Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-24-2010, 01:34 AM

Default Why is it barrel companies will not rebore barrels?

If I bought a fluted stainless Rem 17 Fireball, it sure would be nice if instead of my having to dump that $475 factory barrel for chump change, I could have it rebored to a 20 cal.

There must be a reason for why barrel companies will not try to rebore a barrel. (??)
Old 03-24-2010, 01:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to 17 Hunter

.17 sporter barrels are very narrow to start with, wouldn't a 20 be slightly larger?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
If I bought a fluted stainless Rem 17 Fireball, it sure would be nice if instead of my having to dump that $475 factory barrel for chump change, I could have it rebored to a 20 cal.

There must be a reason for why barrel companies will not try to rebore a barrel. (??)

because you can't make chicken salad out of chicken.shit

factory barrels are produced for about $25 each (volume , with little QC)

why would Kreiger, Shilen, HART, Lilja, Bartlein, Douglas , etc... , etc.... put their name on a inferior , poor product ???

sell the factory barrel for $100 and invest in a stainless , match , benchrest quality barrel

IMO, re-boring a factory tube is pizzing money away

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 03-24-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:06 AM

Default Reboring

If it was as great as some folks like you to believe you would see rebored barrels in Bench rest. Does that give you a clue?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:19 AM

Default There is a company that will do it...

I called them and they explained to me that you will lose some barrell lenght and it costs almost as much as a premium barrel.
Good idea just not cost effective.
Matt
Old 03-24-2010, 03:05 AM

The good barrelmakers are plenty busy enough as is. Look at the wait for a new barrel. I don't know how many people are reboring now. Maybe it's different today and more people are doing it. Mine was done in '98 and at that time it was real hard finding anyone. I got hold of Cliff LaBounty and he took a .243 with a ruined bore to .257......he does superb work and what came back was a beautiful cut rifled match quality bore. It took about 6 months or so and cost - if memory serves - was something like $190.....that's 12yrs ago when a new blank was maybe 225-$250. Someone who's really good is kept pretty busy with high dollar rifles......tricky to do doubles and classics. They'll set up for one caliber, do those and go on to the next. Yours gets done when it's time comes. When mine was done you couldn't take a barrel out and have it rebored just like that. It took awhile and it wasn't a big money saver. You have a lot more money invested and still have only one barrel.

Last edited by Ackman; 03-24-2010 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:45 AM
Supporting Member

Plus someone will buy the old one, that 17FB @ 26" will make someone a nice 24" 17AH starter. Ask 75$ buck it and throw it on GB or the classifieds. That makes the 275$ Pac Nor 200$. Adam
Old 03-24-2010, 04:34 AM
Supporting Member

What Blake said.... +

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 AM

Ok thanks. I got the message that it's not an accepted process.

I'm not sure I entirely understand correlating it to "chicken shit". Why would cutting a entirely new 20 cal bore through a 17 bored barrel be any different then cutting a 20 caliber bore through a blank barrel ?. You're removing all the inner metal and making a fresh new bore, so none of the old bore exists at all. Right? And the barrel maker will not be responsible for the existing chamber or threads, no different then he would be responsible for the chamber or threads with any other barrel he supplies to you. (That's the gunsmiths job).

But.....I do understand that it would be a different machine set-up process, and that a quality name barrel maker would not want to put his name on somebody elses barrel.

Dave,
I've been told that Cliff LaBounty sold his equipment to Delta GunShop in ClearWater, Washington. Butch Lambert says they do really good work. However, they work on 22 cal and on up. So, I wouldn't even be able to consider them.

Some of you guys would be surprised how much I would likely get for a new and unfired Remington fluted SS 17Fireball. Want to bet $250 for starters? I just finished selling a used fluted DPMS 308 for $259 . (Some of you guys ain't paying attenion when I say that fluting really makes a $ difference)

Thanks, for the info gents. I'll just put the $250 to a new one.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default check it out for youself.

http://www.cutrifle.com/reboring.html