Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Supporting Member

Crows and magpies are protected in Montana. My understanding was concern over the fact that the crows and magpies eat a lot of carrion, some of which died from disease. When the birds cycle the diseased carcass through their bodies the disease isn't passed on and the animal is cleaned up as it were. I ain't selling that idea or even saying it makes sense but that's what I heard from a fellow hunter safety instructor.
Actually I can see were it is plausible in theory.
What I do know for sure is that they are protected here.
I've seen 20 or better of em following around behind us when we were laying Skippy to waste, hawks and eagles as well. Like someone rang the dinner bell. Guess we did when ya get right down to it.
Eagles magpies and crows in this pic, flew right in where we'd been shooting.

There was a time a crow wouldn't let ya within a mile of em with a rifle, they seemed to be able to tell the difference if you were carrying a rifle or a shovel.

Last edited by montdoug; 02-25-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_bentley View Post
No it means there is a season. Still, there are so many crows in Cali I feel it's my duty to thin them out. Michael you wanna help?
count me in.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 PM

Default I hate to muddy the waters....

Here in ID. I was told that Ravens were seriously protected as a result of an agreement with Canada. I was also told it had to do with Native American religious beliefs. They are verboten to shoot. Crows now have a season as well, oddly enough you can shoot them about the time they migrate south.... If the Raven numbers reflect their being protected; it is working well.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:56 AM
Supporting Member

Well I have whacked a few this year, some big ones too. Not Ravens, but 6lb crows. Also that comment about telling the difference be an armed and non-armed hunter is far from truth. The American Crow is the smartest bird in North America. They have the ability to use tools and reason. It ranks amoung the top 10 of smartest fowls.