Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-27-2016, 12:23 PM
Supporting Member

Default Does anybody know anything about the .223 Short?

I like small cartridges that I can make from available brass and I came across this .223 Short cartridge. This is a URL to the site that explains the round; http://223short.com/
I e-mailed the person that posted the info about what die set they may have used or modified to form the cases.

I know there are other small 22 caliber cartridges available but since this is made using brass that I have in large quantities it would easy for me to make. I already have a smaller cartridge that would be the equal or better than the 22 TCM. I was hoping that maybe somebody here might be familiar with the .223 Short cartridge and could pass on some info.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:09 PM

Default Dies anybody know anything about the 223 short ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22_boomer View Post
I like small cartridges that I can make from available brass and I came across this .223 Short cartridge. This is a URL to the site that explains the round; http://223short.com/
I e-mailed the person that posted the info about what die set they may have used or modified to form the cases.

I know there are other small 22 caliber cartridges available but since this is made using brass that I have in large quantities it would easy for me to make. I already have a smaller cartridge that would be the equal or better than the 22 TCM. I was hoping that maybe somebody here might be familiar with the .223 Short cartridge and could pass on some info.
Just as easy and more common any more is the 20 VarTarg. Why not just go with it ? Other than 20 caliber, it would shoot right alongside or even better the short. If you want a short 223 caliber, then just stay with the 221 Fireball. Just my thought. Bill k
Old 07-27-2016, 01:19 PM

If its the same Larry trotter we have here I'm sure he will chime in. The article states he was one of the developers. Looks interesting and cheaper then fireball brass. Although if you have to neck turn and anneal cases I'm not sure that it's that much easier then resizing 223 to 221 fireball.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 07-27-2016, 01:46 PM
Supporting Member

I more or less came up with the same thing. Only differences were the OAL of 1.200 and being necked down to 20 caliber (20 VT "short")
One pass to form just doesn't get it. I had issues with the case rim being distorted to the point that the primer was too far away from the firing pin. Lots of FTF when starting out. Once fired and the primer pocket pushed back out, the brass works out pretty good.

On the other hand, the 22 TCM is ready made but shy of the OAL of the .223 Short. (1.025) MUCH better brass from the factory. I guess I was re inventing the wheel??
Working on a necked down to 20 22 TCM and maybe even the 17 TCM.
You'll never know how something works till you try it for yourself.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Board Sponsor

You can also go with my little .22 Reed Express wildcat we have it available in .22, ..20, 17, and .14. Dies on the shelf. It is based on the 7.62x25 case and only requires sizing, no reaming. I do recommend annealing the brass as it makes forming easier and case life much longer.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 07-27-2016, 03:26 PM

I made the first reamer up for testing. It was first shot on a Savage action, with a straight GM blank. Later they had a proper reamer ground and I chambered a Remington takeoff barrel with it and threaded it for a Savage. It is an interesting and long running project. This is a picture of one of the original dummies I used to make up the reamer sitting next to a loaded 22TCM round. Larry

Old 07-27-2016, 04:14 PM
Supporting Member

Larry

What is the maximum overall usable length of the 22 TCM magazine?

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 07-27-2016, 04:34 PM

I am using 1.280 for the OAL and it feeds fine. Larry
Old 07-27-2016, 04:45 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
You can also go with my little .22 Reed Express wildcat we have it available in .22, ..20, 17, and .14. Dies on the shelf. It is based on the 7.62x25 case and only requires sizing, no reaming. I do recommend annealing the brass as it makes forming easier and case life much longer.
Ron,
I've got the 22 Reed Express and love it. It's a nice little cartridge that can really go fast. If you remember, years ago, I had an AR-15 with a 16" barrel made for the round and I can get 3200fps out of it using 30gr Barnes bullets. I had always hoped you would get back to making the 22RE brass. I also did the 17 Reed Express in an AR and it shoots super accuarate.

This .223 Short project is an info gathering thing to see if I want to add a slightly longer cartridge to my rifle group.

Boomer
Old 07-27-2016, 04:49 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
I made the first reamer up for testing. It was first shot on a Savage action, with a straight GM blank. Later they had a proper reamer ground and I chambered a Remington takeoff barrel with it and threaded it for a Savage. It is an interesting and long running project. This is a picture of one of the original dummies I used to make up the reamer sitting next to a loaded 22TCM round. Larry

My big question is what dies were used to form the .223 Short. The web sight said that PTG made the finish reamer but there was no mention of what die set was used and I wondered if it was just a modified die set for the shorter case?

Thanks for any info,
Boomer