Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-02-2019, 05:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld
Default Silverfox

Hey LeRoy:

Couple questions for you.

With these nice mild temps the last few days have you been out
for p/dogs?

How's the back doing with that TENS implant?

I gave up with mine, just too much struggle trying to recharge it.
Then in Oct having this knee replaced I can't get comfortable laying
on my back very long. takes nearly 2 hours to recharge the thing. I
just can't do it.

Hope it's magic for you.

Stay warm up there!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-03-2019, 02:46 AM
Supporting Member

georgeld--unfortunately, I haven't given one thought to take my pain-racked body out hunting. I'm sure there were some PDs out just begging to have me paint the snow red with their blood, but I couldn't oblige them.

I'm sorry to hear you had trouble recharging your unit. They claim mine will take less than an hour to recharge. I hope that is true.

I had about 80 to 85% relief from the 5-day trial version so I decided to schedule the procedure for the permanent one. I'm scheduled to have the permanent one installed on my spine on February 6. They are going to install the paddle style lead because the small leads slid down on the trial version. The paddle is a bit more difficult to install but they suture it in place so it should stay in place. I watched a video of the procedure last night and I had nightmares thinking I was going to have that done to my back, but I think it will be worth it. Any prayers you can offer up on my behalf will be greatly appreciated.

After the SCS installation I'm supposed to be very careful and not do any bending, stretching, jumping, or anything that might cause the paddle to move or the incisions to open up. I'll be going back to the surgeon on February 19 for them to remove the staples and to turn on the stimulator. I think they will have me visit them again on February 26 for further adjustments on the SCN.

We are going to have some very cold temperatures and they are promising we'll get 6 to 8 inches of snow!!!! That's just what I need to help loosen up my sore back!!! NOT!!!

NRA Life Member
Old 02-03-2019, 02:53 AM

Default Silverfox

I sure hope that all works out well for you LeRoy.. Bummer that you have not been able or felt like getting out, know you are itching to paint some color and give some acrobatic lessons. In time, my friend. Follow doctor's orders and get back in the groove quickly, we can see and read more on your flora and fauna ventures. Bill K
Old 02-03-2019, 02:55 AM

Silverfox,
I'm sure that all of us who follow your exploits are praying for pain relief and a speedy recovery!
You need to get better so you can share your adventures and your photos on the plains of ND.
Best Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 02-03-2019, 03:33 AM
Supporting Member

Have you guys tried the portable TENS Unit which uses external leads held in place with re-usable self-sticking adhesive tabs like used for EKG's? I have one of them and it works great. The 9-volt battery powered control unit is about the size of a cell phone with plug-in 6' external leads. The 9-volt battery is rechargeable and it lasts for about 3 hours of use. Using it involved sitting or laying fairly dormant for about 30 minutes a day. I have even used it while driving.

I haven't had a regular need for it in maybe the past 1.5 years, but it's a very simple device and it does not require any surgical procedure. Just place the tabs where you want them and turn it on. A 30 minute daily treatment was all that was usually needed to relieve my back pain.

I've had two full spinal fusion surgeries (1994 and 2004) with the five lower vertebrae in my back fused together, and when I needed it for pain relief, it was a life saver. In 2004 it was an option versus having an implant. Implants back then worked for maybe 3 years and were non-rechargeable. Maybe things have changed since then? Are the external units still available?

The best thing I like about it is the ease by which you can place the leads where the pain is today, and you are capable of placing them in a different spot tomorrow where the pain is most intense.

My unit is like the one on the far left in the top row.............. It looks like the newer models have digital screens. Mine has reostat dials to increase or decrease intensity.

https://www.lgmedsupply.com/tensproducts.html

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-03-2019 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:24 AM

LeRoy:

Make sure they put the battery section where you can reach it.
That's the problem I have. Can't reach much back there now with
these shoulder replacements. The one they put in me is the paddle
type. Thing is the paddle is on the OUTSIDE! I explained to the dr and his helper: "make sure it's where I can
reach it and showed them the limits of my reach and make very sure you
don't give me any Fentanyl, I'm allergic to the stuff".

Count on it, out of reach, very hard to find the EXACT location to make it
recharge and they gave me Fentanyl again! Wondered why my joints and bones ached so bad for weeks. Got the bill that showed: .1cc Fentanyl.
I looked up the reactions for it: sure thing, "aching joints/bones". In April I had the R rotator fixed again. Two doses of 2.8cc Fentanyl: I was so dizzy I could barely stand against the bed while the nurse dressed me. Got home and had to have the wheel chair roll me in I couldn't stand up from being dizzy. Shortly after that, got where I couldn't catch my breath, huffing and puffing hard til after 3am when I finally went to sleep. For the knee replacement in Oct I made the dr sign a note: "I agree to make sure Mr. Dwight does not receive Fentanyl". I didn't and was fine. Only had that stuff the two times. Be mighty careful!

Good luck, just go easy for a few days and it'll be fine. They can adjust it for 10,000 various settings the tech claimed, so if it don't relieve your pains, go back for a resetting of the programs. They'll pester you to death with texts wanting you to do a survey. A real PITA to me getting all those demands for info etc. They've billed: $96,000, $55,000, and $99,000, plus $5500 to adjust it in a dr's office. Medicare refused to pay the last three charges and limited the first one to $18,000 I think it was. Watch those statements too.

BCB: Used those POS crap things for years, started mine way back around 1985. Still have three units and two are dead. Just about the same as you: bottom 4 fused, just L3 the first time. One's above it now are crooked, doc said: "no more back surgeries".

Guess that means just suffer from now on.

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-03-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
Have you guys tried the portable TENS Unit which uses external leads held in place with re-usable self-sticking adhesive tabs like used for EKG's? I have one of them and it works great. The 9-volt battery powered control unit is about the size of a cell phone with plug-in 6' external leads. The 9-volt battery is rechargeable and it lasts for about 3 hours of use. Using it involved sitting or laying fairly dormant for about 30 minutes a day. I have even used it while driving.

I haven't had a regular need for it in maybe the past 1.5 years, but it's a very simple device and it does not require any surgical procedure. Just place the tabs where you want them and turn it on. A 30 minute daily treatment was all that was usually needed to relieve my back pain.

I've had two full spinal fusion surgeries (1994 and 2004) with the five lower vertebrae in my back fused together, and when I needed it for pain relief, it was a life saver. In 2004 it was an option versus having an implant. Implants back then worked for maybe 3 years and were non-rechargeable. Maybe things have changed since then? Are the external units still available?

The best thing I like about it is the ease by which you can place the leads where the pain is today, and you are capable of placing them in a different spot tomorrow where the pain is most intense.

My unit is like the one on the far left in the top row.............. It looks like the newer models have digital screens. Mine has reostat dials to increase or decrease intensity.

https://www.lgmedsupply.com/tensproducts.html

-BCB
Hi,
I used this type and it has two sets of leads allowing me to do one knee and my back at the same time. Easy enough to stick the unit in my pocket move about the house if I want.
Not sure whether it actually removes the pain, or just interrupts the signal to the brain making it seem like the pain has gone. Whatever, I wouldn’t be without it.
Ken.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:53 PM

LG7000 unit is available at Amazon for $26.99 shipped. Rechargeable battery and charger are not included. They claim the included alkaline battery will last 48 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/TENS-7000-Dig...7000+tens+unit
Old 02-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Supporting Member

With all due respect, George, I had an implant put in when I had my first surgery. Whether it worked or not, I have no idea. I experienced a lot of pain for maybe 6 months before I got my body back into normal activity shape. That is the key: Getting your core body in shape.... The implant was felt a few times externally when I bumped my back against a hard surface that made me very aware that there was an implant/hard object near my spine. Not a pleasant experience most times when that happened.

For the second surgery in 2004, the same Ortho surgeon removed the first implant and before the surgery he gave me an option for another implant or an external TENS unit. I went with the external option and still have the original unit and it still works great if I need it. No POS experience for me.

And as kenbro said, "Not sure whether it actually removes the pain, or just interrupts the signal to the brain making it seem like the pain has gone. Whatever, I wouldn’t be without it." In fact, any TENS unit just blocks the pain sensation which is good enough for me as one 30 minute treatment daily was all that I needed to get my life back to normal, coupled with regular exercise, following the second surgery.

And like kenbro also stated, you can move about normally in your surroundings while the unit is working. I usually sat at the computer or layed on the couch watching tv sometimes, but it was a life saver for me when I needed it. As I stated yesterday, I even drove while it was being used a few times. Today its a rare thing to use it but it still works great for me if I do something I shouldn't do like lifting too much weight or whatever. Beyond that I'm active, walk daily, play golf (if its not raining), kayak, and do just about anything else that I want involving physical activity that is within reason for the 2 full fusion surgeries. I even shoot my 416 Rem Mag rifle occasionally (a back twister in itself). I haven't tried football since using it........., but I do a lot of fairly rigorous physical activities daily none the less with zilch pain as long as I don't strain the back by doing something stupid (which does occur every once in awhile)

Sorry it didn't work for you but it definitely did for me. For me, the implant from my first surgery was a POS if you want an evaluation of it. That was why I posted my inquiry last night. I'm sure the technology is better today, but I went back to the same Dr. mid-summer 2018 just to check on how things were going and all is well. If I ever need another surgery, I know I won't let them put an implant in. The Ortho surgeon agreed with me that they are not the best thing even today if you are active. But that's just my body involved. YMMV............

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-03-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:33 AM

BCB: Ken:

I'm tickled to hear they work for you guys.
Sure hope it does for LeRoy too.

I do believe this implant would do a fine job for me.
Just too bad the dr put the battery pack up so high
I can't reach it.
Should be down around my kidney area, it's almost against
my L shoulder blade. I can't reach that high up now.

I used the stick on's for years, starting around '85 when nothing else
would help and nothing could be seen to fix the damage til i really messed
it up 9/11/05. Month later that was fixed and I could walk again.

Never helped with my knee's though. too active then, got tangled in the wires and broke several off.

it's about CONTROL!!"