Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 12-28-2017, 05:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

got a big doe tonight with my 6br pistol, 165 yards. she ran about 75 yards up hill and went down. there were 5 does that walked out and I just picked the biggest one and shot. no picture but I think I got video of the hunt.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:15 AM
Supporting Member

Curious where she was shot, they normally go downhill if they know they have been hurt, from my experience.

Nothing better than a handgun killed deer, besides an arrow. Congrats
Old 12-29-2017, 01:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

she was hit where the lungs junction just behind the shoulder behind and up from the heart. like you I have always been told mortally wounded animals don't run up hill. this is the fourth one that has done just that. sure is easier to drag down hill as opposed to up hill.
quarter sized hole in and a half dollar out. video did not work so no video of the kill.

Last edited by foxhunter; 01-05-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:48 PM
Supporting Member

Thank you very much, always interesting to learn from others, especially those of us that only get one deer tag a year don't see as many opportunities to learn from. I clipped the top of a buck this year my son and I had stalked and it was sneaking up a draw, on my shot it rared slightly and went due left and down vs up. Michael proclaimed I missed it, I said I had to have hurt it. Brother in law put him down soon after I shot, and I did draw non fatal blood.
Thank you
Old 01-03-2018, 01:46 AM
Supporting Member

Default Gas checks

I haven't tried the gas checks yet. But it's a good thought. Of course that's what I said when one of my buddies told me to try hard cast lead. If I were to be totally honest, I don't suppose I have any real issue with accuracy in my .41 mag that a pair of 20-year younger eyes wouldn't take care of! Still, I've got the bullets, probably ought to try the gas checks.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:06 PM

Default Nice job!

Seems to me they made some non-fluted cylinder Smiths.Nice picture and great shooting,you should be proud of that shot,I was out the other day with my 657 shooting at 50 yards,lets just say my skills need polishing
Matt
Old 01-15-2018, 05:13 PM
Supporting Member

Default 657

Yes, this is a 657-2, un-fluted cylinder, full lug. Little heavy, but I would have about sold my eye teeth to have had this in my hand instead of the HK USPC in .45 when I came across mama grizzly and her two cubs at about 25 yards. Fortunately, we didn't try each other - just had a 40 minute stand-off (I retreated for 20 minutes, but she was still there. Gave it another 20 minutes and she was gone. Next three miles had 17 stream crossings. Laying in my sleeping bag that night, I realized that I had zero memory of ANY stream crossings on that hike. Son-in-law was over my shoulder with bear spray back-up.) Weight is not much worse than the 57 in nickel I sold to fund this one, and I do shoot better with this one. Handgunning brings back the adrenalin rush.