Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-22-2018, 03:48 PM

Default CCI 17 HR ammo

So far I have found that the Hornady lead free is doing the best, accuracy and damage to critters wise, than the other brands and types I have tried. I do shoot the lead Hornady and it is close. These all show around 2500-2600, which is fine.
This new CCI (Yellow tipped) says it will run 100 fps faster than any other 17 HMR. I just want to try it and see if it does, plus is it anymore accurate.
Always playing around, as most of us do, with our toys. , Bill K
Old 09-22-2018, 04:02 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Same here on the Hornady ammo. It likes the XTP an TNT also. But likes the V max the best. Killed a bunch of crow with that stuff!
Old 09-23-2018, 12:03 AM

Shot some of this and a few others back when I got my A17 rifle. It did not group the best. Out of the four different types of ammo I shot it was the worst. I tried the four kinds of ammo with all three guns, a savage bolt, a marlin bolt and the A17. Hornady Vmax was the best. A17 was next. I do not consider my testing to have proved much though. In the past I have had other shells that shot a better group when testing. I believe its all about lot numbers. The Hornady vmax was a good lot, I went back to cabelas and bought more of it as well as some of the same A17. I did buy a box of A17 when it first came out and it shot poor groups in the marlin and savage bolts. And in the past I have had poor shooting Hornady vmax. Every gun is different and every lot is different.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:12 AM
Banned

Default Ammo

Amen brother!!!
Old 09-23-2018, 12:19 AM

Default CCI 17 HMR ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
Amen brother!!!
Part of it is just the nature of the rimfires, but they are still a hoot to plink and hunt with. Bill K
( but just think over all these years how much game, large and small as been hunting and taken with them, for food and all )
Old 09-23-2018, 02:37 AM

The first batch of Hornady HMR stuff (back in 2002) was supposed to be 2550fps, but in my Marlin 17V I got 2625 out of it. The new A17 ammo shoots about the same in that old Marlin, which is still plugging along nicely for me.
I don't shoot it as much as I should, I mainly used it for prairie dogs, and my PD trips out to SD have petered out, so it mostly just molders away in the back of the safe. Here in Kentucky, I mostly use .22LR for my needs (pesky raccoons and such). I like the HMR, I just don't much of a chance to use it these days.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:18 AM

Default CCI 17 HMR ammo

Why don't you use it on the raccoons and such ? Does it tear up the pelts to much as compared to the 22lr ? Just curious. Bill K
Old 09-23-2018, 12:48 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Some of the stuff I've read in Fur fish game my favorite hunting mag. Most fur hunters prefer the 17 HMR for coon! I find my self grabbing the HMR more and more when I'm calling for fox coon!
Old 09-23-2018, 01:50 PM
Supporting Member

My son and I found out that we get more coons running off with the HMR. But the ones that don’t have only a tiny pin hole many times with only a drop of blood.

But we are also calling to a fight so they come in all amped up and the ones that we had problems with are normally when they come in 3 or 4 at a time and after shooting the first one or two the next is running away from us. The 22 mag has proven itself to be way better for us in that situation.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Burt:

I have a question about your post.
By Brick, do you mean 10 boxes/500rnds?

OR did you mean: 50rnd box for $10?

Thanks, just curious, but IF you do get 'em 500rnds for $10, I'd
buy $100 damned quick. Then go looking for a gun to shoot 'em in.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"