Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 AM
Supporting Member

Default selling is tough

i sell every day for a living and it is very hard when you have more than one buyer, i try to give the first person that has asked about an item and committed himself to try and buy it the first chance to buy it ,i often times have the second buyer to say,just sell it to me i will pay full price, and that is hard to turn down but first interest is first interest and if i just sold to the second buyer i would feel as if the first buyer was overlooked.it is just my way of feeling i did not neglect someone for the sake of money,money is hard earned and most people want to talk about an item before they buy so they know all the particulars before the sale,and then they are satisfied after the sale.happy buyers after they just gave their money to you is a GOOD thing. good luck to buyers and sellers here. jm
Old 03-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Supporting Member

Default For sale or not??

When I post an item for sale I also post First time stamped I'll Take it gets it. It is only fair to the buyer and seller to accept seller's listed price or terms. Otherwise that buyer should not post anything and work his deal or chisel the seller then post I'll take it as per pm. If another buyer posts I'll take it for original price the seller should sell to first posted I'll Take it!! Black and White!!

Wagger the idea of an open forum with items for sale is great. In my opinon it more about fair marketing than "getting an item sold"

As you know I have missed three of the last items on this site because the seller and buyer are working a deal when I posted I'll take it for the listed price. Doesn't that make a better deal for the seller??? No haggling! If an item is listed and you want to chance a pm or low ball offer what buyer risks is another buyer with deeper pockets accepting the deal for what the seller oriinally thought item was worth.

I posted on a scope last week I'll Take it within minutes of the listing. The seller never contacted me but posted two days later SPF. I had e-mailed him and PMed him. He informed me he sold it to an e-mail buyer?? Sorry I posted I'll Take it before anyone e-mailed him. Is it right for me to have to wait three days for an answer when I thought I was the winner??

I am not crying, but I wish sellers would follow some guide lines. First bidder/I'll Take It should have first rights.

BHB
Old 03-08-2011, 02:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

definition of a good deal, when the buyer and the seller are both happy.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighornbob View Post
It is only fair to the buyer and seller to accept seller's listed price or terms. BHB
I've been buying here and other places for more than a few years. Why is it only fair to pay the asking price? Many times I've seen items placed up for sale that I feel are high so I make an offer. Now you consider that "low balling" when I feel that its being fair. As far as someone else getting to the seller by another means before they see your "I'll take it" that's luck of the draw and nothing personal.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 AM

99% of the time I PM the seller and ask if the item is still available, and to ask any questions I may have.

It is up to the buyer and the seller to come to an agreement on the sale. I just have a hard time commiting to buy without contacting the seller and making arrangements first.

My situation is a little different being in Alaska. Usually I have to confirm that the seller is willing to ship here, some folks discriminate against us non lower 48 types. As if shipping to AK is any different than shipping coast to coast, usually it is an extra couple bucks.

My biggest pet peve is if someone posts "payment by x x or PP +4%" man if I am buying from you I sure as heck am not paying your PP fees. I will split no problem, but when someone demands PP or FFL fees on THIER end I am done looking.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:35 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken158 View Post
Posting a "I'll take it" locks you in without the opportunity to negotiate price or maybe make a trade - which is best done in private.
If you want to negotiate or trade, say so online or in a PM..... Don't post an "I'll take it" and then try to lock up a better deal "in private". In the meantime, a seller might turn down several other legitimate "I'll take it" offers while you're still kicking tires as was your real intention all along.

Also, being honest about your intentions online or in a PM definitely might get you a better deal. However, if you tell me "I'll take it"' and then try to negotiate or trade, I'll probably tell you to pound sand even if I never sell the item.

I try to always post the following on something I have for sale:

Please respond by PM here. This [item description] is listed on several web sites, so the earliest time stamped PM that says "I'll take it" wins the quick draw contest... .

Certified Check or Money Order only - No personal checks... Please leave contact information to arrange for payment and shipping in your PM.

Not too long ago on another forum a guy told me he didn't have time to get certified funds, so I would just have to accept a personal check. I'm not laying awake at night wondering if he's found time to buy somewhere else the same item he tried to tell me what HIS conditions for buying it were.

After wishing him good luck by PM in his search to find another one, I sold it 5 minutes later to the second guy (by time stamp) who had told me "I'll take it" on a totally different forum.

A seller has the right to sell under his conditions and not conditions made up by a buyer...

And as soon as possible after something sells, I hit all the sites where it is posted and mark it sold. Sometimes that might take some reasonable time to accomplish it, but I get it done as soon as I can to be fair to potential buyers.

Selling and buying on the internet is a two way street. But the seller controls the terms of sale, IMO.

Several years ago I sold some FN FAL items; a couple of barrels and some gas regulator parts. I received three PM's at the web site within five minutes. Mr. #4 in line that came in a few minutes later posted about an hour later after I had quickly marked the items sold on line that he had responded immediately and he'd been screwed because "there was no way the items could have sold faster than he had PM'ed me". Within 30 minutes a coupe of folks - who were maybe his two best friends, I have no idea who they were - posted that I wasn't playing fair...

So I did something I'd normally not do to prevent a potential pissing match over who should get the items; I blocked out names and cut an pasted the PM's with time stamps on line for all to see with an explanation of which PM note belonged to the complainer....

The next day he had deleted his "I've been screwed" post so I deleted the cut and paste response. That day I also received a PM from a forum moderator who thanked me for handling the situation myself. He said he got tired of refereeing for unhappy second place, or worse, finishers.

Conversely, if I'm the buyer, I'm going to comply to the "T" with any specific instructions the seller might have. It's his item to sell as he wants. If he wants a hand written note from my wife saying "I'll take it" placed in a pickle jar on the courthouse steps by 6 AM the next morning, I'll try to comply if I want the item because he's the seller and I want what he's selling. If I choose for whatever reason/s not to comply by his instructions, I naturally should expect to not be the buyer... Pretty simple deduction...

If he leaves no instructions, I'll post an "I'll take it" on the thread and immediately PM him also with an "I'll take it". Then if I don't get the item, even if I think I posted immediately as instructed, that's life on the internet.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 03-08-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added additional information...........seller and buyer...
Old 03-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Supporting Member

Well I have missed a LOT of deals on here.......something to do with the time difference I think.

But I do get lucky ever so often. But I do get a wee bit annoyed when I do mange to get in with a "i'll take it" and the seller says you've got it then the deal just never comes through......no explanation dosn't say anything............this has happened more than twice.

To me if its sold before I respond then what does it matter......another deal will come along........and I'll miss that too most likely.......but I will carry on living.......Kiwi
Old 03-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up This is a great thread...

Quote:
I posted on a scope last week I'll Take it within minutes of the listing. The seller never contacted me but posted two days later SPF. I had e-mailed him and PMed him. He informed me he sold it to an e-mail buyer?? Sorry I posted I'll Take it before anyone e-mailed him. Is it right for me to have to wait three days for an answer when I thought I was the winner??
BHB
In that case I'd be upset too, BHB.

Great bunch of posts here and some differing of opinion but for the most part seems the "1st I'll Take It" wins... No matter the source.

This may be redundant, but here is my 2 cents...
Way I look at and the only way to be fair in my opinion is the first "I'll take it" gets it. - PERIOD! - Does not matter if it’s a Thread Post, PM, EMail or Snail Mail for that matter. And “I'll Take It” implies that the buyer will purchase at sellers advertised price. NO darn haggling after the "I'll Take It" as long as the item for sale is as advertised.

Now sometimes doo-doo happens and seller may decree "SOLD" before he has looked at all his mail (bad seller). Now the seller is in a moral dilemma. Does he sell to the guy that he already said he would sell to or does he sell to guy that originally had the first time stamp "I'll Take It"? Personally in this instance I would end up selling item to the "1st I'll Take It" and do my apologies’ to the poor guy I made the mistake with. He may be upset and a little pissed, but these kinds of things do happen in the dealings of men.

Larry

P.S.
Personally this thread has givin me some guidelines that normally I don’t think I would have considered on my own and hopefully others reading this will try to be a little fairer and/or understanding in our dealings with each other. After all it is just us guys, nobody is looking over our shoulders making us do a darn thing. It comes down to treat each other as we would want to be treated. Sounds familiar some how, Hmmm….
Old 03-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Supporting Member

I go by time stamp, first legit "I want to buy it" email/pm/post, etc gets it. If someone sends me an email/pm/post requesting more pixes or info, they are not entitled to any first rights.
I think we all have lost out on a great deal at one time or another, that's the nature of the forums.... My only pet peeve is guys that question the cost of something. I usually try to sell it for exactly the price i bought it for, less, of course, if the rifle has been fired, even if its been fired 3 times.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
When I post an item for sale I also post First time stamped I'll Take it gets it. It is only fair to the buyer and seller to accept seller's listed price or terms. Otherwise that buyer should not post anything and work his deal or chisel the seller then post I'll take it as per pm. If another buyer posts I'll take it for original price the seller should sell to first posted I'll Take it!! Black and White!!
I couldn't agree more...... If you as the seller don't specify where to respond, whether online or by PM, the first time stamp "I'll take it" online or by PM should be the buyer.

Quote:
As you know I have missed three of the last items on this site because the seller and buyer are working a deal when I posted I'll take it for the listed price.
I didn't know that.....

Still, its the seller's choice to negotiate if he wants to with the first person who contacts him. I wouldn't do that, but I'm not the seller in that situation.

I would tell the tire kicker we can talk and negotiate if the item is still for sale later today or whatever - and I'd give him a specific time when we could negotiate - but if someone else says "I'll Take It" before then, he loses...

Quote:
I posted on a scope last week I'll Take it within minutes of the listing. The seller never contacted me but posted two days later SPF. I had e-mailed him and PMed him. He informed me he sold it to an e-mail buyer?? Sorry I posted I'll Take it before anyone e-mailed him.
How do you know that your last sentence is correct...?

Quote:
Is it right for me to have to wait three days for an answer when I thought I was the winner??
No it is not. The seller should have made an effort to post the item "Sold" before three days have gone by...

Quote:
I am not crying, but I wish sellers would follow some guide lines. First bidder/I'll Take It should have first rights.
I agree.... If "First bidder/I'll Take It" is the only and complete list of instructions the seller leaves. But it might be necessary to define those terms if used together. "First bidder" to me can possibly mean you are allowing me and others to make an offer, whereas "I'll Take It" means I accept your quoted price and conditions with the intent to buy the item under those conditions.

Its hard to satisfy everyone. All you can do is try to do the bet you can with the words you use to close any loop holes you don't want to have to deal with.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 03-08-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: clarity....................