Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-14-2017, 04:48 PM

If it was mine, I would not like the canting of the bolt due to interference of the extractor to the barrel face. A lot of guys spend a lot of time attempting to keep the bolt face square to the bore line, with some amount of rigidity. A bit hard to understand if the bolt nose moves on closing/opening from the line of the rear of the bolt/boreline. A long shot is that the barrel has been removed/replaced somewhere along the line, and is slightly mis-timed to TDC.

If the extractor cams the front of said bolt upwards, I would read that as the mechanical interface between the two parts of the bolt to have some tolerance in sizing along both axis. I am guessing that bolt tightening may involve an oversized pin and corresponding hole, machining of the two interfacing surfaces square, and/or shims...........perhaps all of the above, just a guess on my part. The distance of the bolt nose to the barrel face has to be kept in mind. The bolt pieces can be tightened up, but still has to be able to move as designed, so some small tradeoffs are probably in the attempt.

I am in the group that thinks rim headspacing of a hornet case is a mute point when the case contains a large shoulder to index on. I guess I come to that conclusion from being a handloader, rather than buying factory ammo.

as usual, FWIW.

Last edited by rick w.; 05-14-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:02 PM
Supporting Member

Wally,
CPC is Connecticut Precision Chambering. They have a detailed procedure on their web site as to how they tighten the tolerance between the bolt halves.

I am of the opinion that the extractor interference is a contributing factor. I compared it to another rifle and the interference is quite obvious.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Along this same line, is not one of the issues that has plaqued the hornet case, for years, been the variance in the different brands rim size ? Which is one of the causes for the headspace clearance in the chambers, from brand to brand ? Bill K

I have all three main brand cases R&P Winchester and RWS and on every case the thickest rim was 0.061" thats why i did the mods on my bolt before that i had a few cases separate and on inspection quite a few with the dreaded grove on the inside but since then i have not had any issues and i dont disagree with what you are saying but that is what i found and corrected ON MY GUN i have no way of measuring the head/rim space on my gun so played with it till it was sorted
Old 05-14-2017, 11:43 PM

Default Ruger 17 AH

When I had the 17 AH, I just neck sized all my case's regardless of the brand, after firing them in my chamber, so they all were in contact with the bolt face and the shoulder, and after the first firing this allowed them all too fit that chamber and I never had a case separate or related issues, as so many talk about. Just my thought and experience. Bill K
Old 05-16-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post
Wally,
CPC is Connecticut Precision Chambering. They have a detailed procedure on their web site as to how they tighten the tolerance between the bolt halves.

I am of the opinion that the extractor interference is a contributing factor. I compared it to another rifle and the interference is quite obvious.

I fitted a shim in between my two half,s tightened up a treat i now have no head/rim space and by 0nly re-sizing the neck by the same amount that the head goes in to it i have perfect fit in chamber
Old 05-16-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visiter1 View Post
i have a custom 17hh thats was shooting sub moa at 100 yards mostly in the same hole , then last week it just started shooting flyers , tried everythng until last night i took out the front action screw and retighentend it , went a full turn in more and now its back to normall hope this helps
If not bedded top and bottom in steel or aluminum, there is room for wood compression over time.

Even glassed top and bottom is not impervious to wood compression.

Before aluminum pillars or aluminum action beds, we had to re-bed our match rifles every few years as they'd go sour over time. Re-tightening works if the compression is the same rear guard screw and front one- usually not possible due to varying wood densities and thicknesses of wood. The front guard screw is usually tighter and has less wood between it and the bottom metal, thus more compression which can make front and rear uneven and bend the action upon tightening.

Last edited by Daryl; 05-16-2017 at 10:51 PM.