Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Default Orphan Martini text

Sometime ago a life long friend by the name of Roger A. Ferrell, a master gun builder, gave me his Martini 12/15 as he had lost interest in it.

The firing pin busing job was one of DeHass alternate methods where one drills out the old hole and thread a scope screw into the hole and then drill the screw to accept the firing pin. It was not a satisfactory solution and Roger warned me it had to be done over again by someone that knew what they were doing.

Well that's pronounced Vic Samuel of SSA Enterprises. Vic has fondled 4 of my 5 Martini's and his work is Very good ! Vic did his full firing pin conversion bushing solution which came out perfect as always.

I decide to replace the wood and have the action metal refinished. I requested Vic do his case hardening after he trued the face, and ground the action smooth with 400 grit.

Unfortunatley during the cooling down cycle of case hardeneing the action cracked. There was a flaw in the metal that no one could have known. The crack started on the left bottom rear and went out across the left side of the action to about 1/2 way. We both felt bad about the crack and Vic was kind enough to find me a replacement action, we shared the cost.

We canablized the cracked action and populated the replacement action with the "guts" of the cracked one.

That completed the Martini I call "Horse" as it is quite heavy - there are posts on one of these Saubier forums that show the results of this build.

The cracked action I call Orphan. I suggested that a "stop-crack" hole could be dirlled right beyond where the crack stopped. A skilled person with a mig/tig welder could weld the action and then grind it smooth. So Vic did just that and gave it back to me.

I was then on a hunt for all of the internal parts for a Martini 12/15. Our very own Double D sent me the complete action assembly for a Martini 12/15

He wanted a new bullet mold and new handles so I ordered off the specific mold and handles.

The internal assembly fitted the action, a little tight, but rather that than loose.

John Taylor of Taylor Machines countoured my new Green Mountain .224 barrel blank with an octagon taper, chambered for Winchester 22 WMR and fitted it to my action.

George Peterson of Tree Bone carving carved a fancy burl maple butt stock, and Macon gunstocks of Warsaw, MO did the matching forearm. My following post is a picture of Orphan Martini almost completed. It still needs to be blued but I think the Orphan is looking pretty good at this point.

John
Old 07-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Supporting Member

Default Orphan Martini

Nice rifle John, here's your pic moved over to match your text.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Supporting Member

Wow, very nice. That wood is stunning. Is the barrel SS or unblued? Adam
Old 07-29-2011, 11:44 AM

Default AB

At the time I purchased the Green Mountain barrel the Moly barrels were on sale so that is what I went with. Had the SS been on sale I would have done that. They were just 25 inch blanks. John Taylor machined a octagon taper that looks good.

I will have it and the action blued by a local Southern Marlyand gunsmith that still does the old fashion hot salts bluing method.

Once I get it done I'll post a final picture. I derive much pleasure by building guns. It seems like I always have 2 or 3 in the process of going together - I think you are the same way.

John