Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Supporting Member

Very good deal on the 204. CZs are a great gun, but as said, they have a lot of crud in the barrel from the factory and you usually need to do a little sanding and glassing to get them to sit free floated well. Tried a variety of cleaners on them, so far Butches Bore shine has been the best at getting all of it out with the least effort. Would not touch the barrel break in comment with a ten foot pole.

Enjoy the new gun.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Would not touch the barrel break in comment with a ten foot pole.
Don't blame ya,,,, heck, I wouldn't touch it with the twenty foot pole that I touch my ten foot pole with.
Just so happens, I had her soaking in a my secret mix of Butches and Kroil all night. Probably have to get my oil change drain pan out to catch the poo that pours out on that first patch. Don't even have a 20cal jag yet, but I'm using a 17cal brush with a 22cal patch wrapped around until I can get some stuff ordered up. Fortunately I have a bore guide for my 527American on hand.

I know what ya'll mean about the bedding and barrel channel. This one shows the typical left side pressure on the for end. Funny thing is, I was just joking with Hal the other day about one of the new FN/M70's I've been looking at having the same issue. I told him that they probably had it stored next to the CZ's for a while.
Not sure what all the grousing about the bedding is though? Are you suggesting that a proper bedding job, should use more than a couple of match head sized bits of epoxy on the corners of the recoil lug?

OK, enough of that,, the sun's not up yet so I'll keep my yap shut untill it comes up and I can get some pix up.

Thanks guys.
Charlie
Old 12-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Supporting Member

I plan to shoot the 39BK's. Have eight pounds of Benchmark and four pounds of N140 on hand to start with. If those powders don't work out I'll try something else, but one time in my life I'd sure appreciate it if just two of my rifles would agree on powder.
Probably never happen though.
Charlie[/quote]

Charlie,

If you don't get satisfactory performance with the above mentioned powders, I have had wonderful results using IMR 8208XMR in the 204R, 17 Rem. and 222mag. My second choice for the 204R would be RL10X. I have a lot of idle cans of powder sitting on the shelf since I started using 8208

Aaron
Old 12-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Default Hey Charlie!

Long time, no hear. Hope you are doing ok down there by the river! Congrats on the .204 purchase. I have had one for several years now and really enjoy it. I must warn you about the recoil; it is MUCH stiffer than a .17! I have had good luck in mine with the benchmark. I could never get mine to shoot the 39 grainers, but mine is a Remmy. I have had very good luck with the 32 grain Sierras. Have fun with your new "tool". Tyler Z.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:21 PM

Oh! no! Charlie!! Now you've gone and done it. What in this world is that "beloved" 17 going to think? The old tried and trued being usurped by that 20 something. I certainly would want to be hanging around at your place about now.

You are going to love that 204. If you have any H4895 laying around, it also seems to work real well behind 35gr. Berger's.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K22 View Post
Oh! no! Charlie!! Now you've gone and done it. What in this world is that "beloved" 17 going to think? The old tried and trued being usurped by that 20 something.
She don't have to worry much. The 204 won't get to far from the truck.
My "Beloved" still is and always will be numero uno for walk abouts.

This dang 20cal better be all that it's cracked up to be. Seems like every time I turn around I'm needing another 20cal specific gadget. Why, just this morning I woke up in a cold sweat at 0330 realizing I hadn't ordered a 20cal funnel. Add to that the trauma I suffered while spending a whole day on dial up looking for some Warn rings and a set of my favorite Forster dies (which I still can't find) and it's no wonder I can't sleep.

Now, where did I leave that dang credit card?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:48 PM

Thats whats crazy about a new caliber, gotta get all the goodies to load it. I had a CZ527 Varmint n 204 and it shot awesome. Kinda regret selling it to my bnlaw. Since my 204 whem, I now have 3 of them.
You will like what you got.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Default specific funnel

I remember that same issue. As it turned out, my good old standby red adjustable funnel set had one of the inserts that worked. I think I maybe drilled out the insert for the .17 calibers? It worked as I had already bought one of the good spun aluminum .17 funnels from Sinclair. Do you have one of those old plastic funnel sets lying about you could try?