Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-04-2020, 04:43 AM
Supporting Member

Appears Saubier member are not in the Moly camp and it's no longer popular. Did find out on another site that I'm not the last of the moly guys and there are still shooters that continue on. Thanks for the responses. Good shooting.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:23 PM
Supporting Member

I left moly for danzac (tungsten disulfide) way back and it has been a bit of help with cleaning intervals and bullet seating pressure, also very easy to apply. If I was just starting with coating bullets today I would go the HBN route.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:28 PM

FastPPC - I have run up to 300 naked between cleanings without loss in accuracy, in both the pac-nor and CZ bls. The Pac-Nor picked up zero copper fouling, however the CZ picked up just a tich. One 15 minute soak with Butches cleaned it out.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:37 PM
Supporting Member

Default Still going steady with Moly

I've been shooting moly coated bullets (do my own coating in a vibratory cleaner) for about 15 years. My Kimber .223, Savage .22-250 and 20 Vartarg have only ever seen moly. All have SS barrels. I have never detected any copper in the bore. I still use the Cabela's "Moly bore prep" to pre-coat the bore with moly after cleaning and before firing again - I let it sit overnight. I've never noticed any problem with removing moly from the bore - experimented with coated bullets to see what takes it off, and the answer seems to be "everything," so I mostly clean the moly out with Hoppe's #9 or Kroil. Others have noted that you can clean coated bullets with just Dawn dishwashing detergent. Does it make a difference? Hard to say and harder to prove, but all three of the above rifles are pretty consistent one-hole shooters for five shots at 100 yards so I don't think it has hurt. My newest build is a 6.5 Creedmoor with CrMo steel barrel, so I am running hBN in it. Same story so far, for not detecting copper. Haven't quite got it to "one-hole" status either, but it is running the factory barrel.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:51 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
FastPPC - I have run up to 300 naked between cleanings without loss in accuracy, in both the pac-nor and CZ bls. The Pac-Nor picked up zero copper fouling, however the CZ picked up just a tich. One 15 minute soak with Butches cleaned it out.
Barrels are definitely better today! I'd never imagine 300 rounds through a barrel and no loss of accuracy. Very impressive.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:23 AM

Big moly fan here. One of the best things about it, ammo keeps longer. I've run naked bullets before, I had a 20 Practical that would stack them in a hole, load testing with naked 39gr SBK's. Dang thing shot so good I didn't want to mess with it.....didn't shoot all my ammo on a PD trip and checked the 200 leftover rds the next year. No bueno...

I had to re-seat them a couple thou ( Brad G learned me on that one) to break the gaulding bond, then they would group again. My moly loads keep the same neck tension for years. I think the moly etched into the jacket keeps the normal process from happening, but Chem 101 was a long time ago...

I use the aqueous method though, trying to put moly on dry is like kissing your sister...the water allows it to actually etch in the jacket material, they come out a deep deep silver, can't rub it off either. Only way to roll, IMO

I've been using it for over 10 years, have numerous varmint rifles, and a borescope. Never had an issue. I clean my guns though, don't put them away wet and tired.

If you're loading fresh ammo every time you hit the range, probably not a big deal. But for me, I'm using moly.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:06 PM

bowfisher, just an FYI. MoS2 is an anti-galling, high pressure, dry film lubricant. It is used between titanium parts in critical jet engines so they don't weld together.