Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 08-05-2008, 03:04 AM

Default chris1547???????? I need help here!!

This guy shipped me a rifle, cooper 17 javelina, and it was badly damaged in shipping and he is telling me it is my problem, not his and he doesn't have the money to give me back and he didn't insure the rifle. I am contacting him and am going to give him a chance to make this right and then I will go about this in the legal way! Just a heads up to other members!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 AM

Default sorry to hear the bad news

It is unusual to find a member here doing something like that but it does happen I guess. I have had nothing but great dealing with everyone of my friends at Saubier but a rotten egg does come along. You probably will have little success in the legal matter as the price is too low to hire an attorney and if it is out of state it will not be worth the $'s
Again, sorry
Brooks
Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Supporting Member

Insurance is too cheap not to buy on a expensive gun.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 AM

I read on another forum that the carrier can still be held liable whether you purchased insurance from the carrier or not. Apparently, filing suit in Small Claims Court is usually sufficient to get them to cough up the money.

It really sucks that he is making it your problem as you can't do anything. Only the shipper has any standing with the carrier. So, if he won't help at all, he's a real..., well, you know, one of those terms that you've probably used several times already.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:50 AM

Default How was it shipped?

UPS, USPS or FedX? was the damage due to careless packing or did the shipper mistreat the package?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:00 PM

It was Fedex and I would say a little of both to your other question. It should have been packaged better, and it should have been handled better. I would say more goes to the packing. It was also suppose to be insured and he is telling me that they wouldn't let him.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:01 PM

If he doesn't make the problem right we will be headed to small claims court. I am giving him a chance to make things right first though.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Supporting Member

Default Good luck

Unless he's in your state you'll spend 3 times the value of the entire rifle with no guarantee. Your best bet is Fedex, frankly I wouldn't ship a block of wood via Fedex. Had a driver set a barreled action on the porch with no signature, insured for 1000.00, while my sprinkler was going. Usually with a Cooper when they're damaged it's the stock that's broken at the wrist, usually it's better to get a used replacement and move on. Forget the BBB, ATF, FBI, local Police, there's been no crime and the last option is usually more painfull. Go to a lawyer, give him a couple of grand to go chase someone out of state and then kiss your money goodby(of course he'll explain that there is some risk that you'll have to pony up some more moola). I was fortunate on a similiar deal having a lawyer to discuss it with that had my interests at heart and his advice was that the minute I wrote a check to someone of the legal persuasion I just doubled or tripled my losses. Now if it's revenge you want, pull out that check book, clear your schedule if you have the time and energy to put into it. Good luck, I hope he's close by.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 08-05-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:26 PM

if you paid via check, see if it has cleared and if not ask the bank to put a hold on it. If you paid via credit card do the same with CC company. Money order could be tough.

thanks
rick
Old 08-05-2008, 03:35 PM

Default Fed Express

there are two different Federal Express shipment methods. Air or ground. Air shipments usually go well. Federal Express ground are self employed independent contractors. had have many problems with ground. driver refuses to deliver anything to my FFL dealer. had to travel 25 miles and jump thru hoopes to get packages. Federal Express also refuses to honor any insurance claims.

Chuck is correct I would not anything ship Federal Express period.

was the rifle packed with the bolt in the action? A friend of mine shipped a vintage 1949 Model 70 375 H&H with the bolt in the action. stock got cracked from the top to the bottom at the pistol grip. a stock that is almost impossible to find a replacement.