Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Supporting Member

Default Hello....My Name Is Roy and I'm A........

SCOPEAHOLIC!

I try to quit........But is someone sends me a catalog or an email with some type of scope deal, I just can't stop myself!

I buy cheap scopes, I but expensive scopes, I buy anything with a ocular and an objective..........If it has side focus I start to salivate.....Lord help me if it's 30mm!...........I have scopes with lighted reticles, I have scopes that you shine a flashlight into them and the reticle glow. I know no national boundaries......I have scopes from Germany, America, Japan, Thailand, Philippines, China, Australia, Austria, I bet if I look hard enough I have a scope or two from Pluto!

This is where my addiction has led me in the last few weeks.........

I was at Kittery Trading Post in ME on the way to hunting camp, a used 3-9 Leupold winked at me and offered itself for $129....Had to have it!

I got an email from Camerland NY. It said "Hey kid, step into this ally I got som'tin for ya....." They showed me the nicest Vortex Viper 4-12X40 with Side Focus for a sale price of $249!.......Gotta have it! In fact I had to have 2.....(I lied, I bought three....but one was for a friend...honest!)

The "Sportsman's Guide" showed up a couple weeks ago. My wife tried to throw it away. But a good Scopeaholic can smell a scope deal at 100yds (150 if it has an AO)....They had Pentax 4-12X40 scopes for $62.97 if you were a Club Member...........What do you think I did. I coulda just walked away, but nooooo...gotta have it..........I orderd one up pronto!

I bought an ATI GSG5 rifle (H&K MP% Lookalike in 22RF) a couple weeks ago. But it didn't have optics. It looked absolutely terrible. I did a search. It led me to Ebay. Some place called "The Global Sportsman". They laid a "4 Reticle Red-Dot Holo Sight" on me .....$44.95! Man, that felt good! Anybody got a cigarette?...........

Last week I picked up a Savage 93R17TR rifles. A little Black Tactical job. Needed optics. A search uncovered something called a Mueller APV in 4-14. Folks on the rimfire forums rave about them. But everyone is backordered until Christmas. But that wouldn't stop me. I googled my fanny off. All work came to a halt. I didn't eat, I didn't sleep for two days. My family worried about me. They called my church Priest. He said you can't help somebody that is a scopeaholic if they don't want help......I finally found one at Optic Planet. But to be sure they really had one in stock, I called the 800 number. A man with a very deep voice said they did indeed have one and they could get it out to me by Monday........MONDAY! I'd have to wait! Couldn't he just bring it over and we'd exchange $$ for scope in the parking lot across the street? We'll be discreet. It's only 1800 miles to their warehouse........I'll drive! But then I might miss another email scope deal........No, just ship it to me......$114 No charge shipping!

And just now I get an email from those dirty bastards to Natchez...You know the folks with the monthly catalog with the undressed scopes all over the cover. I asked them to put mine in a brown wrapper. Don't want the mailman to think I'm some kind of perv.....Anyways, they are talking Simmons scopes for stupid prices and there is a Simmons mail in rebate of 25% off anything over $25.........4-12X40 ProHunter with SF for $79!!!!!! With the "25for25" deal it comes out to $59!!!! I had to have three of these bad boys!

It's a sickness I tell you.......RSAS (Rifle Scope Acquisition Syndrome)...no know cure....(I also have NLAS, Nikon Lens Acquisition Syndrome and MMS, Multiple Motorcycle Syndrome........But that's another story)

Opps.........Gotta go, just got an email from SWFA.............Wait a minute, is that a Midsouth catalog I smell.............

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 PM

Default hilarious!

We have all been there I think. Why dont you go build some amps or speakers or something?? That will take the edge off....lol. Maybe you need to go shoot some eggs with your new scope.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Supporting Member

Seems like you haven't learned your leson on buying cheap junk! I have a friend just like you, doesn't have one good scope, No Leupolds, Nikons, etc. Just a whole lot of optics that I wouldn't waste my money on.

Tom

The only scope you talked about that I really like is the Vortex Viper. I have 2 of the 6.5-20x and I like'm, only thing is when you pay $400+ for the first one and then Vortex starts selling off the same scope for $249 makes a guy kinda wonder!!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Supporting Member

Roy, I feel your pain. I am the same way with components. Cheap and it's mine. Adam
Old 12-03-2010, 09:50 PM

Roy .....since I see you're a true SC ( Scope Connoisseur ) , what do you think are the biggest Bang for the Buck among all these Scopes ? How about three Categories : Fixed high Magnification ( 15X or more ) , Low power Variables ( 16X or lower ) , and High power Variables . TIA.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Supporting Member

Actually I do have a few nice scopes........My BR gun wears a Nightforce (Best piece of glass I ever had!)

I have a Swarovski on my Model 70 Classic in 6.5X55......

Plenty of 6-24 B&L
A couple of Burris Black Diamonds......

But the expensive stuff doesn't get bought on a whim..........It's the On Sale Specials that get the "gotta have it!"

As far as what I've learned in 30 years of scope collecting......

Best 3-9 Variable for the $$......Leupold VX1 or Rifleman
Best RF....(tie) Mueller 4-14 / Weaver V16
Best 4-16 Variable with under 50yd focus range (good for RF) Weaver V16
Best 6-24 Variable (tie) Weaver V24 / B&L Elite4200
Best target scope for the $$...Weaver T36
Best all around big game hunting scope....Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly (3-9 or 5-15)
Best Handgun for Metalic Silouette.....2-6 B&L Elite 3000
Best Handgun Hunting.........Thompson Recoil-Proof, Nikon 2X, Weaver 2X
Best Variable Handgun.......Burris 3-12
Best scope on the planet....Anything by Nightforce

I've had personal experience with all these scopes. Most any scope you can name has passed through my hands in the last 35 years of serious gunism. But these are the scopes that have won my heart......

That's my story and I'm sticking to it

I'd love to hear what others think in the same categories............

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 12-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Administrator

Smile Onliest disagrement...

...would be with the Weaver V-24. Above 20x they loose definition. V-16 is a super scope - have 3 all on rfs.

Favorite scope is the Nikon Monarch 4.5-16 for a walkaround varminter.

Favorite long range scope would be the Leo 6-20/30mm SF with Varmint Reticle.

Otherwise, gotta agree.

Alex
Old 12-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Supporting Member

Roy

Your scopeaholism has produced a very useful fringe benefit. That is a down right useful posting you just put up. For high dollar scopes, Leo, Nighforce, Kahles, Schmidt and Bender, Zeiss it is pretty easy to figure out, which one has the options you are looking for. They cost as much as they do for a reason.

To see the picks from the mid range and lower brackets, from someone who has used them all, and over a long time, is very helpful. I have used lots of 4200 and 3200 Bushnells, and even a 6x24 Weaver, and agree they are very good scopes for the money. Based on your recommendations I am going to give a couple of Muellers and Nikons a try, neither of which have I ever owned before. Thanks for a very useful, and very funny post.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Supporting Member

Your Welcome!

www.rvbprecision.com
Old 12-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Sheez seems like every time I got a Natchez catalog I could kiss $100 - $300 goodbye except in the Spring and then it was $400 - $1000. Took me a while but I finaly got a grip on it..... kind of.