Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Supporting Member

Default 17 Fireball Owners

I am curious if anyone here is running the stock SPS or VSF Fireballs? I am just curious how they are shooting. Any complaints or praise?
Old 11-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Supporting Member

I have the SPS with a 26" barrel . I changed out the stock for a HS precision and had the trigger done.

Shoots like a dream.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 AM
Supporting Member

Does that factory chamber match the ammo? Is the chamber neck oversized ie. loaded round= .201 chamber= .210?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:45 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_bentley View Post
Does that factory chamber match the ammo? Is the chamber neck oversized ie. loaded round= .201 chamber= .210?
I did a cast of the chamber I'll dig it up again and measure it.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:00 AM

Angry

I have an SPS that's a headache. Accuracy was off and on from the start, tried all sorts of workup loads, bullets, etc., and now to cap it off, I made myself a modified cartridge for a Stoney Point gauge and find that the bullets are out of the case by nearly a half inch before they touch the rifling. Contacted Remington and they tell me that they allow some freebore on these guns and that I can send it in to be checked if I wish. Debating right now whether to do that or wrap it around a tree!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:22 AM
Supporting Member

I bought one of the early ones and the throat is short. The bullet barely reads longer than the brass.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:49 AM
Supporting Member

I bought an SPS in sporter weight when they first came out and I immediately stuck it into an H-S Precision stock and it has been an excellent shooter from day 1.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-29-2009, 04:14 AM

I have a plain Jane SPS with original stock. If I do my part it shoots touching holes and it sure wacks the hell out of a PD.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:24 AM

I bought a used SPS Varmint 26" heavy barrel .17 fireball a month or two ago. I tossed the factory tupperware and dropped the action into a Boyds heavy varmint laminate stock.

I've only had it to the range once, shooting starting loads of TAC pushing 20 gr Hornady's to sight in my scope and do some basic groups for fun.

Not taking my time with the loads or my shooting, I was able to hold about a .75 inch group.

I am a very average rifle shot.

With carefully crafted loads and more care at the bench in the future, I have reason to believe my rifle will be a good shooter.

--Duck911
Old 11-29-2009, 12:28 PM

Default Sps

I bought an early SPS. The first one had a serious headspace issue and was returned to Remington. To their credit they kept it and sent me a brand new rifle. Naturally I had to start over on the load development, but now with it in a Remington Laminate stock it shoots awesome. My Dad was out a couple weeks ago and shot a sub one inch five shot group with it. This was at 200 yards and in the wind. Used Nagel 25gr bullets. I am very happy with mine. I kept that target it was so impressive. Dad was upset as he said he "pulled" one.....