Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Supporting Member

Here in New Zealand the roads are quite different to the US and Aussie. Our main highway runs the length of the country (apart from the stretch of water between the Islands) is mostly a two lane (one lane each way) with passing lanes at intervals.

The roads aren't made up of long straights like some of the motorways I've driven on in the US, they are more like some of the 45 - 50mph back roads I've driven on in the US.

I live in the South Island about 3/4 of the way down the East coast from the top of the South Island and drive to Nelson (top of the South Island) which is approx. 1600km (1000mi) round trip. If I was a young lad again I could probably drive there and back in approx. 17hours. I do usually drive the return trip (Nelson to Dunedin) with just one stop for petrol (can't quite squeeze the whole trip out of a tank full) and it takes me approx. 8.5 hours. I get about 30mpg (UK gallon not US) this is in a car............if I'm going to be going off road I'll use my Subaru and not worry about mileage........Kiwi

Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 AM

Kiwi
Here in the States those in the know are buying your type of Suburu. Most never go off road. At work I use a 2010 Ford Escape goes almost anywhere all time 4WD.

Stephen Perry
Old 06-05-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen perry 1 View Post
William
Graduated Chaffey High in 1968. Went to school with Gary Ovitt. Chaffey High is a classic 1920/1930 high like Pasadena high schools. I live 2 blocks off Euclid Ave in Upland. Temperate weather 70 deg most of year some 100 deg. Nice fruit trees. The Chaffey Brothers did leave us with a legacy. NASCAR race fans will notice the panoramic views of the San Bernardino Valley, a nice place to work and live.

Stephen Perry
Stephen,
I remember Gary Ovitt! He was a great Ball Player!
Euclid was THE PLACE on the 4th of July! Got almost "drunk" on Sunkist Lemonade in the Big Oak Barrels! The All-States Parade & Picnic was so cool under all those pepper trees....they were cut down when last I visited-some disease got them.

I graduated in 1967, but at N. Little Rock HS. Just got my freshman year in at CHS, before we moved. Our last address was 227 W 6th Street, just off Euclid, before the freeway overpass to Upland. Rode bikes to the canyon stream above where the NASCAR track is now. Great trout fishing! The stream was dry last I heard.

Used to shoot ground squirrels down by the Chino Women's Prison with my first rifle: a Savage 22 Mag/410. That area all covered with homes now

I could not believe the HUGE homes on the foothills of Upland!

I treasure those times in Ontario-a kid could not want a better place to grow up, at that time!!!!

I bet we came across each other somewhere/sometime! I was a goofy kid with a butch hair cut and acne! So, I stood out!

Bill
Old 06-06-2013, 01:44 AM

Default 2012 Ford Escape

I drive one at work. Ours is V6 all time 4WD Hybrid. Been everywhere in San Bernardino County California with the Escape most times 26 mpg, almost under water a couple times.

Any feeling on this vehicle.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 06-07-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 AM

Kiwi how do you manage to keep your Suby in such great condition ? I have not seen a Brumby that good for years.

My field vehicle is a 1997 Landcruiser 80 series which I will not part with. Goes everywhere we need and returns 24 MPG around town and uses even less fuel on trips. Also makes a great shooting platform.

Here Rob and I are discussing my next shot, these things have to be worked out before we dispatch the next rabbit.

Descisions are made, good night rabbit.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:07 PM

Fox
What caliber the shooter looks like a 200M shot.

Stephen Perry
Old 06-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter223 View Post
Kiwi how do you manage to keep your Suby in such great condition ? I have not seen a Brumby that good for years.

That Brumby probably owes me more than that cruiser........it was a we bit rough when I got it (a young bloke owned it before me) but the only rust was the drivers sill. I had another sill made and fitted, a bit of panel beating straightened it out and new coat of paint (original colour). I'm still trying to find a straight rust free bonnet (hood for the US readers) to replace the matt black bonnet.

Next came a 2.2 legacy motor, a marriage of a legacy and RX leone gearbox gave me 5 gears, full time 4wd, hi and lo ratio and the RX Leone bit is the centre diff lock, then added a lsd from the RX Leone. This thing will cruise at 140kph + and go anywhere

It doesn't look as clean at the moment, it spent last Sunday running up and down a wet greasy muddy paddock so I could change targets at a Benchrest match I was running. Good groups at 200 were less than 2" with the gusty 50kph winds we had, there was only 1 shooter who managed to keep all their groups under 2"........my wife..........Kiwi
Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 AM

Kiwi
Somewhat know where your coming from on running benchrest matches. At San Gabriel range in So Cal I was first shooter/range help for 1 1/2 yr and then shoot director NBRSA/IBS from 1995 till 2006. Lots of exercise doing frames, targets, baby sitting, trophies, and such. We had a 1950 Ford truck to haul frames back and forth. I also was bone tired the last one to leave.

Stephen Perry
Old 06-08-2013, 07:39 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my field vehical it started off as a series 2. 2.1/4ltr petrol engine in 1959 its had a few modifications now like a set of 6 cylender front brakes that increases the braking area by 33% and a vacume servo it also has a series 3 g/box with sincro on all forward gears along with an overdrive that works in every gear so gives me a choice of 16 forward and 4 reverse gear ratio,s
It now sports a 2.5ltr turbo diesel engine out of a Landrover 90 of 1989 vintage and is stripped at the moment on a rebuild with new rings shells and valve guides it should be on the road within a week.
The exaust has also been raised since the photo and is now a lot higher
Now is the best time for maintainance the grass and crops are too high to see rabbits and the farmers get funny if you drive on the fields.
I get about 25mpg on the road but a lot less on the fields cause always in low box.
Because of its age my road tax is free my insurance is only £87 a year for up to 3,000miles and is insured for £1,200 fully comp.
It flew through the last 4 M O T Tests except this last one i needed a new nearside front wheel bearing and two front shockers total cost £45.
Most of the time i back it into a hedge stand in the back and shoot off the roof but i also have suport to shoot a full 360 degrees if i need to.
My stand by vehical is a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 2.5TD but i prefer the Landy because of the increased ground clearance to drive in the ruts that the tractors make
Wally
Old 06-08-2013, 08:37 PM

Wally
That's my kind of vehicle don't need no 400 hp vehicle to go in the back country. My friends dad had a 57 jeep pick up went allot of places mostly mountains. My dad sold me his one owner 62 Falcon wagon. That car went through the desert like a small bull steer. Got stuck once in a while so what dug it out. Very few of the dirt roads in the desert are hard pack.

I learned in Arizona going to Ben Avery range on year that big hp and 4WD gets you in trouble on road shoulders after a night rain. Best thing to do is shift to drive and slowly pull yourself out. Seen 4WD's buried up to the hubs same day.

Your field vehicle would be worth to me more than anything new. Your gas mileage would meet my needs.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 06-08-2013 at 08:40 PM.