Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
In my experience, the main reason for the seated core sticking to the punch is the punch size. Too big, the punch can dig into the jacket and stick. Too small and the lead can bleed by and hold onto the punch. I would try to determine if one of these two are happening first. Putting a small amount of lube on the punch before seating the core can help, but the right sized punch is the best.

The J4 jackets are tapered so you can play around with final weight to possibly help get the right fit at a different depth in the jacket if you don't mind making a bullet slightly lighter or heavier than your original target weight.
great advice normally the calls I get for bullets sticking on punch is one of three things,to large of a punch,to much lube,to much pressure core seating with the correct size punch. george
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM

Default Or, just change the core volume/weight . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by george ulrich View Post
great advice normally the calls I get for bullets sticking on punch is one of three things,to large of a punch,to much lube,to much pressure core seating with the correct size punch. george
If you have only a small punch selection, simply make the core volume match your jacket LOT and punch size(es) - there is nothing magical in a specific weight.
Think VOLUME, not weight.
RG

P.S. Consider lube a necessary evil: use it sparingly - especially if using carbide dies.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 AM

Default Randy

If you had a small selection of punches all a tad on the small size would you increase core volume until you get a minute ring of lead of after you seat the core in the jacket.

Stephen Perry
Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen perry 1 View Post
If you had a small selection of punches all a tad on the small size would you increase core volume until you get a minute ring of lead of after you seat the core in the jacket.

Stephen Perry
Stephen, that would depend: if, when inserted into a raw jacket, of the Lot in question, the punch diameters were all too small to contact the jacket walls, one would either need some larger punches, or, have to live with the "excessive" bleed-by . . . which, especially if uniform, may not prove a bad as most would believe.

However, assuming that by small, you mean smaller than you'd like for your chosen weight, but which did, when inserted into the cup, contact the walls at a point above the projected tangent point of the shank/nose, then no. Just the opposite: one would reduce the core length/volume to match the punch diameter, expanded-up core, & jacket-wall thickness, to a degree which would afford the preferred small bleed-by . . . more volume would move the top of the core to a LARGER position (internal diameter) along the taper (I'm assuming a tapered jacket wall, a la J4), necessitating a LARGER punch diameter.

I believe, that a LIGHTER bullet would be the order of the day - I think. RG

Last edited by Randy Robinett; 04-05-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:40 AM

Default Randy

This is good stuff/info. Thanks Randy.

Stephen Perry
Old 05-04-2013, 01:08 AM

Default Other Ways To Look At Core Seating

Some as we saw earlier want to cast cores out of surplus lead. Fine says I if you have a journeyman bullet making die set for making varmint and plinking bullets. I would suggest a small punch set all undersized. Cast cores might be harder than the 1/2 % lead wire I use but do-able.

Those that try comeback on us I want te hear.

Stephen Perry
Old 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM

Default Day 4 Belongs With Day 1,2,3.

Day 4 should always follow Day 1,2,3.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 AM

Randy I have a Ruger 77 V in .308. What bullet weight would you recommend for shooting out to 600 yd.

Stephen Perry
Old 06-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen perry 1 View Post
Randy I have a Ruger 77 V in .308. What bullet weight would you recommend for shooting out to 600 yd.

Stephen Perry
Stephen, I shoot mid range 600 yd. I am thinking this it what you were asking. In my 308, I use 155 Sierra's or 175 Sierra's or Berger 155's or the 185's. Depending on twist.

Hunting I use Sierra's or Hornady's sst's in the 150 to 165 range. Not that there are not other brands of bullets that will do just fine. It's just I have tried some of the others and the ones I mentioned gave better accuracy in my rifle.

amos
Old 06-08-2013, 01:08 PM

amos
I only make 22 & 6 bullets so I have to listen to what others make or recommend in other calibers, might have some of the bullets you shoot.

Stephen Perry