Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 10-13-2013, 02:58 AM

Default Wife + Baby Rifle = BIG HOG!

I took my wife Terry out yesterday to get in a little range time before taking her hog hunting today...

This is Terry's "Baby Rifle" - A T/C Contender carbine in 7mm TCU...

The bullet of choice is Sierra's 160 gr. B.T.-H.P. Game King...

3-shot groups averaged 7/8" or less at 150 yds...

DAVID
Old 10-13-2013, 03:00 AM

Terry's BIG PIG - 500 pounds worth!!!

I shot the little guy, just for the grill. It was only 60 lbs...

I'm gonna have a European skull mount of Terry's Hog and I'll post a picture of that, once we get it back....

DAVID
Old 10-13-2013, 03:05 AM

Here is the last picture with a better angle of those razor sharp tusks!

DAVID
Old 10-13-2013, 08:46 AM

Congratulations to your missus, that is one very impressive pig, nice set of hooks on him as well. The little fella should chew nicely.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Supporting Member

Hello David.

Congrats to you and Terry! That is a huge trophy and a sharp looking T/C!! I look forward to seeing the special mount when complete.

Don
Old 10-13-2013, 03:38 PM

David,
Is that an Oklahoma Hog? Monster!
In that one photo, I can't believe all three shots missed that penny
Nice work, both of you!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Bill
Old 10-13-2013, 05:07 PM

Thank you Don...

William - yes, that is an Oklahoma hog...

Two weeks before the hunt, there was a 600 lb. boar that was killed by an even larger bore! It was ripped to shreds! They said that one would weigh somewhere between 800 and 1,000 pounds! I got a glimpse of it a month or so ago and it was the most MASSIVE hog I have ever see in my life! The best way I can describe it, is that it looked like a black Volkswagen running through the woods...

What can I say about that penny? It just wouldn't stand still for a shot - hehe...

Thank you William....

DAVID
Old 10-13-2013, 05:49 PM

Default Whatahog.......but NO huntin' story?

Help us e z chair types out with some vicarious blow by blows.

Caption contest you say for the head mount?

Hogzilla is waaay over done so I suggest:

BRUTEMUS

He is a monster for sure. A black V W going through the woods........now that's a visual.

Very nice and props to the Missus.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:02 PM

Ok TAJ45...

My wife and I got on stand last Wednesday morning @ 6:00 am...

While waiting on first light, we could hear faint squeals and grunts off in the distance. Terry and I whispered back and fourth about what we would do if the "monster hog" showed up and we both shrugged our shoulders. I had my 308 Sniper rifle as back-up but, unless it really came down to it, I had no intentions of shooting anything. It was just safety insurance in case we were both on the ground and got charged by a hog...

As soon as the sun started peeking through the trees, the woods and fields started coming alive. Terry spotted a coyote about 100 yds. out. I put the crosshairs on it and at the last second, decided not to shoot. This was Terry's hunt and I did not want to do anything to spoil it. Terry declined to shoot it as well and that was okay too...

A few minutes later, I spotted a hog some 200 yds. to our left. We watched it about ten seconds and then it dissapeared into the woods...

A couple of minutes later, there was a 200+ pound hog that came in from our right side. Terry watched it through her scope for a little bit but, decided that was not the one she wanted. That hog was around 70 yds. away and we watched it feed on acorns for around 15-20 minutes, and then it finally went out of sight...

Another 10-15 minutes later, another hog showed up. This one was probably 250 pounds. Then another hog showed up and then another one. We had three hogs less than 75 yds. from us, that weighed 250-300 lbs.. One real black hog got Terry's attention and she kept it in her crosshairs. She asked me if I thought she ought to take it and I told her it was strictly her call. This was her hunt and I was just there for back-up. She watched that black hog for 30 minutes, as the other two walked under our stand and eventually fed back into the woods. That black hog though, stayed out in the open and when it was about 125 yds. away, Terry said she wished she had shot it when it was closer. I told her she could still shoot it if she wanted to but, she decided to let it pass...

After the black hog left, we had 30-40 pigs come out of another section of the woods to our right. These guys probably averaged 100-200 lbs. each and were very mean and aggressive. They were running amuck, chasing and biting each other and just going nuts, popping their teeth as they chased each other! We kinda thought it was funny, till we saw a couple of them bleeding and realized they were serious and not just playing. All of this went of for about an hour or so, and they all eventually went out of sight...

The black hog we were watching, was now about 100 yds. out. I told Terry to take it if she wanted it and she said okay. While she was sighting in on it, I watched her reach up to cock the hammer and before she got it all the way back, I said STOP! I caught movement around 250 yds. away and if I had false teeth, they would have fell out of my mouth. I told Terry to forget that "little" pig cause there was one much bigger out in the other pasture. She looked at it and said, what do I do? I told her to not move and we'll see where this guy is headed. Even at 250 yds., this "ol boy was bigger than the 300 lb. hog we were looking at, at 100 yds. I watched this hog tear through a barb wire fence and not even slow down. He then turned to our right and went in a corner of the woods. He came back out a few minutes later, run up to the black hog we had been watching and literally ripped that hog wide open with his tusks! No exaggeration, that hog had a gash over two feet long down its side. Needless to say, that one ran off squealing, till it was well out of sight...

Now Terry's hog - he is now about 150 yds. out and heading straight at us. I tell Terry to get a good rest, cock the hammer and get ready...

125 yds. - that 500 lb. brute is still coming - head on...

100 yds. - I tell Terry to put the crosshairs directly between its eyes. She says I got him, just say when. The trigger pull on this gun is a very crisp 20 oz. and I reminded her to stay away from the trigger until she was ready for the shot. No problem she said...

80 yds. - something in the woods spooked this big hog and he turned to run, took a few steps and came back, still at 80 yds...

The hog was still facing us, but at a slight angle to our left. I told Terry to move the crosshairs to the crease line in front of the hogs shoulder. I said you will be between his neck and shoulder. Okay - are you ready? Shoot! A split second later, she fires and I see the bullet strike dead center on the crease line of that hogs shoulder and the dust flies off of the EXACT spot I told her to shoot! That hog makes half a grunt and falls in a heap! I darned near fall out of the stand and said YOU GOT HIM!!! About that time, the hog gets to its feet and slowly wobbles to the woods. We wait a little while, don't hear anything and slowly start making our way over to where we saw the hog enter the woods. When we get there, he is about 20 yds. inside the woods and walking REAL SLOW! About then, he turns around and looks back at us and grunts. Oh spit I thought! I really wished at that time I had my 375 H&H Ackley instead of my 308 but, a few seconds later, he turned back around and collapsed. I got Terry positioned to put a bullet behind the hogs front shoulder and with her first ever off hand shot, she made a perfect finishing shot! After a long 3 seconds and a final grunt, her trophy laid over on its side...

We had to get someone with a tractor to load the hog into the back of my truck and while waiting on it, a 60 lb. porker showed itself and I told Terry I was gonna shoot it for the grill. I took aim and head shot it at just over 150 yds...

Both pigs were taken to the Game Processor and we told the guys to turn it all into sausage. Now, were just gonna wait and see just how much sausage we get back from 560 lbs. worth of BIG HOG and little pig....

The end!

DAVID

Last edited by DAVID; 10-14-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: correcting missed words fron iPhone
Old 10-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Wow...WOW!

Was this a guided hunt or property you lease? I sure would like to do a hog hunt sometime, but I'd leave the small cals at home.