Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-18-2009, 09:42 PM

Default Velocity ? 300 fps, does it really matter?

Hey guys. I know I'm new and probably asking annoying new guy ?'s. So here goes another.

Does 300 fps make much of a difference? If so, where does it show up in terminal performance and trajectory?

I read earlier the sticky about loads being safe in some rifles and not others. I am new to the world of .17 centrefires and am learning up on re-loading for them. I have found alot of the Hogdon loads from their website and found myself seeing starting loads usualy sit about 300 fps give or take from max loads. To my mind it begs the ?, does 300 fps make that big a deal?

25 gr. Berger match at 3800 fps vs. 4100fps. What are the gains going faster?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Supporting Member

If I might make a suggestion try going here and down loading "Point Blank", it's a free ballistics program and works quite well.

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?...=article&sid=3

Since I started using ballistics programs it's amazing how simple it is to load in your data, get the results and then change velocity only a hundred feet at a time and see exactly how much change there is. Often it is "much ado about nothing".
On the otherhand 300FPS might make a fairly significant difference but the program will tell you how far out that actually might happen. If that happens to be farther than you shoot it is again "much ado about nothing". Regardless it's always safety first even if a particular barrel and chamber doesn't get the number the book says or the individual thinks he wants/needs . Probably gonna need a chrono if ya don't have one already.
By the way, there are no dumb newbie questions. Every guy on this site was a newbie at some point, it'd be pretty boring if no one ever asked any questions and us old farts didn't get to show off our incredible knowledge . Little joke there Heh-Heh-Heh .
Old 12-18-2009, 10:30 PM

Default drop tables

If you check the drop tables you will be amazed at the very little difference out to a reasonable distance. I used to be all wound up about a couple hundred feet, but now just search for the accuracy nodes. As a great guy on another board often says "You can't miss em fast enough". Just work up to you max load (in your rifle) and then back off to your last highest accuracy node. This should be the best load for your rifle. Keep in mind you will be using thin jacket varmint bullets on really small critters. Three hundred FPS wont be noticeable in most cases. Now if you are going for Woodchucks at extended distances, then it might matter........But usually no.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:37 PM

It be coyotes, jacks, crow sniping 300 yards and in. I was shooting my .22-250 at 220 yards in the field to check zero (before I sold it). Jeez, after I paced it off I'd of swore it was closer to 300 yards than 200. I have a feeling alot of internet 300 yard shots are likely closer to 200.
This loading would be for a .17 Remington.
Thanks for the advice so far guys.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:46 AM

Default 300 fps

I agree in that velocity is secondary, I have a friend that says he doesn't see how you can reload without the use of a chronograph. Well I have been doing it for about 40 years, and I still don't own one. I think we all go through the thing about getting that last few fps out of a cartridge. Just my opinion.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:52 AM
Supporting Member

Per Bill Jordan, "Speeds Fine, but Accuracy is Final".
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 12-19-2009, 03:57 AM

with the smaller .17's i have noticed a difference in killing power and max effective range on coyotes. but i have never tried the big case .17's. with coyotes not making me the money they used too, it may be a year before i get to try one.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:53 PM

Default chronographs.

There was mention above about chronographs. I have one of the small CED ones and it is awesome. I believe they are a very useful tool in your final load tweaking. With a chronograph, there is no guesswork on your bullet speed. I switched powder lots in my .17 Remington once and was loading over my chrono. The new lot of powder was quite a bit faster and I could tell it with the chrono. I was getting hard bolt lift and cratered primers, but no increase in bullet speed. I dropped four tenths of a grain without losing velocity and hit my accuracy node again. It was clearly evident that without the chronograph I would not have known what was going on speed wise. I documented everything with notes, and I wouldnt have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes. Obviously running right up against the wall did not gain me a thing and I lost all my accuracy. Good luck on that .17!! They are a hoot to shoot.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:12 PM

I know they are a hoot to shoot. .17 Rems are my only centrefire now.

Once I get my sizing die fixed, I will be loading from start up in .2 increments. I figure load 3 at each step and shoot at 150 yards and measure groups as I make scope adjustments after every 3 shots. I did load 6 at .5 below max and after reading that sticky post realized that it just wasn't a good idea to start there. Just picked up a digital vernier this weekend.
Also, I have a chrony 'archery master'. Wonder if it will read over 3000 fps vs. the 300 it usually does.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Supporting Member

Default chrony

Hey Tyler was that over the first Chrony before you shot it, or the second one.