 fireball barrel in which I bought it for in the first place? Or does the Fireball have more pressure?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:51 AM

thrust is what kills frames. thrust is a byproduct of pressure and piston diameter (diameter of the case) the herrett is still relatively small in that department. the contender shoots cartridges as big as the 45/70 and 444 series of cases at moderate pressures all of the time without failure so I feel you'll be fine.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Board Sponsor

No, it is much easier than you would think to make the brass.

I can't comment on the trailboss, but fire form loads are as accurate as regular loads and the difference between the made vs. FF brass is not a whole lot. It does not take a lot of pressure to for the brass so pretty much any load works just fine.

You will not do any damage to the frame shooting any responsible (within the load guidelines) load in your weapon.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 01-11-2018, 12:11 AM

Sounds good fellas.

My die set, etc should be here soon. I'll form a few cases and work on the 110gr Sierras for a close up mild coyote round. Guess I should pick up some IMR 4227?

I'm sure I'll be hammering you guys with questions when I start forming and things start going wrong

I'm going to start by trimming the 30/30 cases down to 1.765 so this way there is less length for the ball to travel through the neck to expand it. Trim length in the book is 1.740, max is 1.750. I figure if I go a bit longer the length will change as I push the shoulder back?
Old 01-11-2018, 01:47 AM

I would make up a couple of dummies out of scrap or extra brass. My memory fails me now, you might see cases shrink after firing and case mouths may need to be squared up again.
Powders, I would not count on trail boss to full form your brass real nice, maybe if you anneal.
Listed powder for the 357 Herrett

H110/296
H4227/IMR4227
H322
IMR4198
--------------------
Cast Bullets
Unique
296/H110
SR4756
R7

A way to get rid of little dabs of powder.
Got my old dog eared ragged Contender reloading manual here. Can text or email ya pics of data.
Jeff
Old 01-18-2018, 08:47 PM

Just a follow up.

My Hornady dies and 30/30 brass showed up today. I set the fls die 1/4inch from the the shell holder and sized the 30/30 case mouth to .357. Then I trimmed the case down to 1.745. I then bottomed the case out in the die and kept turning the die clockwise an 1/8 turn then chambering it until the action closed positive. Everything went very smooth without issue. Now I just have to repeat the process and load some up to fire form them.

Last edited by Jingle; 01-18-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:47 AM

Sounds like you should be in good shape.
On initial forming and shooting. If you open and close it twice with some what of a brisk snap may help reduce any misfires from the bar not dropping. There will be no mark on the primer if that happens.
Once again, do NOT lube the locking bolt/lug and make sure the shelf on the action is free from lube,oil or grease. Pull the barrel off, a qtip swiped under neath the shelf will clear it.
Jeff
Old 01-19-2018, 01:27 AM

Thanks Jeff.

Gonna load some using a1680 and 110gr Sierras, hope its safe between 27-33 grs as the Hornady manual for the 125gr xtp is between those numbers. Can't see why going 15grs lower in bullet weight is going to create any danger.

The Contender manual states to load 10% lower than standard loads for fire forming.

The case looks pretty neat, I wonder if it will look any different after FFing?

Edit- What if I take the dummy round I made with no primer and close the action with a thin piece of paper an fire to see if the firing pin makes a hole in the paper?

Last edited by Jingle; 01-19-2018 at 01:31 AM.