Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
Wow...WOW!

Was this a guided hunt or property you lease? I sure would like to do a hog hunt sometime, but I'd leave the small cals at home.

Hogs run wild and free around here in Oklahoma, like they do in most other states. If you find hogs, look for the land owner, ask permission and go kill a hog. It's pretty much that plain and simple...

As far as the caliber goes, I knew it was more than adequate or else it would have stayed at the house....

DAVID
Old 10-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Administrator

No, my apologies...I meant I'd leave my 17's at home if I were to go for hogs. Especially something that big. I can see how you misread my post. I didn't mean your TCU. That's a powerful round in that baby rifle. I have a 10" contender that I want to use for whitetails. Fun cartridge to work with.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:23 AM

My apologies too! I was not thinking "SMALL" like .17 calibers...

I find the 7mm TCU to be a very versatile cartridge and one that I started shooting back in 1985, in both rifles and handguns...

I have also built a lot of the H&R single shot rifles in 7mm TCU and so far, from all the guys I have heard back from, they seem to be very impressed with the performance of this round...

What bullet are you gonna shoot in your 10" barrel?

DAVID
Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 AM
Administrator

I haven't put many rounds thru it. I started with 120 ballistic tips and H322, found a good load near Max and called it good. My shots will be <50 yards and I'm sure the BT's will work. But I have a pile of hornady 154 gr spitzers and a couple hundred speer 150's that will work. That reminds me...I need to get that out and shoot it!

I'd like to find a contender rifle barrel in that caliber, or in 7mm int. Rimmed. I have a super 14 in that that is super accurate and I've taken a doe antelope with it at 225 yds.

A model seven repeater in the TCU is another on my wish list.

Last edited by csterner; 10-14-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:50 AM

Here is something for you to ponder over. This is a Super 14" Contender barrel that I added one of my barrel extensions to, to make it a "legal" rifle length barrel @ 16 1/2"....

This little rig tips the scales at 4 1/2 lbs. - minus the bi-pod....

DAVID
Old 10-14-2013, 12:59 AM
Administrator

I'll remember that if one comes thru the shop. Thanks for the idea. That would be great for my nephews who are recoil shy.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:10 AM

I put my barrel extensions on a LOT of the T/C Contender Super 14" barrels. From the 17 calibers up to and including the 30-30's, 35 Remington, 44 magnums, etc.. Everyone is really surprised at how accurate these short/stiff barrels are, when shot as a rifle....

DAVID
Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to maxscm
Default hogs

Dang!! them some more BIG HOGS!!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Congrats to the Missus! You've got some good genetics there in your area. I've bowhunted hogs in TX for quite a few years and have never killed a hog with that nice of a coat. Looks like a nice Eurasian bloodline. A big boar like that would make a superb mount!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 PM

I picked up over 110 lbs. of sausage from our game processor yesterday. He showed me the hide they skinned off that 500 lb. hog, and amazingly, those two bullets passed completely through, with exit holes as big as a quarter...

Here are a couple of pictures of the skull we got back...