Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 02-18-2014, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleshooter View Post
Educate me about why you couldn't shoot the shot shells in a regular rifled barrel. I have a couple of the Marlin 22Mag rifles and just curious. I use them in my Ruger Single Six as a snake gun, and they work really well.
Ed
These are smooth bored, like a shotgun, and I believe are actually a bit overbored (larger than 22 cal) so they throw a nice pattern. I don't believe they have a "choke" to them but they definitely pattern better than a rifled barrel. You can shoot rat shot in a 22 rifled barrel, but the rifling does not lend itself to good patterns past 10' or so. Shot just sprays everywhere.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:41 PM

Default Interesting

Not knowing anything about smooth bore, RF, shotguns I just had to Google them. Some interesting info out there. Mostly used for close quarter rodent shooting but, there were also mini pigeon throwers. Evidently Necco Wafer candy could be used in a pinch!

On Edit: Seems there is (was) also a 9mm rim fire version.

Last edited by ramos; 02-18-2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-19-2014, 01:01 AM

Singleshooter , here's one difference . I tried shooting Dump Rats with a Rifled barrel and Shot Shells and it only made the Rats jump a little . I had a friend who had a Win 61 with Shot Barrel . We set up Ann Page Pie " Tins " ( remember A&P ) and tried each Rifle . The Shot ( I think itwas called #12 Shot ) from the Rifled Barrel hardly dented the Pie "Tin" . The Smooth Bore Shot penetrated right thru the " Tin " . Can't remember what Brand the Rifled Barrel was , but had a chance to buy the 61 Smooth Bore and passed ......OUCH !

Last edited by xring; 02-19-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:34 AM

Default Marlin 25MG garden Gun

"....there were also mini pigeon throwers..."

When I used to go to Scout Camp we would shoot these little skeet, I think they called them 'mouse skeet" or some such name using these same rifles.
Great Fun!!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Supporting Member

Remington made a 572 Fieldmaster pump in smoothbore. I always thought it'd be a hoot for machine shed sparrows on the wing. They come up on gunbroker from time to time and command good money.

Chris
Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Supporting Member

Question

Just a thought:
It seems this type of gun is always in demand whenever they come up for sale. I wouldn't mind having one myself just for fun. So why hasn't someone like T/C or even Ruger (with their easily changed barrels) made an aftermarket smooth bore rimfire barrel? Plus there must be millions of old rimfire rifles with rusted out barrels that could be swapped over to a smooth bore that would otherwise go neglected. I've got a couple of oldies that don’t get shot anymore just because I have better/nicer that I could easily donate for a neat mod like this!
Another thought:
What would it take for a Gunsmith or even a knowledgeable tinkerer to drill out an old rimfire to a smooth bore like the Marlin M25?
Larry
Old 02-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Supporting Member

Larry I believe just a reamer and then lap smooth. Probably would need a .223 dia(if using a 22rf barrel) reamer to clean up the rifling yet not mess up the chamber.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Supporting Member

They are pricey little jewels, I only sold it for the amount I paid for, seems fair enough. Really needed the funds unfortunately.

Check this one out (not mine):

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=393488865
Old 02-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Supporting Member

PS a friend has a 22LR smoothbore and this 25MG has more "knockdown power"

Last edited by 17varminter; 02-19-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Supporting Member

Default drill.....

Brownells DiD offer a drill that would remove the rifling from a 22 LR barrel. Friend gunsmith has smoothbored and vent ribbed many Rem 572s.