Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Default 17 Fireball's first shots on paper

First three shots on a target at 100 yards, outside to outside is right at 1 inch. This is with factory Rem. 20 grain Accutips, the conditions here are not very good for shooting groups this morning so I think it shows promiss. The factory loads are cratering the primers. Any suggestions on loads? I have some 20 grain Vmax and 25 grain match Bergers.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 PM

I did this with 19.2 grains of H335, Federal match primer and a 20 grain Dogtown bullet.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Administrator

mine likes 25 berger Match HP's...a lot! I like IMR 8208XBR, H322, and N133 in that order. Watch it it...work up your loads in tenth of a grain increments. A tenth makes a big difference in that small case, or so I've found.

Mine will do 1 1/2" at 300 yards. I liked H322 best, but was showing pressures at max loads. I found 8208 slightly faster and no pressure signs with almost as good accuracy.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Supporting Member

Nivce group for the first three out of the gun. If the new gun is a Remington, the cratering is more likely the result of too large a firing pin hiole, rahter than over pressure. My last two Remingtons needed to be bushed for that reason. Take a 10X loupe and you can see it pretty clear, it also likely is chamfered and this causes cratering too.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:31 PM

Default Furball.

Both of mine HATED the factory twenty grain ammo. Since I have switched to Nagel 25gr. bullets and tuned my seating depth.....amazing things happened. I think you will be impressed with it once you start loading for it. Good luck!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:19 AM

Dean2- yes it is a Rem. Thanks for the heads up on the firing pin hole, I will look into it. Shot 12 rounds through it tonight and the barrel came clean with three patches. First was black, secound was grey and third was clean. It is soaking now just to be sure, but so far it looks like the barrel will not be an easy fouler.