Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-24-2010, 01:45 PM

Default 5mm rimfire.

Can anyone tell me who is making a new rifle in this caliber?? I think I may want one for my arsenal. I know they just came out a year or two ago, but cant remember who was building them. I looked on Remington and Marlin's website, but didnt see anything... Thanks T.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

currently there aren't any companies producing a rifle in this caliber. Remington use to chamber a rifle in this caliber years ago, however there aren't that many of them around. A few companies like CZ and Taurus have considered chambering a rifle or pistol in this caliber, it just never went any further. I do know that Thompson center makes a barrel for the encore rifle that is chambered in this caliber. Good luck in your search.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:53 AM

Taurus has the 5mm available in the Tracker line according to their website.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:50 PM

According to one of my wholesalers, the Taurus 590 9 shot revolver will be available in July according to Taurus but figure on later it hitting the stores in the fall was his best guess.

I talked with Savage, Ruger and Remington as well as Henry about bringing rifles out at the SHOT Show.

Savage was very interest and had done a lot of research, we looked at several actions and discussed the interest and demand on two of the four days I was there..

Hornady and Ruger were interested, Henry had looked at it and rejected the idea as it does not match well with their rifles.

All of the companies had done comparision between the orginal Remington and current Centerion ammo. They are very excited about the new ammo and very concerned about the avialability of the older ammo being shot in new rifles.

There was interest in the cartridge as a reloadable centerfire, when shown the 5MM Craig.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle_view View Post
very concerned about the avialability of the older ammo being shot in new rifles.

There was interest in the cartridge as a reloadable centerfire, when shown the 5MM Craig.

Lowell
So the older Rem RF ammo is enough higher pressure than the Centurion to cause this concern?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 AM

Default Source of 5mm Rem. T/C Contender barrels

Ed's Contender's still has 5 mm Remington T/C Contender 23" barrels still listed on his web site.

http://www.edstc.com/index.html
Old 04-27-2010, 01:37 AM

Default Boy would I love to see

a 5mm Cooper LVT or model 38
Ed's prices are pretty good for barrels
the NIB 10" barrel is a steal at $195.00
Matt
Old 04-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Supporting Member

Keep in mind that Ed has a hard time keeping the web site up to date. I bought my 5mag from him at that price and it had a cool looking gold inlaid writing on the barrel. I hope he has a few back in stock!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
So the older Rem RF ammo is enough higher pressure than the Centurion to cause this concern?
G,

It's not just the pressures, but also the thinner brass and brittle case heads on the older ammo that has some concerned. The Centurion ammo does run at lower pressures but also has a much more robust case/case head.

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 04-27-2010, 04:52 PM

The thin brittle cases and spikey pressures of the orginal Remington ammunition has been a constant concern of those that have or are looking at building new 5MM firearms. This has been expressed to me by every manufacturer that I have talked with. They all think that the Centurion Ammo is much better made and loaded with a better powder.

WE have certainly gained respect for that older ammo while trying to develop a new action here. 33,000 psi is a lot of pressure to release near your face and hands not to mention brass fragments.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON